Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes John - this happens to me all the time :-(
Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Yes John - this happens to me all the time :-(
This is a known issue with no fix. I had my online presence as no show so changed it. I hope that may help.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

As for how do we cope with Auckland? Without thermals

I've taken away the locations to protect the illusions that global warming is impacting all regions equally.....
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ill try changing my profile. Thanks for the heads up. The day time temps are comparable in summer form my experience so fat, its the over night temps that are the key differentiator, also much lower humidity here and despite the charts lower precipitation (i.e. we did not get the rain the North got last week). Best of all its 6 minutes to teh track and every evening I go for a 40 min detox drive, usually can access some decent empty driving roads within 4-8 mins from the house :-)
Old 03-14-2017, 04:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ill try changing my profile. Thanks for the heads up. The day time temps are comparable in summer form my experience so fat, its the over night temps that are the key differentiator, also much lower humidity here and despite the charts lower precipitation (i.e. we did not get the rain the North got last week). Best of all its 6 minutes to teh track and every evening I go for a 40 min detox drive, usually can access some decent empty driving roads within 4-8 mins from the house :-)
I'm not actually a hot climate person. Mind you I also baulk at single digits. As the engine rebuilds will likely be in the garage over Winter we've had the heat pump man around to quote on putting a split in there. I want about 17C year round in there.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:36 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

718 S ?? Macca.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:52 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
718 S ?? Macca.
Else GT4 maybe? Loving the updates Macca, and nice to see your QF for the first time.

John - love that idea of garage aircon for summer afternoons and winter all-nighters. I feel guilty parking the Turbo in mine during the summer actually. After driving back from the office, a full Turbo's worth of stored heat just becomes underfloor heating for the kids' room above, though just garage ventilation would be cheaper to fight that transfer I suppose. In winter it's a kindness of course, but their room is thermostatically heated then anyway.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm not actually a hot climate person. Mind you I also baulk at single digits. As the engine rebuilds will likely be in the garage over Winter we've had the heat pump man around to quote on putting a split in there. I want about 17C year round in there.
Many properties such as ours have thermal bores. Ours is capped but runs under the garage floor and keeps it a bit warmer than otherwise. For free. Ive got a digital weather station in there and by way of example is currently 12 outside and 22 in the garage. I dont believe Ive seen it under 20 and we have no heating on this time of year...
Old 03-14-2017, 06:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes Graeme takes the cake. impressed with this. Nice package. Good spec. White over black wheels/full leather etc.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

some fleet there Macca. I can't imagine the back road driving comparisons. Woohoo!!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Anyone driving SHW22 in the next few weeks be aware that there's been a lot of road subsidence on the ridge. Some of those areas are getting worse and some are new and unmarked. They will damage a 911 at speed.

This year I expect to Hook up around 40-50k km of back road drives. Probably more than Doug amazingly! I'm looking for interesting Routes Taupo to Auckland that can still allow the journey in under 4 hours. Please PM me if you have a favourite route (Ron told me about an old Taupo Rd route but I can't seem to find how you connect it to Rotorua in the maps. I'm also scouting roads in the vicinity for a business venture so will do a tonne if exploring in the winter in the Focus.

So far having racked up nearly 7000 km of driving in the last month and having witnessed a number of incidences from overturned logging trucks to a t boned car and one in a Ditch I would have to say that the two biggest causes of fatalities on our roads in NZ are not SPEED related but:

Due to the poor condition of our roading infrastructure (dirty side verges that allow small margins of error, narrow single lane arterial with limited overtaking and slow vehicle bays, width of road, poorly cambered surfaces, bumpy sections and general topographical challenges), wildlife etc

AND

Driver inattentive behaviour emanating from the prolific use of smartphone devises that at open road speeds take drivers eyes off the road for seconds at a time which due to the above rapidly changing conditions can be critical...

