Superlite Aero

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superlite Aero

Hi Guys,

Looking for feedback here. Has anyone driven one? I'm thinking about buying one and would love to hear a first hand experience.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Hi Guys,

Looking for feedback here. Has anyone driven one? I'm thinking about buying one and would love to hear a first hand experience.
I don't think anyone has driven them. Last I heard, they have not really tested or turned a wheel on the track.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:39 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Plavan
I don't think anyone has driven them. Last I heard, they have not really tested or turned a wheel on the track.
Thanks - I talked to Fran and he mentioned he had sold quite a few - I didn't ask if any had been delivered.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:07 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks interesting and has potential to be very fast, fun, reliable, and cheap for the level of performance. I haven't seen much just yet in terms of owners running them successfully but it is quite new.

It was designed to dominate in NASA ST1 before the -2.2 prototype penalty came out so it will be hard to get it down from SU into ST1 with the current rules/points. Maybe it works fine if you just run it heavy and just detune the thing like mad. And I'm not sure if the rule change had anything to do with this car - it might have been just to stop SCCA P1/2 and ex-CN race cars from coming over and cleaning house in the P/W class dominated by converted street cars. Anyway NASA seems to want the big monsters in the unlimited class so if the car is great you'd still have to keep in mind there's no guarantee the NASA rules won't make it even harder to stay in ST in another year or three.

If you haven't found it already Fran posts on the gt40s board now and then and there is a thread about the Aero there. Not a lot of data or feedback yet.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-917-superlite-aero/46002-superlite-aero.html

I'd take a hard look at the NASA prototype and the many SCCA options before pulling the trigger on any of them. But it looks like it has the potential to be a great option - here's hoping the early adopters will offer their take soon and support or deny that. And for some like me, the SCCA doesn't host any races locally and PCA only comes once a year so NASA makes a lot of sense.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
I'd take a hard look at the NASA prototype and the many SCCA options before pulling the trigger on any of them. But it looks like it has the potential to be a great option - here's hoping the early adopters will offer their take soon and support or deny that. And for some like me, the SCCA doesn't host any races locally and PCA only comes once a year so NASA makes a lot of sense.
Great advice. I have an NP01 and love it. Great car, cheap consumables, Real Sequential, and now you can get them with ST1 level motors if you don't want to run NP01 spec. Elan says that a 2.3L Ecoboost crate motor would fit.... There are 8 drivers testing the ST1 version at Sebring this weekend. Over 30 cars sold in less than 2 years.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2017, 10:47 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

The NP01 is neat but it seems like the Aero has a huge component advantage. The drive train on the Aero is 25k alone, plus Penske shocks, ambidextrous suspension components, seemingly easier setup.

The NP01 is also ~20k more in turn-key form.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

The NP01 is neat but it seems like the Aero has a huge component advantage. The drive train on the Aero is 25k alone, plus Penske shocks, ambidextrous suspension components, seemingly easier setup.

The NP01 is also ~20k more in turn-key form.
It is more money. Keep in mind it is made by a real race car manufacturer (Elan/Panoz/Deltawing). Its finish is way better than any Kit car out there.

Personally, I'm not keen on the Aero's looks. Elan checked the car out at PRI. However I would love a V8- But after driving the NP01, I'm glad it has lower HP. You have to learn the Aero of a car like this. It's an eye opener.

I can plug in a faster motor later. 185HP does not sound like much, but I'll just leave this video here of a race GTR chasing me. It's not all about speed, it's about handling also. Keep in mind we are on crappy Toyo DOT tires (Spec tire). Throw on Hoosiers and it's 4 to 5 seconds faster without any setup changes.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

From my incar- Sequential fun. Qualifying. 2:27...Not bad for the Toyo DOT R tires. Qualified 3rd out of 12.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

They do look cool - and not that it's all about getting lower lap times, but I'm 5 seconds faster in my C7 Z06 at Mid-Ohio than the NP01 record. I was on faster tires but still a bit faster overall. It feels a bit weird going higher in lap times. Obviously consumables would be WAY cheaper.

I'm also a bit uncertain about bolting the rear suspension to the transmission. Seems like that would put a lot of stress on thr drive train - especially in a crash.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

They do look cool - and not that it's all about getting lower lap times, but I'm 5 seconds faster in my C7 Z06 at Mid-Ohio than the NP01 record. I was on faster tires but still a bit faster overall. It feels a bit weird going higher in lap times. Obviously consumables would be WAY cheaper.

