Average Speed Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:12 PM
tripyrenees
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average Speed Confusion

Hi
New to the forum and to Regularity Rallying. I have a little Renault 4CV Gordini (tiny car) but it seems to pull well in the mountains.

I have just completed a couple of TSD rallies in Spain and I am a little confused as to how the timing works.

I have a device called Rally Meter which I programme the average speeds and which distance to change to the next average speed. This is fine and it tells me RED, speed up, GREEN is good and BLUE is too fast.

I try and keep to the Green but as it is a smaller car I do find myself trying to catch up into the Green.

So on the stages they will have a timing control hidden anywhere within the average speed section, so maybe 6 of these CP along the stage.

Can anyone tell me, if I get to the 1st CP but still have not caught up on my average speed, do I reset my computer and start afresh i.e. does the timing rest itself from each CP. My errors seem to increase across the stage, plus I was catching cars in front of me.

Sorry for the long speal - It would be good to know that if I miss the 1st CP due to 10% grade where my car can't make 50 kph but when it flattens on the 2nd CP I can do the next speed, I should just reset the trip and start afresh....phew, I don't think I even understood what I just wrote.

Any good sites to read up on all this (these rallies put a transponder in the car, so all the controls are secret and automatic)

Cheers

Ian (living in France)

Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I can't say for sure - how the rules are written for your type of rally sport. Maybe a review on your part would be in order.

I can tell you how I believe it is done, and it is similar to what we do here in the States.

Here's the best tip - be on time all the time. If you are late for a hidden check point you do not start fresh for the next one. You are still late. You need to get back on time and then remain on time.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:04 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the checkpoints are "hidden" and you are not required to stop and collect your timing, you should "freeze" the display and record the error as you pass the checkpoint....then unfreeze the display and get back onto the proper time. I would drive so the light flickering between green and red.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Is that you Karl?

Quick Reply: Average Speed Confusion