Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 01:25 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Nice colour, never liked it until recently. Sounds good too. Starting to miss mine a bit on these summer evenings. No idea of finish date.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:33 AM
911PWR
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Just a quick intro from a NZ based 964 owner.

I recently joined RL but have been viewing various topics on and off over the years.

Previously owned a 72 and 73 E's.

I purchased 91 Tip in November. Then Nathan Maisey made his 89 C4 manual available. I think it lasted less then 24 hours on trademe. Fine wine and trademe are not good companions, my better half tells me.

I got my 2nd biggest grin when driving an aircooled Porsche, after driving the C4 from Hamilton to Auckland before Xmas. The last time that grin happened was in 2004, driving my 72 Carrera RS rep from Tauranga to Auckland.

At this point I'm really enjoying the C4. The tip is great also and I have ordered some bits for it to upkeep the maintenance. Unsure about concrete future plans for the C2 tip but would like to go the lightening route with it, exhaust etc. I think this will be the car I will learn a lot about Porsche 911s.

I am getting inspiration from others that have gone before. Reading John MCMs thread on his C4s is definitely confidence inspiring, as one example.

I usually drive my hobby cars in the weekends but not always. At some stage, I hope to attend some local meets, gatherings , what have you and meet some of you.
cheers,
Vernon Chand.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:43 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Welcome Vernon - sounds like you have come to the right place. Many of us will be at Hampton Downs tomorrow avo if you want to come down for a nosey........
Old 01-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PWR
Hi,

Just a quick intro from a NZ based 964 owner.

I recently joined RL but have been viewing various topics on and off over the years.

Previously owned a 72 and 73 E's.

I purchased 91 Tip in November. Then Nathan Maisey made his 89 C4 manual available. I think it lasted less then 24 hours on trademe. Fine wine and trademe are not good companions, my better half tells me.

I got my 2nd biggest grin when driving an aircooled Porsche, after driving the C4 from Hamilton to Auckland before Xmas. The last time that grin happened was in 2004, driving my 72 Carrera RS rep from Tauranga to Auckland.

At this point I'm really enjoying the C4. The tip is great also and I have ordered some bits for it to upkeep the maintenance. Unsure about concrete future plans for the C2 tip but would like to go the lightening route with it, exhaust etc. I think this will be the car I will learn a lot about Porsche 911s.

I am getting inspiration from others that have gone before. Reading John MCMs thread on his C4s is definitely confidence inspiring, as one example.

I usually drive my hobby cars in the weekends but not always. At some stage, I hope to attend some local meets, gatherings , what have you and meet some of you.
cheers,
Vernon Chand.
Welcome, any pics...
Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 PM
911PWR
4th Gear

Thanks for the welcome.

Sadly I'm sitting in an air conditioned office this afternoon, thinking there must surely be better things to do, but can't get away.

Will post pictures in a couple of days ..my next challenge, dropping a 964 engine looks easier.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone got some pics from today?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PWR
Thanks for the welcome.

Sadly I'm sitting in an air conditioned office this afternoon, thinking there must surely be better things to do, but can't get away.

Will post pictures in a couple of days ..my next challenge, dropping a 964 engine looks easier.
Vernon,

As you can see this thread has less activity than in the past. The quality of the access app on iOS devices and the lack of privacy are two factors. Equally, the regular posters aren’t as active as they once were in acquiring cars and doing things to them. I update the build thread you’ve been reading, but post day to day banter mostly on FB. There are two active closed groups on FB, “Rennsport Gruppe” and “Air-Cooled NZ”.

Dropping an engine is not easy in a home garage but certainly possible. I know, as I’ve done it. I hope that my new scissor lift will make it very easy. Once you can do this, all work is in scope, or at least my ego thinks it is!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 PM
911PWR
4th Gear

Hi John,

cheers. I meant that engine drop would be easier , relatively speaking, than posting pictures on a forum, and I agree , its so much easier to post pictures on to a platform like FB.

