Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Looks like Pel's black GT: is being speculated. Back on market for 30k more lol. I think its a bit rich trying to punt it as a mint original example when it clearly has been modified for intended purpose and used that way lol...
A few more $ and they have your GT4. It makes no sense to me, but then again asking price is just that.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just testing Johns theory to see if I post on here from my PC that my iPhone posts turn up as they havent yet appeared.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just testing Johns theory to see if I post on here from my PC that my iPhone posts turn up as they havent yet appeared.
I can see it on my ipad. I've taken to making an extra posting on my rebuild thread as it seems to force the system to show anything else posted before.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:23 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
A few more $ and they have your GT4. It makes no sense to me, but then again asking price is just that.
At 30% more or $60K it is quite a bit more than a few dollars.............

I do think the price is out there too, but cheap compared to the other 996 GT3 for sale at circa $165K, though it is a 6.1...??

I hope both current owners like them as they will be owning them for a while......
Old 04-01-2017, 03:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
At 30% more or $60K it is quite a bit more than a few dollars............. I do think the price is out there too, but cheap compared to the other 996 GT3 for sale at circa $165K, though it is a 6.1...?? I hope both current owners like them as they will be owning them for a while......
I thought it was the $165k one. There must be a point where prospective owners become concerned at the age of these cars and increasing maintenance if they are to be used as intended.

Last edited by John McM; 04-01-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:07 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good day at the track last week in the SC chasing newer cars.

Paul, congrats on the 944, if you've got a couple of cars similar speed, doesn't matter weather they are Toyotas or Porsches, it will be fun, Pete, Neil, Paul Feilding, Steff, Gerry, Matt, yourself is quite a fleet if you can pull everyone together for track days. I wish we could do this with the air cooled boys.

It's amazing how the colour of a car changes people's behaviour. Driving this green Cayman all I've had is smiles and waves. Many people taking pictures and even a mother introduce her son after parking it and asking if he could take a photo of the interior. In 20 years of Porsche ownership I've never driven a Porsche that has elicited so much positive response.

There's a lesson here. Make your next Porsche a "Jelly Bean" colour and bath in the light of a public vilified by the brightness it brings to a gloomy Auckland day!
Was walking the dog and spied the GT4 parked outside the cruising club, had a snoop around, the car looks fantastic in the flesh. My GT4 is at the wrap shop getting a nice safe "Saturn Nero" wrap, wanted Carmine Red, however the Nero is a good blend with Agate Grey round the door sills etc

I don't mind the agate grey but wrapped to preserve the paint for track days.

I've visited Auckland 5 times for overnight trips in the last four weeks. I try not to stay longer than 24hrs.

Yesterday I went to visit Leong in East Auckland leaving Mt Eden at 4pm after a huge 24 hours that included moving a new arrival Boxster S from customs to compliance, getting it complied, plated/registered, detailed and photographs h, renting a storage unit for it, having the GT4 services, getting the GT3 exhaust swapped back to stock, going to the Milford Cruising club Porsche meet and a dozen other things. I'm a big fan of Uber when moving cars around.
Agreed, the traffic has made Auckland nearly untenable, first world problem, but I noticed how heavy the GT4 clutch is whilst sitting in traffic today, Auckland traffic in the 930 was far worse, part of the reason that drove me to sell.

Looks like Pel's black GT: is being speculated. Back on market for 30k more lol. I think its a bit rich trying to punt it as a mint original example when it clearly has been modified for intended purpose and used that way lol...
Originally Posted by kiwi 911
At 30% more or $60K it is quite a bit more than a few dollars.............

I do think the price is out there too, but cheap compared to the other 996 GT3 for sale at circa $165K, though it is a 6.1...??

I hope both current owners like them as they will be owning them for a while......
The owner has the bug, and thus ended up with a few P Cars cars 930, 964, 993, 996GT3, 997GT3, 991GTS

He had ideas of Targa etc, however, like most of us, he just doesn't have the time, he's open to selling the 997.1GT3 (done 17kms) if the 996 doesn't move, I think he's genuine about selling, he's asking slightly more than my ask, will see what happens

The 996.2 GT3 that was auctioned in Wellington a few weeks ago was purchased by the guy sniffing around Paul's one, purchase price was over 120k I think, however the car seems closer to factory than my old one.

It's actually case in point to the vehicle boom experienced in general, attention focuses on air cooled cars but is not confined to, I sold my 964 to Aaron for 40k a few years ago, at the time, it was market, it's now worth double that in some (most) eyes.

Same time, the Black GT3 was sitting on TM at 65k, not moving, if he gets close to 130k, both appreciated equally. Normal water pumping 997etc don't appear to have suffered a cent of depreciation either.

Last edited by Pel; 04-01-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:21 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was the $165k one. There must be a point where prospective owners become concerned at the age of these cars and increasing maintenance if they are to be used as intended.
Yep I think so, if I was keeping the 996GT3 the coolant lines were going to be done.

After spending 14k at Motorscience doing that and other "while we are there's" on the 996TT, then selling for the price I purchased a couple of months later, I wasn't keen to do that again.

I still think the sweet spot for what most of us do is a base Cayman with a couple of options, you can get a manual transmission, fast enough for the track whilst not being warp speed for the road, size is about right, well priced if sourced correctly, weight is reasonable so wont hammer consumables, plus a warranty to boot.

Yet none of us own one, whats not to like?

