Notices

Importing LHD 997.2 RS to New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:00 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Importing LHD 997.2 RS to New Zealand

I'm the process of importing my 2011 997.2 RS to New Zealand and in order to get compliance I need to prove the RS is a collector car. One of the requirements is less than 20k production volume which I've obviously met. The car needs to have historic value and a mention in a top publication stating it is a collector car is needed.

What does everyone here think? Is the 997.2 RS a collector already or a future collector car? I would be grateful for anyone that can provide any suggestions or links stating the RS is a collector. The NZ transportation authority is being a little picky with my compliance ...
Edit
Old 02-01-2020, 05:05 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Were you successful with your import?

Back home in NZ right now..... and thinking at some point in the future I may need to do exactly what you were trying. In my case 997.1 RS

Matty

Old 02-01-2020, 08:52 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

I ended up taking a gig in Australia so the import process is on hold. Car is still stored in California. I'll be finally moving to NZ in Q2 of 2021. I've asked a few people and it's possible as long as you can prove its a collector and less than 20k we're produced. See below links:

https://www.mmnz.biz/whats-special-interest-vehicle-import-one-new-zealand
http://www.fomc.org.nz/special.html

They allow new Camaros and Mustangs in LHD so I don't see it being an issue. You will need some sort of magazine article or YouTube vid stating your car is a collector to provide proof. I also had a letter ready from a local dealer stating that value of the car is higher than MSRP (at least in NZ) which would make it a collector as far as a dealer would be concerned. You can find a ton of for sale ads to provide proof as well.

Good luck and keep me posted if you start your process before mine. I can't wait to get back to NZ!
Old 02-20-2020, 04:58 AM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for posting this info. I’m living short term in nzed and having serious thoughts of making it permanent. I really love it here.

Every day I drive through Kumeu to Muriwai and I really really wish I had my 997 here with me!
Old 02-20-2020, 05:13 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Unframed
Thanks for posting this info. I’m living short term in nzed and having serious thoughts of making it permanent. I really love it here.

Every day I drive through Kumeu to Muriwai and I really really wish I had my 997 here with me!
NZ is my favorite country. I've been to nearly 82 countries and NZ is at the top and maybe tied for Italy, but that's because I like cars and food like the Italians . Find a way to stay! I'll be permanent at the end of this year and excited about it.

Oh and Japan is pretty damn amazing too! I spend at least 4 months a year in JP.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:57 PM
niacin
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ask who you're using for an importer/entry verifier? There's a job in Auckland which has caught my interest, but I'd really like for my 09 C4S droptop to come with me from CA. VINS seemed to think that if the model was ever sold in RHD, it's not admissible as a special interest vehicle.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:35 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Haven’t done it myself, but my understanding is if is less than 20 years old it will need to have 3 of the following 4 attributes:
  1. the vehicle (or its make, model and submodel) is identified as being a collector's item in a commercially produced motoring publication.
  2. the vehicle's make, model and submodel has been (or was) manufactured in annual volumes of 20,000 units or less
  3. the vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a two-door coupe or a convertible
  4. the vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a high-performance vehicle.

Unsure how many C4S cabs were made per year but can’t be over 20k surely? And you could argue that it’s collectible - I’m sure you can find a magazine somewhere talking about how all 911’s are collectible!

The (painful I’m sure) alternative would be to sell it and buy another one here - the USD is strong against the NZD so you’d probably come out with some change in the process.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/im...drive-vehicle/
Old 04-29-2020, 01:03 AM
Quen
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also just moved to NZ before the lockdown, would be interested to know your outcome next year as car choices here aren't great. Meanwhile got myself a 991 gt3, but eventually I'd want something with a stick.

Btw, there is a pair of very nice 997 gt2 and 991 911R for sale currently by the same owner in north Auckland =p.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:03 PM
niacin
Track Day

Will do. At the moment, I can share that VINZ holds that since the 997 came in RHD overseas, it's impossible. That said, AA sent me a friendly, long email full of bureaucracy with the procedure to get an exception. So we'll see how that goes.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:56 AM
Fiatnz
3rd Gear

Hi all, reviving this thread as i'm importing an LHD 996.2 GT3 Comfort into NZ. My local AA Compliance Certifier has signed and stamped both my Special Interest Vehicle Permit, and LHD Permit application, and i've submitted them to NZTA. Like one of the previous replies mentioned though, the LHD Permit should only be issued if the car was NEVER built in RHD, and of course mine was. Has anyone else on this thread had any success? Is my other option to go for a Motor Sport Authority Card (i could just add braided brake hoses)?
The following users liked this post:
jmoss (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 03:57 AM
Fiatnz
3rd Gear

What was the procedure to gain an exemption?
Old 10-04-2022, 08:44 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I believe you can argue that a low volume production is enough to get a pass for a LHD model of a car that did come in RHD. Using the GT3 submodel should be enough.

Quick Reply: Importing LHD 997.2 RS to New Zealand