I'm also a bit uncertain about bolting the rear suspension to the transmission. Seems like that would put a lot of stress on thr drive train - especially in a crash.
I'm not sure if those lap records are current on the web- 1:35 Mid Ohio "Club Course" and 1:35 Mid Ohio "Pro Course" is what I could find. But yeah, throw on Hoosiers and times drop big time. The NP01 is a "momentum car". Best way to become an even better driver, no matter what you drive.

The rear suspension is how all real Prototype race cars are made. Look at the Porsche LMP cars, Ligier cars, LMP3 cars etc. They are the same. It's like a Formula one car with a body. The parts are designed to shed from the car in a wreck. One NP01 crashed at Mid Ohio- Ripped the suspension off the car- Transmission and all the pick up points were not damaged. Only one ear tab on the RT front had to be welded on. He bolted everything back on. It was a really BAD crash also. I'll look for the video. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...2IJrnupTdwIujw

Crash an AERO like that and the whole chassis is F$$%ed.

He walked away- was not even hurt. He just finished bolting everything back on and the car is fixed.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:34 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

I'm not sure if those lap records are current on the web- 1:35 Mid Ohio "Club Course" and 1:35 Mid Ohio "Pro Course" is what I could find. But yeah, throw on Hoosiers and times drop big time. The NP01 is a "momentum car". Best way to become an even better driver, no matter what you drive.

The rear suspension is how all real Prototype race cars are made. Look at the Porsche LMP cars, Ligier cars, LMP3 cars etc. They are the same. It's like a Formula one car with a body. The parts are designed to shed from the car in a wreck. One NP01 crashed at Mid Ohio- Ripped the suspension off the car- Transmission and all the pick up points were not damaged. Only one ear tab on the RT front had to be welded on. He bolted everything back on. It was a really BAD crash also. I'll look for the video. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...2IJrnupTdwIujw

Crash an AERO like that and the whole chassis is F$$%ed.

He walked away- was not even hurt. He just finished bolting everything back on and the car is fixed.

Thanks for hanging in here with me. The NP01 does look nicer from a fit and finish perspective and sequential is pretty cool!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for hanging in here with me. The NP01 does look nicer from a fit and finish perspective and sequential is pretty cool!
No Problem- If you have any other questions just shoot me a PM. NASA lets you do tests in the NP01 so you can drive it to check it out. It is $500 and you need a race license. if you buy a car, they credit the $500 to the purchase.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

The sequential is a Sadev SL-75 transaxle and is shared by F4. The case is designed to be stressed by having suspension tied to it. Because it was designed that way, it's not a big deal. If you tied the suspension to a street car transmission/transaxle I'd be very worried.

Also the NP-01 isn't super heavy at 1450 lbs, and that helps. The sequential would feel tremendously more engaging than a traditional manual, and going up to a weight of 1800-2000 lbs is a big difference. But so is gobs more power and torque from a Katech V8 and a somewhat lower price.

The other big question is who are you going to race or run the car with?

If you want to just get a huge speed rush in a prototype, look at the monster of the SCCA, a modern Stohr DSR in P1 config. 800 lbs, 200+ hp, penskes, and just huge downforce from a full ground effect underbody. It will leave anything you typically see at a regional club race for dead. Formula A is the other class that offers similar speed. I'd expect either of those to beat up on the Aero pretty soundly, and the NP-01 wouldn't even begin to compete.

Just to get a rough idea I googled a few lap times at Laguna Seca and found 1:22 was the best lap for both classes in the 2014 SCCA runoffs. I could be wrong, but I don't think the SCCA has pro drivers there. The Audi R10 TDI LMP1 did it in 1:11, and Randy Pobst did 1:28 in the Viper ACR and 1:30 in the 918 and P1. The fastest SCCA Spec Miata was at 1:45.
http://autoweek.com/article/sports-c...ay-laguna-seca
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

But if there's nobody to play with, going really really fast would be just awesome for a while and then I'd expect to start to feel a bit of adrenaline-filled boredom once the speed became normal. Maybe it would super frustrating as every lap you'd pass a dozen cars who never see you coming. Sadly there is such a thing as too fast.