I'm unlikely to attempt an engine drop anytime soon..
Carry on the good work. I'll be in touch with questions if you will.

The midnight blue is a 91 tip. Its a fantastic car. I took it for its longest drive today since purchase in November 16. But it needs some TLC.

The silver 89 C4 is nicely setup and fun to drive. I installed a primary bypass on it but will take it off and get a cat and secondary bypass. Its actually more comfortable than the non lowered tip. Feels more RWD than the C2 tip for some reason.
Plan for the 91 tip is is to sort out some minor oil leaks, valve adjustment, change wheels to 17".
Likely lower the tip with the tried and tested combinations, get a smaller steering wheel, Cup style mirrors and one of the exhaust bypass pipes.

Then I may have to 'decide' to keep one only.

Enjoy the pictures.
Attached Images      
Old 01-22-2017, 04:53 PM
PHG
Racer

So heres a question guys.. Boxter or Cayman?
Or looking at 996 Cabrio, but manual..I recall some saying a manual in Ak is too hard.. thoughts?
Got to get the dog in somehow..!
Old 01-25-2017, 06:58 AM
PHG
Racer

I think this thread is officially dead.....
Old 01-25-2017, 01:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
I think this thread is officially dead.....
Or at least on life support. The core posters are less active and there is more diversity in interests. However the biggest factor for me is the App. FB wins hands down on that front and I don't feel the need to get the aluminum foil hat out while using it

Last edited by John McM; 01-25-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:03 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

In all fairness, Facebook probably needs a foil hat more than this

The thread is still alive!!! I'd expect the lack of posts has a lot to do with people being busy over summer. Would be good to see people down at caffeine & classics if there's anyone with spare time Sunday morning.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
In all fairness, Facebook probably needs a foil hat more than this

The thread is still alive!!! I'd expect the lack of posts has a lot to do with people being busy over summer. Would be good to see people down at caffeine & classics if there's anyone with spare time Sunday morning.
Filtering and Closed Groups are your friend with FB. That said, it would be a lot easier there if you could filter out by key words e.g. any posts to do with Trump.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
So heres a question guys.. Boxter or Cayman?
Or looking at 996 Cabrio, but manual..I recall some saying a manual in Ak is too hard.. thoughts?
Got to get the dog in somehow..!
Hi Phil, whats the budget? How big is the dog?

I have a 25kg Bulldog, technically you could put a dog in the parcel tray of a Cayman, however the sun baking down would be a bit cruel, so effectively you have same space in both cars (front passenger seat). Same goes for a 911, I found lifting a dog into the back seat too hard, and not nice on the car.

There's a 08 Carrera 4 asking 83k, looks to be gen 2

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1249321900.htm

Or this 2014 Cayman looks good value, will have 3 year warranty etc, it's not an S but I would assume a 14 Cayman would be quicker all round than the previous S model anyway, last of the Caymans that doesn't sound like a WRX too.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1118722961.htm

Or the PDK Boxster at 50K?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1245684639.htm

Or this looks to be a reasonable price point, keep the change from Turbo for something else?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...1218514455.htm

Phil if it's all about the dog, go the Boxster, however I think it's least pleasing car on the eye, subjective opinion of course.

I'm a bit busy with the baby, I still prefer this thread for it's simplicity, once the FB gets long it becomes hard to follow.

Going to get a single axle trailer made up for the SC, was looking at the Furtura low loaders, however someone who used a dual axle gave me an unfavorable review, thought they flexed too much on uneven surfaces pulling out of driveways etc. Has anyone checked these out?

http://www.futuratrailers.com/

Last edited by Pel; 01-26-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:16 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great looking trailers Pel. I am no trailer expert but would assume that weight distribution on a single axle will be much more important, especially if loaded with a 911 with its weight balance. More bounce on and off the tow bar.

Not an issue towing down the motorway to HD but more bumpy roads to Taupo, Manfield or some parts around the South Island

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?