Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Old 04-27-2017, 03:28 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Awesome Leong, looks like your squeezing everything out of the GT4.

I assume your not, but the gear selection display keeps showing 4 or N when you have problems finding 2nd, is the gate not opening for 2nd or can you get into 2nd but nothing is there? Is the new box under warranty? 31,000kms is a good effort usage wise.
Hey Pel,

Any chance you're bringing the GT4 to HD on the 14th? It'd be awesome to see you there - It could be 7 GT4's or more, if you did. You don't have to squeeze everything out of your's just because I'm trying to

There doesn't seem to be a gate at the time, so it won't go into second. As Mark said, you can work around it sometimes, by changing down when still travelling in a straight line. I've had this issue since new, but it's been getting worse recently. This weekend is the worst it's been. Porsche is replacing it under warranty. And the GT4 isn't my daily driver
Old 04-27-2017, 03:50 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
I don't (luckily) have many moments usually. Neither for Leong who attempted similar at the end of the day...
Haha, I now have two videos of you spinning off in front of me - but you're right, we really don't have many moments given the number of track miles. And interestingly, my only real moments have been at that same turn at Taupo. And we weren't the only ones who went gardening that day were we...

It's fun to be parry again with others. 5 x GT4 on track is as close to a one make series as exists today in Porsche Motorsport circles in NZ as far as I can tell. Although there is a range of experience in the seat, everyone seems to be driving these proficiently with typical lap times Sunday ranging from 1.41-1.45. .
Yes, Awesome to be driving with you again. Reminded me of SITT last year before you got too fast in the GT3. I selfishly hope that no one buys your GT4!

Do you think we'll see your GT3 back at the track?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Leong72
Yes, Awesome to be driving with you again. Reminded me of SITT last year before you got too fast in the GT3. I selfishly hope that no one buys your GT4!

Do you think we'll see your GT3 back at the track?
Likewise Leong, Likewise. Before that (2016 SITT) the most fun I had was when Paul and I both had 993s and chased each other on the 2014 SITT.

The GT4 for me is not so much about the car per se. After coming from a hot-rod 993 (a very raw car compared to the way it left the factory - probably some thing akin to a cross between a 993RS dialed up to 12) and a 991 GT3, the GT4 was always going to struggle to match those for visceral thrills.

The biggest attraction to the platform was to find someone to parlay with again. Its nice there are a few GT4 out on the track of course, but in all honesty chasing your *** (and hopefully catching you some time LOL) is the biggest attraction of the GT4 for me...

Keep your fingers crossed I still have it for 2018 SITT. But before that we have 2017 NITT. Im very much looking forward to piloting the GT4 around Manfield as its one of my favorite tracks...
Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Leong72
Just did a post and video on Sundays trackday in the GT4 forum.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9872...l#post14138344
nice vid Leong, when you back in Welly?
Old 04-28-2017, 02:08 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the air cooled party over? 18 for sale on trade me - with some just hanging. Take your pick. Good news for the real enthusiasts.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Is the air cooled party over? 18 for sale on trade me - with some just hanging. Take your pick. Good news for the real enthusiasts.
Like the Auckland property market I suspect the air cooled party is at a hiatus. There are far more spectators at TM auctions than actual buyers. I'll call it over when well presented and priced manual RHD 964 coupes can't find a home.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Like the Auckland property market I suspect the air cooled party is at a hiatus. There are far more spectators at TM auctions than actual buyers. I'll call it over when well presented and priced manual RHD 964 coupes can't find a home.
I think that the well presented cars will always find a home at a premium so what we might be seeing is that the cars lingering on trade me all seem to have something that makes them not as appealing, with the exception of the original long hood 911T and the 964 and 993 turbo's which are hanging because the sellers are just dreamers. These "somethings" might be tipo, targa, left to right hand conversions, left hand drive, dodgy import history, awful colour combo's, non tasteful modifications etc. But each to their own and the market will sort it out.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree with Dave. To some degree I think the party is over.

It hasnt been helped by the renaissance of new cars we live in. For example, new/near new GT3/4 and cars like the Ford Focus RS at the other end of the spectrum (Ive been so impressed with this car and everyone who has taken me up on driving it has been too - made even better by the Cobb tune I now have which improves drive-ability and lifts HP to 396 and Torque to 570nm). Once the old girls start to creep to mid 100s there is alot of other aspirational kit out there. Last year September I sold my 993 and for a few dollars more six weeks later bought my GT4. I wont say one car is better than the other as they are both icons in their own way, but in terms of value the GT4 was only 10 months old at the time and is likely a future classic.

Cheap money may be coming to an end and prices in NZ I personally feel have well overstepped the mark. In many instances vendors in NZ are asking more than Malton in UK for similar mileage and providence cars. As I understand from being "in the business" the NZ market is very thin, often only 1 or 2 buyers for a particular car at any one time. The global hype has certainly meant well heeled uneducated buyers have stepped into the market and purchased cars in the last 12 months at what I think were unrealistic prices, but this is exactly the same pattern you see in any asset class going through astimulated growth phase. Usually there is a correction. In te UK things have quietended down a bit and I suspect that will continue as they exit EU and go through some pain economically. Currently their market has been artificially supported by their cheap GBP and this has led to a flurry of export of both product and services. Slowly the new cars in UK will rise in price due to manufacturers running out of forward cover and the if the GBP lifts further it will pretty much kill arbitrage opportunities for products and services across most segments. The result will be economic funk which will likely support the softness in the RHD classic car market. Without the UK classic car yardstick in play we are just another small isolated market, regardless of our economics there is a ceiling to what Kiwis will realistically pay (for anything!).
Old 04-28-2017, 06:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another 964 tipo listed today, a cabriolet this time. I don't think any of us had that on our bucket list and that's what it comes down to for me. Like real estate down a south facing gully in a flood zone.

