Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears Point Race July 2017 Video incar cam- Group 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Ive seen a few of your videos and I'm always curious about the overloaded key chain. Why so much stuff on there in a race car?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Ive seen a few of your videos and I'm always curious about the overloaded key chain. Why so much stuff on there in a race car?
the 928 guys gave me a key chain at an event..... so, sentimental value, but most importantly, the car was both street and race.... and, the biggest reason, is i have two keys for ignition and for the rear hatch. how else should i keep 2 keys in close proximity??
i just watched the video, but focused on the key chain........man that thing is moving all over the place! ive never really noticed it, especially in the car. now , you might have jinxed me.. ill start noticing it now ....
Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

When I see it get caught between your leg and the dash- I see the possibility of it pulling the ignition key down- and possibly killing the engine or worse- locking the column.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I see it get caught between your leg and the dash- I see the possibility of it pulling the ignition key down- and possibly killing the engine or worse- locking the column.
He'll just downshift and power out of it.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Not only that. As people here have been telling him for years (since he has had this massive key ball and chain for a while), the more weight that pulls down on the ignition lock, the weaker that lock gets.

This thread is chock full of entertainment value
Old 07-10-2017, 03:09 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Not only that. As people here have been telling him for years (since he has had this massive key ball and chain for a while), the more weight that pulls down on the ignition lock, the weaker that lock gets.

This thread is chock full of entertainment value
more than that, this thread has recently offered some new , very interesting advice. I want to see Dave calculate the forces on the key lock by my aluminum 928 key chain , 10 grams, rear hatch key, 20grams, , and the nylon ribbon., 2 grams. (32grams) .
Hint.. turns are usualy about 1.5 g .
what should of failure should i look to seeing in the next 1000 years of driving he car?
Old 07-10-2017, 03:10 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Watching it, i start thinking that as well, but i dont think its probable.. the later, is impossible, as it is a RACE car, and we cant have steering locks. it's been removed.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

I don’t what you think you are doing but it doesn’t look like you are racing!!! This looks more drive through the country side. Need a coach badly. Also need to get rid of that U/S in the car!!!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
I don’t what you think you are doing but it doesn’t look like you are racing!!! This looks more drive through the country side. Need a coach badly. Also need to get rid of that U/S in the car!!!
Yep.

Also: https://www.google.com/amp/wane.com/...-problems/amp/
Old 07-10-2017, 01:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Anton, Funny, for a guy that runs spec mustang times in a cup car?
I'm always open to any opinions, but when you insult me, you insult all the guys that finish behind me in MUCH better cars! BTW.

Tell you what. ill provide/rent a pro prepared 20 year old newer car with 330hp and new tires and you try and match my time at laguna 1:36.1--- you do it, ill pay for the car and your flight out here. Ill even pay if you are within 2 seconds of my time!

Or, how about i come out to your track, you race your car, ill race mine and you pay for my car transportation if you lose.

otherwise you are as relevant here as a noisy baby.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dave, thats pretty interesting, but it doesnt apply to the forces expected on a porsche ignition system. again, we are talking about about 2 oz, here, with a max force of near double that under cornering and braking.
Ill put this back on you.......have you ever disassembled a porsche ignition lock , particularly a 928 ignition lock.......???? their diamond cut, 4 sided key fits into a locking mechanism that is NOTHING like a GM car the article talks about. But , you make your point..... for having this key chain for 10 years now, and prior cars for the past 30 years with no issues plus never ever hearing of a failure in a porsche 928.........i can probably safely say, there is little or no concern. I could put a 5lb weight on the keychain and that tumbler would survive for many years!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:08 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

sorry didn't mean to be insulting. Just trying offer some helpful advice!!! Anyway, I rest my case.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

sorry didn't mean to be insulting. Just trying offer some helpful advice!!! Anyway, I rest my case.
Sorry Anton, if i mistook your advice as an insult. When you start running average GTC3 times, lets talk again! right now, you are a little off the mark. so, when you get a little more experience, then ill take your advice as helpful.

on a serous note... yes, the U/S is a bit painful. but its a lot of the car's design.. remember, its 30 years old and not much has been changed out or modified. But, finding some major issues with the blown out steering rack bushings, (probably 20 years old) was a good indication that replacing them might tighten things up... lets see how it works after replacement at laguna in a few weeks.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:43 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

You are a good sport!! keep the posts short though!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:45 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Dave, thats pretty interesting, but it doesnt apply to the forces expected on a porsche ignition system. again, we are talking about about 2 oz, here, with a max force of near double that under cornering and braking.
Ill put this back on you.......have you ever disassembled a porsche ignition lock , particularly a 928 ignition lock.......???? their diamond cut, 4 sided key fits into a locking mechanism that is NOTHING like a GM car the article talks about. But , you make your point..... for having this key chain for 10 years now, and prior cars for the past 30 years with no issues plus never ever hearing of a failure in a porsche 928.........i can probably safely say, there is little or no concern. I could put a 5lb weight on the keychain and that tumbler would survive for many years!

I have replaced many 928 ignition locks because idiot owners keep a ton of crap on the key chain. Once again, just because it works for you......

Quick Reply: Sears Point Race July 2017 Video incar cam- Group 3