Notices

My first 911, in Dubai - What to look for , what to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Andy81
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My first 911, in Dubai - What to look for , what to avoid?

Dear Rennlisters,

Just signed up to this community as the time is coming where we will be getting our first Porsche, and I wanted to understand what to look for and what to avoid in the GCC/Dubai market.

My primary preference would be a 997.2 2S, 991 2S, a 997 4s or 991 4s, 997 or 991 GTS or even a 997 GT3..

Questions:

1. Is there one of these models to prefer over the others in terms of second/third hand value when I eventually sell it in the future?

2. Should I avoid manual gear box, or try to find one with MT? I do like manuals personally, but suspect that the local market favors PDKs..

3. Colours and models to look for or avoid? I can see there are a lot of white 997s and 991s on dubizzle..

4. Should I get one on (extended) warranty, or is this no big deal?

5. Are there particular faults to look out for on the models I have listed?

6. Can I confidently buy from one of the many independent car show rooms who are offering their warranties?

Other factors which I havent thought about?

I will go for GCC spec car, thats the only certainty right now.

Many thanks!

Andy
Old 02-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Andy81
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bump!

Surely there must be someone who can advise out there?
Old 04-30-2017, 03:34 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Is there one of these models to prefer over the others in terms of second/third hand value when I eventually sell it in the future?

There is a massive difference in price between a Carrera and a GT out here in Dubai: go for what you want, within your budget.
2. Should I avoid manual gear box, or try to find one with MT? I do like manuals personally, but suspect that the local market favors PDKs.
Good luck trying to find a manual. The 997.1 are tip, the 997.2 are PDK. I've never seen a manual Carrera. Only some of the GTs are manual.

3. Colours and models to look for or avoid? I can see there are a lot of white 997s and 991s on dubizzle.
There is a good reason that most cars are white. Black tends to look dirty and if you leave it in the sun, the car gets so hot, you can't actually get in...

Yes, warranties help on resale.

5. Are there particular faults to look out for on the models I have listed?
Nothing special to Dubai

6. Can I confidently buy from one of the many independent car show rooms who are offering their warranties?
I don't know. I'd get a full PPI from Al Nabooda or ARM in any event. If they don't let you get an independent inspection, then walk away. Engines can get seriously thrashed out here.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:50 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

A few months late but whatever you get I can't stress the importance of getting a PPI (pre purchase inspection) from a reputed garage than knows Porsche cars. If they have a piwis to hook it up and read codes, data stored in dme like engine hours,mileage etc that's a plus. I would also get them to inspect all the suspension bits, check for major accident repairs (ideally remove the bumpers and check), engine and transmission condition, compression test etc etc the works. It will cost money but atleast you will have peace of mind and cheaper than buying the car and later discovering problems.

Things like colour, transmission, model etc are personal choices. Just note if you are too picky your search will never end.
I picked a 997 that I found to be in the best condition mechanically, single owner, low miles considering the age and full dealer service record. Not the best colour imo but I can live with it.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Jür Gen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have some cars narrowed down to choose from and you want to have the properly checked out then get in touch with Autohaus Middle East in DIP, they saved me a couple of times as they know what to look for and what they do!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:02 AM
Dan.iel
AutoX

Originally Posted by Andy81

2. Should I avoid manual gear box, or try to find one with MT? I do like manuals personally, but suspect that the local market favors PDKs..

3. Colours and models to look for or avoid? I can see there are a lot of white 997s and 991s on dubizzle..

1. Well, it depends on how the previous owner was able to properly maintain the car condition

2. I would say that you'll be having a hard time looking for a manual. My suggestion is for you to pick an automatic

3. I think red is the best color among the rest. yellow and blue is also a great pick

4. I think it's a wise way when you get warranty in order to ensure your deal
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM
ASR1
6th Gear

I'm in Qatar - every used 911 I've seen has been in terrible, terrible condition without exception...

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2017, 07:00 AM
Dan.iel
AutoX

Originally Posted by Andy81

Well, if you're buying a used one, you should consider to ensure your deal. If you think the car that you're buying is properly maintained, then you can ignore it
Old 01-28-2018, 08:01 AM
t.i.m
2nd Gear

Well, it depends. If it was properly maintained, then you can go for it. I mean, you will be able to save a huge amount of money.

Quick Reply: My first 911, in Dubai - What to look for , what to avoid?