performance friction 08 or Pagid RS29 brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sparksy
Hi

Thanks for all the info and advice on this subject, My car is not a Porsche, its a BMW M3 but I was finding very little about what people recommend on M3 forums other than everyone uses RS29's so done a search and this forum came up and the knowledge on this Forum seems a lot better regarding track use.
Im running Ferodo 2500's now but now really happy with them as the bite isn't great if I'm honest and the pad doesn't give confidence. I'm very limited with what Pad I can use for my Brembo Calipers, my options only seem to be PFC08, RS29's or Carbotech XP8/XP10's
I need to check to see if I can get the DS1.11 for my caliper

Thanks once again for eveyones help
its not about the make, actually. M3s treat the brakes just the same and use some of the near same hardware. (stock) and modified , many all use brembo calipers or brembo like calipers. dont get so caught up with the endurance pads... they are harder to bed.. i can do it, but its not as easy as the softer pads) think pagid black RS14, or even orange. RS 4-4. many of the bmw guys like the HT10s, but the PFC08s are very common and you should have good luck.. send me a note and lll get you thought the bedding process without issues.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's an F80 M3, Pagid makes the pad in both RS29 and RSL1. Most folks opt for RS29 and those pad shapes ( 4931 and 4933 ) have been very popular.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 07-19-2017, 12:34 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

So what's the consensus on how to bed in RS29's on track? I have a brand new set of front pads and what I've heard is that the first session out basically accomplishes whatever bedding needs to take place. Not sure how else it would be done, actually...but this is the first set of new pads I've had that I won't be able to bed them in on the street.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
So what's the consensus on how to bed in RS29's on track? I have a brand new set of front pads and what I've heard is that the first session out basically accomplishes whatever bedding needs to take place. Not sure how else it would be done, actually...but this is the first set of new pads I've had that I won't be able to bed them in on the street.
send me a PM and ill provide you the bedding process. what you mention is the conventional bedding process which is "good enough " for the track , and will not solve noise issues (and not fully live up to their wear and stopping potential) .
Bedding is critically important for desired wear patterns and noise.
when you do it correctly, you will be happy with the results. you can do it on the track, VERY easily too.

Mark
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 PM
sparksy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
If it's an F80 M3, Pagid makes the pad in both RS29 and RSL1. Most folks opt for RS29 and those pad shapes ( 4931 and 4933 ) have been very popular.
Hi Jason

I have a E46 M3 but I'm using a Brembo Caliper from a 1 series coupe 135i so I'm limited to only a few brake pads
Old 03-16-2019, 05:45 AM
love4cars
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bedding in

Hi Mark

Would you be kind to PM me your bedding in procedure? I can’t yet send PMs...

Thank you
Alex (UK)

Originally Posted by mark kibort
send me a PM and ill provide you the bedding process. what you mention is the conventional bedding process which is "good enough " for the track , and will not solve noise issues (and not fully live up to their wear and stopping potential) .
Bedding is critically important for desired wear patterns and noise.
when you do it correctly, you will be happy with the results. you can do it on the track, VERY easily too.

Mark
Old 03-17-2019, 12:57 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
RS29 must be bedded in as specified by Pagid. PFC 08 requires no special bedding. Both will make road noise ...like a shreak when you apply brakes.
PFC 08 will definitely outlast Pagid and has more initial bite. Some of the faster cars GT4s and GT3s have told me that Pagid will no longer stop the car when you get down to less than 1/2 the pad.
PFC is pretty much good to the backing plate.
PFC runs hot on the rotors where RS29 runs cooler and is friendlier to the rotors.
IF you are doing mostly track stuff you should consider Ferodo DS1.11.....very friendly to the rotors,
must be bedded in and will schreech but the modulation and release is to die for. Of all that have gone from PFC or Pagid to Ferodo I have only had 2 guys go back......all the rest rave about the performance.
first I have heard this!

how come you have been leaving me in the cold.....
Old 03-17-2019, 12:59 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Paged RSL1’s are a nice step up from the RS29s. I was going to try the 08s or the Ferodos butIve been pretty happy with the new Pagid compound.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:59 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I think the 08s are a better choice as well. However, I have developed a very bullet proof bedding process that takes full understanding of why rotors and pads make noise ("screeching sound", even after the tradittional bedding and a track day or even race)

Ive been running (racing) the PFC11s for a few years now... 4-5 sets and have absolutely NO noise what so ever, and thats on a stock rotor and a 3 piece rotor. its all in the bedding process. Let me know if you want to know the process... if you havent had a track day on them yet, i can help.. after , its a little harder to bed properly to remove noise as the wear pattern is established.
the result is no noise, on or off the street or track.
mark I run the PFC on my clubsport and will run them on my new cup

Can you please PM your recommended bedding in procedure.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:20 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

For a dual purpose car the Ferodo DS1.11 is an excellent choice. Clark talked me into switching to them a few years ago on my GT3 and I am still using them on the RS. Excellent initial bite and modulation. My car is 80/20 track/street and if you research the mu versus temp curves for them you’ll see a very flat, broad response curve making them great for street and track. They wear about 1 mm/day of front pad at Sebring which is acceptable. The front rotors are still looking good after 28 track days, so not hard on rotors as well. Yes there is short squeak on the street during the final few feet of stopping but I was never bothered by that.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:39 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
mark I run the PFC on my clubsport and will run them on my new cup

Can you please PM your recommended bedding in procedure.
I run PFC pads and rotors on my CS and never bedded my pads. Kind of difficult on a dedicated track car and quite honestly, I don't see a need to with the PFC system. The rotors and pads wear a long time. I think I have over 20+ days on my rear rotors and barely any cracks have developed and the fronts have very minimal cracking so far. Pads will last long too.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
RS29 must be bedded in as specified by Pagid. PFC 08 requires no special bedding. Both will make road noise ...like a shreak when you apply brakes.
PFC 08 will definitely outlast Pagid and has more initial bite. Some of the faster cars GT4s and GT3s have told me that Pagid will no longer stop the car when you get down to less than 1/2 the pad.
PFC is pretty much good to the backing plate.

PFC runs hot on the rotors where RS29 runs cooler and is friendlier to the rotors.
according to pagid the bed in procedure is only for new rotors or when switching compunds.

key point here is PFC runs HOTTER.....a good 2 to 300 degree hotter.

pagid say the last backing plate thickness is the glue so need to be changed prior.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ran PFC08 on one car - they were loud no matter what I did. I had to change them if I ever wanted to drive on the street. It was that bad. Then moved to PFC06 which were quiet but didn't have nearly the bite that the 08's did - though the modulation was better. Finally, I'm running PFC11's now. I really like them after about 9 days on track. Great bite, decent modulation, but man... they are hard on the rotors. I had (what I thought was) a set of fronts with 1/2 life left... not so much. Cracked the rotor on my last session clean through.

I've simply had too much luck with PFC's to make a real consideration to switch brands. Really, the one to talk to on this is Clark at Apex... he knows about everything there is to know on this subject.... he's steered me in the right direction several times now.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What rotors did you crack?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:41 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
What rotors did you crack?
Sebro.