Macca, I marvel at your ability to play car 'frogger' and come out ahead but for us mortals I suspect that at some stage we'll be left owning a Porsche mechanical own goal, be it engine or transmission, if we went to water cooled. They really have dropped the ball on so many drivetrains post the 993.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
\. They really have dropped the ball on so many drivetrains post the 993.
I 100% agree with this John.

I wouldn't entertain and new(ish) car today without a Porsche warranty. Its not just Porsche, but almost every new car released these days has warranty/recall concerns. They are moving fast to push out new models and I dont think they are developing the cars as thoroughly as before. Even their Halo cars have issues. Look at the 991 GT3/RS engine debarcle. And how would you feel if you just bought a RS/911R with the "old" 4.0L engine that revs to 8500 (911R) to be show a new 991.2 GT3 that now has a totally different valve train architecture, oil pump, crank and revs to 9000 rpm. Thats a home goal by Porsche themselves in admitting what they sold before was not quite right...

964s and 993 sit well in various guises, condition and provenience 100K or below IMO. Once you start talking 150K you can buy a whole host of new/near new sports cars with warranties. they each have their own thrills. Take for example my new 911 Carrera with Manual box. Car has nice options, looks great, goes like the clappers (has 0-100 time faster than a 996TT) and costs only a little more than what I see a white 993 being advertised on TM for.

Last edited by Macca; 04-28-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:16 AM
Leong72
Instructor

Originally Posted by gt38088
nice vid Leong, when you back in Welly?
Weekend after Targa.... email sent
Old 04-29-2017, 04:36 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I 100% agree with this John.

I wouldn't entertain and new(ish) car today without a Porsche warranty. Its not just Porsche, but almost every new car released these days has warranty/recall concerns. They are moving fast to push out new models and I dont think they are developing the cars as thoroughly as before. Even their Halo cars have issues. Look at the 991 GT3/RS engine debarcle. And how would you feel if you just bought a RS/911R with the "old" 4.0L engine that revs to 8500 (911R) to be show a new 991.2 GT3 that now has a totally different valve train architecture, oil pump, crank and revs to 9000 rpm. Thats a home goal by Porsche themselves in admitting what they sold before was not quite right...

964s and 993 sit well in various guises, condition and provenience 100K or below IMO. Once you start talking 150K you can buy a whole host of new/near new sports cars with warranties. they each have their own thrills. Take for example my new 911 Carrera with Manual box. Car has nice options, looks great, goes like the clappers (has 0-100 time faster than a 996TT) and costs only a little more than what I see a white 993 being advertised on TM for.
I agree the party is over, but only for B/C grade stock.

I partially think the price climb is just an inflation adjustment, everything from houses, shares to incomes have doubled in value over the last 8 years, so why not cars too?

Actually new ones are cheaper than they have ever been given Macca has a new 991 for $175K, it cost $160K for my 3.2 Carrera in 1987.

Some of it is just people realising the ownership of inspirational poster and magazine cars from their yesteryear, and nothing to do with a value or best bang for buck consideration.

In a perfect world you have one of each, you get the technology and comfort, but then you also get a real Pcar experience and true style.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:28 PM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Agree largely prices have reached a plateau in terms of rapid growth in the air cooled market. Costs of maintaining them are starting to increase as parts suppliers scale back production. for example exhausts, there is 3-4 options, on the newer cars there is 20 or more off the shelf options. I although have no interest in selling my 85 targa and buying something more contemporary. The 996 currently just fills that need(although very tempted by the 991's). Given Rons run on Sunday in Auckland, most choose a newer watercooled model rather than the classic stuff for this type of club day. I think mostly because of the comfort, forgiving nature (ABS, Traction control, etc).
Old 04-30-2017, 06:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sammaw
Agree largely prices have reached a plateau in terms of rapid growth in the air cooled market. Costs of maintaining them are starting to increase as parts suppliers scale back production. for example exhausts, there is 3-4 options, on the newer cars there is 20 or more off the shelf options. I although have no interest in selling my 85 targa and buying something more contemporary. The 996 currently just fills that need(although very tempted by the 991's). Given Rons run on Sunday in Auckland, most choose a newer watercooled model rather than the classic stuff for this type of club day. I think mostly because of the comfort, forgiving nature (ABS, Traction control, etc).
I recall a Rons run with Doug in the 964 C2 and me in the Cayman R with PDK. I had one moment where the rear end stepped out. Doug recounted many moments in the 964. Dial the speed back 10km/hr on average and he would have been fine. As I’m only driving 964s now I pick the events accordingly to suit. Same with our road trips.

Maintenance costs are up there for older cars, especially if you don't spanner yourself. I'm not sure how the new buyers are factoring that into their decisions. Given that some sellers don't appear to actively maintain their air cooled cars it could be a mine field.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Part of it where you are at in life and what role you want your toy to play in your lifestyle.

Many people are busy and just want to get in it and drive it, then give it a monthly wash. Others like to keep it pristine in the garage and just attend Cars & Coffee and club runs. A few (well only Jon that I know of) want to pull it to bits and work on it.

We live in the final equinox of the gasoline engines and the manufacturers have provided us a last smorgasbord of automotive delights whilst the band is playing Auld Lang Syne on the deck...

What ever takes your fancy. Some are pilots, some are polishers some are posers. Pick your meat fill your plate and gorge as your a long time dead!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?