Notices

African's Unite

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 03:44 AM
Adrian WC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default African's Unite

Firstly, thanks to John D for creating this Africa Forum.

I hope people from this region especially will take the time to come and meet here and discuss issues specific to our region.

As a start, l was wondering if anyone knew of a Porsche Club for the Durban area. I know there are only a few Porsche's on the road down here but there must be owner / non-owner enthusiasts out there that would like to discuss and ruminate about this remarkable vehicle?
Old 10-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Wow, it sure looks like a loneley region this one Adrain. I visited South Africa a few years back and did not see a single Porsche. I remember the many bullet holes in the sign posts that people used as target practise when they stopped at the lights!!!!
Good luck with your Porsche, and I hope this region becomes popular with many enthusiasts from your area.
Cheers.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:21 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked in to see why Dave was in here!

Old 10-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Hey Boggy!

STOP STALKING ME! I HAVE COME TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD TO GET AWAY FROM YOU!
Old 10-31-2003, 11:15 AM
tonyc
Instructor

Adrian,

I'm a 964 South African owner, but am now living in Hong Kong so not sure whether that counts. Just back home in Durbs in September and took family back for the first time.

Miss SA big time, still a great place. Saw a few Boxsters on the streets but no 964's. Suggest you try the Porsche Club of SA, they seem quite active from their website.

SA is a country designed for sports cars, superb roads, great scenery and not too many 'cameras' from what I saw. I would love to drive up and down Towns Hill outside Martizburg, what a blast that would be.

Cheers
Tony
Old 11-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Adrian WC
Intermediate

HI Tony

At this stage any discussion on this forum is welcome.

964's are rather rare in Durban. I know of only 3. Jo'burg has a much larger collection of drivers. Problem is getting there !!

Will be joining the Porsche club as soon as my car gets out the shop. I have had a complete respray done and the interior re-freshed and the seats re-covered. ALso doing some minor repairs to the standard Design 90 wheels.

The longest trip I have done so far (car went onto the shop 2 days after I bought the car !!) was up to Ballito. Very impressive. With only 63K km's on the clock I am looking to add some mileage to get a better feel. Town hill sounds like a good idea. Must try it next time I am up there.

Thanks for the post.
Adrian
Old 11-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Adrian WC
Intermediate

Wikkid911,

We might be a small nation but Porsches are very popular out here. Very expensive to buy, own and maintain. Most people tend to have them as weekend cars (for insurance purposes as well which is also a killer) and only bring them out when the sun is shining. I belive the term "Garage Queen" is accpeted rennlist term for these sorts of cars!!

The other matters you refer to have certainly changed (not sure when you were here). Some might say for the worst, other for the better. Me personally, believe things have gotten worse. Which is a pity because South Africa is a really beautiful country. We will however make the best of a bad situation.

Cheers
Adrian
Old 11-18-2003, 05:59 PM
lekeside
1st Gear

Porsche lover in Lagos,Nigeria.Like to contribute, currently driving a 996.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Adrian WC
Intermediate

Welcome to the quiet neck of this wood!!

I see that you are new to the Rennlist. I to am still new but have found the site a vast pool knowledge and advice. Enjoy the stay and welcome.

Adrian
Old 11-23-2003, 02:48 PM
RyanPorsche
3rd Gear

Old 02-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Ced
Track Day

From Cote D'ivoire here!
Hello.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Daviboy
Advanced

Hi Adrian,
I am in Cape Town originally Scots but been down here 20 years. Cant beat South Africa thats my opinion. Just got my first Porsche 911sc about 4 months ago but not had much time to drive her yet, what with working overseas and being on a month break in Australia. If you ever get down to CT give me a shout.

Quick Reply: African's Unite