Great advice. I have an NP01 and love it. Great car, cheap consumables, Real Sequential, and now you can get them with ST1 level motors if you don't want to run NP01 spec. Elan says that a 2.3L Ecoboost crate motor would fit.... There are 8 drivers testing the ST1 version at Sebring this weekend. Over 30 cars sold in less than 2 years.
Interesting.... Are they talking about beefing up the transaxle guts to handle it?

I googled and found the standard SL-75 is only rated for 179 ft-lbf, and the ecoboost motors typically produce a great deal more than that. They don't rev to the moon either so a detune at low RPMs wouldn't be a slam dunk.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
The sequential is a Sadev SL-75 transaxle and is shared by F4. The case is designed to be stressed by having suspension tied to it. Because it was designed that way, it's not a big deal. If you tied the suspension to a street car transmission/transaxle I'd be very worried.

Also the NP-01 isn't super heavy at 1450 lbs, and that helps. The sequential would feel tremendously more engaging than a traditional manual, and going up to a weight of 1800-2000 lbs is a big difference. But so is gobs more power and torque from a Katech V8 and a somewhat lower price.

The other big question is who are you going to race or run the car with?

If you want to just get a huge speed rush in a prototype, look at the monster of the SCCA, a modern Stohr DSR in P1 config. 800 lbs, 200+ hp, penskes, and just huge downforce from a full ground effect underbody. It will leave anything you typically see at a regional club race for dead. Formula A is the other class that offers similar speed. I'd expect either of those to beat up on the Aero pretty soundly, and the NP-01 wouldn't even begin to compete.

Just to get a rough idea I googled a few lap times at Laguna Seca and found 1:22 was the best lap for both classes in the 2014 SCCA runoffs. I could be wrong, but I don't think the SCCA has pro drivers there. The Audi R10 TDI LMP1 did it in 1:11, and Randy Pobst did 1:28 in the Viper ACR and 1:30 in the 918 and P1. The fastest SCCA Spec Miata was at 1:45.
http://autoweek.com/article/sports-c...ay-laguna-seca
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

But if there's nobody to play with, going really really fast would be just awesome for a while and then I'd expect to start to feel a bit of adrenaline-filled boredom once the speed became normal. Maybe it would super frustrating as every lap you'd pass a dozen cars who never see you coming. Sadly there is such a thing as too fast.

Interesting.... Are they talking about beefing up the transaxle guts to handle it?

I googled and found the standard SL-75 is only rated for 179 ft-lbf, and the ecoboost motors typically produce a great deal more than that. They don't rev to the moon either so a detune at low RPMs wouldn't be a slam dunk.
With the Souped up MZR motor (DP02 motor) no issues with the current SL-75 since it is under the TQ threshold. This is how the Elan Demo car is now fitted.

Sadev just released a new drop in Trans that is identical to the SL75 that can handle over 310 FT/Lbs of torque. Plugs right into the NP01, and has a trans cooler pump and LSD included. The NP01 Bellhousing mounts right up to the ecoboost. Just need to figure out intercooler ducting and new air intake mods. Plus you would need to add an E throttle pedal. Doable, but you know if you are the first one, it takes awhile.

Laguna Seca record for the NP01 during a race was 1:34.395 on the Crap Toyo's. Faster than all the Pirelli GT4's and non 991 Cup cars out there with us that weekend. The Porsches were on slicks....
Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

With the Souped up MZR motor (DP02 motor) no issues with the current SL-75 since it is under the TQ threshold. This is how the Elan Demo car is now fitted.

Sadev just released a new drop in Trans that is identical to the SL75 that can handle over 310 FT/Lbs of torque. Plugs right into the NP01, and has a trans cooler pump and LSD included. The NP01 Bellhousing mounts right up to the ecoboost. Just need to figure out intercooler ducting and new air intake mods. Plus you would need to add an E throttle pedal. Doable, but you know if you are the first one, it takes awhile.

Laguna Seca record for the NP01 during a race was 1:34.395 on the Crap Toyo's. Faster than all the Pirelli GT4's and non 991 Cup cars out there with us that weekend. The Porsches were on slicks....
That's a good pace - fast and a fun zone for competitive club racing - you'd find a decent number of good drivers to run with and fight for each pass. And on mediocre tires.

That's really good to hear on the new transaxle - gives the car a lot of options and potential in the long term.

I'd think the NP-01 with the ecoboost motor or the Aero as it comes might be so fast in today's environment that you'd be running alone in front most of the time. No?

Quick Reply: Superlite Aero