Last edited by Pel; 04-01-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with you Pel. The Cayman is in a sweet spot on our roads. Not too wide.

I enjoy the GT4, but not in traffic or around town. The clutch is heavy, the shifts are very notchy.

Sorry I don't bump into you. I caught up with the old boys. They came out to look at the car and said they liked it. It attracts some attention.

The early GT3s will be irrelevant to all but collectors and bonnet polishers soon. A GT car becomes irrelevant as soon as it's too valuable to use for its intended purpose. They aren't cheap to repair and parts are more difficult now.

Frankly there's no point at all IMO to own a GT car unless you are using it on the track semi frequently. They are not good road cars and often not as pretty or well resolved as the S or GTS variant of the same model. On NZ roads a Base car would be a better drive! In 30 years time I know what would be the better club drive car...

GT3s have many owners on their title.especially the pre PASM cars. I think people buy them for bragging rights and Sunday fun runs on B roads to find they are too compromised for our goat tracks.

Pel - I'd be keen to know your views on the GT4 once driven in anger? I had a chance to pilot mine hard enough to understand how the chassis works (its still 100% as it left the factory). It's quicker than my GT3 on back roads, feels more like my 993 than my GT3. I can see why these aren't changing hands much...
Old 04-01-2017, 05:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I'm on a discovery journey with Herman as I pull down the engine and there's been a fair few WTF moments as physical evidence and third party information fill in what was going on with the work done on my car. The lesson here is pull back all of the frippery like coffee machines and you have a business designed to extract as much profit out of you as possible, which increases for them if they can get away with shoddy work and denial of responsibility when they F-up. If you want to own an older car, get a mechanic you can truly trust or learn to DIY. I've chosen the latter. Once I have resealed this engine there's really only transmission work that is outside my capabilities.

The above experience has formed a view on Porsche ownership. The next one will be new and won't be owned out of warranty. The sweet spot is the base Cayman or S. just a matter of working out when. I have a plan re a long Europe trip and a new car delivery fits in nicely, with returning it to NZ after the fact.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:47 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes to the base Cayman. Compelling value and I'd get one in Miami blue or Carmine red. Stick with base wheels and have them blacked in NZ. Chubby jobs for the rough roads. That's it, no other options.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:54 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Beautiful colour Macca. Haven't seen that yet in the real but a great choice.
A bit like Charteruse green on an old long hood. Well, maybe not but it's probably my favourite old colour, not as obvious as Viper green, a bit softer.
But I do agree, a jelly bean new car is as good as a jelly bean old car!
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2017, 01:56 AM
Maxem
Drifting

And of course my second favourite...
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2017, 02:03 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Living in Jakarta gave me some perspective. Humans ability to adapt/cope is amazing when the job opportunities are scarce elsewhere. I could only do it for four years, others will do it for life. Auckland traffic is nowhere near Jakarta madness, yet, and the reality is that we are already adapting e.g. The engine reseal items were brought to me, I didn't physically shop for them - $30 tube of molykote, delivered freight free in 2 days.

As noted, living close to where you work is important in Auckland, which is one reason why the inner city burbs are full of professionals working in the CBD. Although that is changing. Our new neighbours are Latvian, Taiwanese and British. I don't see any of them commuting.

In my opinion, life as a semi retired person in the Bays wouldn't be eclipsed anywhere else in NZ. The beaches and general lifestyle is as good as it gets. Like many here we have tried to work out how to downsize and release equity, while staying in the same broad location. If there's an answer we haven't found it yet. The Unitary Plan offers nothing as new builds on 400m2 approach $2m. Maybe we'll end up in the provinces. I suspect not as it would be a money decision which as we all know ignore the emotions and don't last.
I've not really had any traffic probs in the 15 years I've been in Auckland. Easy commute across to Mt Welly every day and back is consistently 9 k's in 20mins. Every now and then a route change is nescessary, for eg, Lunn ave bogged down a few years ago with all the action there.
Came out of Tauranga heading North Thursday evening and that was terrible. Spent the back end of the week at the Maadi cup at Karapiro but stayed in Hamilton and that was just as dire after work.
I did think that I would move back to the bay one day but I don't know about that now, Auckland is a great place if you don't need to get involved in traffic.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yes to the base Cayman. Compelling value and I'd get one in Miami blue or Carmine red. Stick with base wheels and have them blacked in NZ. Chubby jobs for the rough roads. That's it, no other options.
Base the landed cost on double the Vat inclusive price, based on Macca's reckoning so a poverty spec Cayman is $86,000
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2017, 03:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I've not really had any traffic probs in the 15 years I've been in Auckland. Easy commute across to Mt Welly every day and back is consistently 9 k's in 20mins. Every now and then a route change is nescessary, for eg, Lunn ave bogged down a few years ago with all the action there. Came out of Tauranga heading North Thursday evening and that was terrible. Spent the back end of the week at the Maadi cup at Karapiro but stayed in Hamilton and that was just as dire after work. I did think that I would move back to the bay one day but I don't know about that now, Auckland is a great place if you don't need to get involved in traffic.
Bays to CBD is lengthening to 30 minutes at peak. It was 21 minutes in 2003. A lot of it is rat run traffic coming in from Glen Innes/PT England. We're going to see more of that as those areas gentrify. As you no doubt notice, outside commuting hours the traffic in the Bays is light. At night it's close to non existent.

Last edited by John McM; 04-02-2017 at 03:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?