I've traveled in over 35 countries in my life and I've driven extensively in around half of those at least. Apart from driving in India (on my Enfield) and Thailand (on my moped) I can pretty much say the open roads in NZ are more challenging than most I've encountered in any G29 country. With all these immigrant fuelled government inflows they really need to massively overhaul SHW1 infrastructure in NZ IMO and better prepare drivers with a more comprehensive mandatory licensing scheme. At the AA yesterday in Penrose while I was paying to register my new cars I witnessed a Chinese guy with limited English trying to renew his licence which had expired 6 years previously! When the incredulous staff told him he would need to re sit his licence due to the fact it had expired so long ago he shrugged walked off got in his van and drove off....!!!

#Tania###?# what the heck is happening?

Sorry guys. Rant over. Seeing this country through eyes that haven't been tainted in the last 11 years by the PC and beauractice malaise we call a democracy is a bit frustrating but overall it's great to be back. Dare I say it sometimes I think the place needs a bit more Trump/May in it but that's another debate...

:-)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Interesting Macca, visible on iphone but not desktop.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt38088
some fleet there Macca. I can't imagine the back road driving comparisons. Woohoo!!
Name:  MAN-truck-in-Martini-Racing-livery-for-transporting-Porsche-cars.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  228.2 KB

Macca's next purchase?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:02 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

One of each please.... On second thoughts swap out the cayman and the panamera for a gt3/rs
Old 03-14-2017, 08:53 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

I'm looking for interesting Routes Taupo to Auckland that can still allow the journey in under 4 hours.
Pretty much anything not passing through Gisborne should meet the latter? One of the slower more interesting routes could include Mangakino, Wharepapa, Kawhia, Raglan, Limestone Downs.

...I would have to say that the two biggest causes of fatalities on our roads in NZ are not SPEED related but:

Due to the poor condition of our roading infrastructure (dirty side verges that allow small margins of error, narrow single lane arterial with limited overtaking and slow vehicle bays, width of road, poorly cambered surfaces, bumpy sections and general topographical challenges), wildlife etc

AND

Driver inattentive behaviour emanating from the prolific use of smartphone devises that at open road speeds take drivers eyes off the road for seconds at a time which due to the above rapidly changing conditions can be critical...
Very true. Just one of the above factors is bad enough already, but combined they become lethal. I would add that driver inattention is not limited to smartphone use. Some people seem to daydream happily along while hardly ever loking beyond the back end of the car in front.

Further compounding factors include car condition (especially underinflated tyres, or just undertreaded tyres in the wet), weather conditions, and driver conditions (including fatigue).

I also suspect that loan cars from panel beaters and garages must have claimed a few scalps lately as the older ones often lack the full complement of electronic aids that newer drivers have come to rely on implicitly. One way of finding out how much that stuff helps someone take a particular bend at say 80 kph with an odd line is for them to try and take an unassisted car around that bend in the same manner.

...when the incredulous staff told him he would need to re sit his licence due to the fact it had expired so long ago he shrugged walked off got in his van and drove off....!!!

#Tania###?# what the heck is happening?
Don't disturb her Macca - she could be on the verge of uncovering someone for having added a full stop to their personalised plate.

Dare I say it sometimes I think the place needs a bit more Trump/May in it but that's another debate...
James or Teresa?

On the road condition front, perhaps be careful what you wish for Macca. To repeat a post from some years back:

Originally Posted by 996tnz
For me, speed enforcement jumped the shark when the idiocy of varied holiday tolerances got past the sanity police, but the next chapter is almost written and a far greater threat to your favourite roads Doug.

The recent media headlines have all thrown the focus on the hundred or two kilometres of newly built divided motorway that is under consideration for a 110 limit (shouldn't be called a motorway anyway in my book if under 130) but only a sentence or two devoted to the much more important aspect of the same speed review which is that they're considering dropping the limit from 100 down much lower on many of NZ's B and C roads. So we'd be getting an extra 10 kph on about 100 kms of road while losing 20 or 30 kph on potentially tens of thousands of kms of our more interesting roads.

Knowing that it would be political suicide to increase the commuting time of the majority, I'm picking they would hammer the sparsely populated back roads and byways the hardest. No points for guessing that they will use the safety angle to push it through, before later using the lowered speed limits to justify cutting back on related road maintenance since people aren't going fast enough for potholes to be a problem anyway. Sometimes I despair at how we fall for it again and again...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?