Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:43 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnsopa
No worries. The couple ran a bed and breakfast. We were just trying to find their BNB again and couldn't find anything online.
Hi John, I personally assumed no offence but yeah sadly NZ is a little bigger than that, if you know the town that would probably narrow it down a lot. Otherwise I'm sure you will still have an awesome trip.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:27 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Greymouth to Christchurch -- drive or take train?

OK, I'm back with another question...

Greymouth to Christchurch sometime around July 2. Question is whether to drive vs take TranzAlpine.

Google Maps is showing the drive to be 3.5 hours and it takes ALMOST the same route as the train (which seems expensive at 700 NZD for my family of five). We usually prefer driving but have heard the TransAlpine is a beautiful trip.

Will we get the same effect driving on our own? We will already have a rental car that we'll be picking up the week before in Queenstown -- after which we are driving to Fox Glacier then on toe Greymouth.

Thanks folks!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:03 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say in your case just drive. I have always wanted to do the TransAlpine and it is still on my list so probably will do it soon enough, the big bonus is the person who usually drives gets to enjoy the scenery. However when you have to buy tickets for that many people, and would have to drop off your rental car and pick up a new one and all that phaff, I would just keep the car and let the passengers enjoy the scenery.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 PM
savantx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, since selling the 996TT I have been on the lookout for a 997.2 with PDK but not a lot of these around clearly.

I am thinking of getting a Macan (GTS?) for my wife, is there any compelling reason not to just order one in the UK to save $30 - $40k?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:48 PM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Savantx,

the are a couple of things to think about, the first is, you have to fund it 100% up front. so unless you have some pounds you will have exchange fees, etc. You should be able to get the vat off it, if you buy from a supplier that does the scheme. On new cars it is fairly straight forward if the dealership wants to do it. Porsche generally don't have an issue doing it. Merc do. Most Porsche dealerships in the UK do indent ordering, so you place your order and wait 6-12 weeks. This could be an issue if you don't plan the logistics well or have a person on the ground. for example have the dealership drop the car off at the port for shipping or someone to rearrange if it misses the boat. The process isn't too bad, but it isn't a short one. Once it arrives here, compliance and gst payment and the way you go. I have not tested the warranty here, I am sure others may of done. I ve been told in theory they should honour it. but it is a risk to consider. if they don't, its a long way to send it back.

Last thing is perception, in NZ that it is an import, thus always at lower price then a NZ new. although in this case would of only ever been used on NZ roads. for 40k, I personally think its worth the effort + get an approved wife holiday in the UK.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savantx
Hi Guys, since selling the 996TT I have been on the lookout for a 997.2 with PDK but not a lot of these around clearly.

I am thinking of getting a Macan (GTS?) for my wife, is there any compelling reason not to just order one in the UK to save $30 - $40k?
Have a chat with Mark (Macca) at http://www.motecca.com or pm him here for a consult on importing a vehicle. He is straight up and has some history (ahem) here
Old 06-26-2017, 04:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Today Ive listed my personal 2017 Ford Focus RS for sale. Its the cheapest on the market. Hands down its one of the best cars Ive ever owned. Id put it in the top 3. Its the most fun to drive of my current fleet. Also the most capable in real world terms. Ive been trying to find ways of keeping it, but with the Alfa arrived to replace it I need to move it on.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1357816637.htm
Old 06-26-2017, 06:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I think the stripes look great. Got the banner on finally too. Had the wheels fully refurbished factory satin black (proper job). V1 hardwire kit and new tyres to be fitted next week. If it doesnt sell on before the next track day its destined to be my ride for NITT and SITT...
Attached Images        
Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks sharp Macca, very purposeful! Banner matches the brakes nicely. Great photos too.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Michael. I finally bought another DSLR. Really happy with how this came out. Car looks mint now.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:09 AM
shiraz
Racer

G'day, anybody have experience of v10 Touaregs? Buying advice?
Old 06-29-2017, 08:34 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

We arrived in Queenstown from Sydney late last night about halfway through our three week trip to OZ and NZ. Spent today driving to, from and at Milford Sound. Wow, what a great bit of road between Queenstown and Milford, especially between Te Anau and Milford. Reminds me of some great roads in Europe near the Alps. Wish I could've driven it in the spring in my GT4!

Y'all have some great scenery down here!
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2017, 01:30 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by shiraz
G'day, anybody have experience of v10 Touaregs? Buying advice?
My neighbour and good friend had one for a few years until the engine started making horrible clicking noises at around 250k km. He [dumped] replaced it with the V6 3.0 TDI and is very happy with that. I have the same V6 in my Q5. Love it. The v10 had more grunt but felt heavier.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:52 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

If I was buying a modern SUV I'd go for a V6 or V8 TDI over a V10 petrol any day.

Almost everything I've read indicated that while the V10's were great when new, the reality is that they need a lot of care and attention over time.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:55 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
We arrived in Queenstown from Sydney late last night about halfway through our three week trip to OZ and NZ. Spent today driving to, from and at Milford Sound. Wow, what a great bit of road between Queenstown and Milford, especially between Te Anau and Milford. Reminds me of some great roads in Europe near the Alps. Wish I could've driven it in the spring in my GT4!

Y'all have some great scenery down here!
Glad you're enjoying it. I'm yet to drive that route in a P car, have only done so in a rental swift, with snow starting to fall for part of the trip, so was very cautious.

Drive safe, have fun and remember to check in if you're in need of a coffee and a Porsche fix - am sure there's someone somewhere who'll show you around their respective locale.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?