Sponsored by:

a couple of PCA club racing rules clarifications if you dont mind

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default a couple of PCA club racing rules clarifications if you dont mind

I did read the rules, but frankly its a lot of legal mumbo jumbo that isn't exactly all that 100% clear. so figured id ask the gurus up here.

bringing a stock class (G) 2005 boxster out of retirement, want to ensure I'm compliant.
1. seat in it is from 2010. going to replace it for safety mainly though I guess you can make it work with braces, etc. but id rather have a new seat for safety. the rules these days say basically cars require a seat brace, EXCePT if its a seat within 5 years of right spec (which it is, its an OMP racing seat, new etc.). some specifics on hardware size which it probably already has. and sliders. I remember a few years ago there was a slider issue. I think this car has the recaro racing sliders. and it was last raced by my friend throughout 2015. you think that still works, or do I have to get a "Cup car" slider? that appendix I is a bit complicated and id rather not goof it up. was thinking of putting high density foam behind it and the rear firewall just in case

2. passenger seat - thought I read up here you could, and it seem sto say passenger seat can be removed, which I hope to heaven is the case, because that was the biggest safesty issue I ever had with class cars. egress would be far more quick out the passenger window without it. can the passenger seat be removed?

3. lastly, any other nifty change or things I should pay attention to since last racing a stock class cars since like I think 2014-ish?

I'm sure there are a lot, but the car was raced in pca through late 2015 so I'm guessing its compliant. but wondering if there were some new changes I should consider implementing.

4. lastly, and this isn't a compliance thing. car has the AIM Pista mXL and smartycam in it from that 2013,2014 window of time. works fine. a) is there a resale market fo rthat stuff b) was thinking of upgrading to the new stuff, worth it, bug free? I always liked that simple AIM stuff since I didn't stare at it at all other than when a red light told me to head to the pits for some reason, or, for predicted lap. thoughts on upgrading?

thanks for the help .
Old 06-24-2017, 09:03 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I take a shot, but YMMV.

The "cup slider" as the primary option was discussed/proposed a few years back. Ultimately, the rule did not require it. However, I think the rule has some stipulation about the slider which I interpret as "buy quality".

Unless you have a back brace, the seat has to be replaced when out of date. I have a halo seat and I cannot get out of the car unless it slides back It expires in 2017, so I will replace the seat, mount, and slider, likely all Recaro again.

Passenger seat can now be removed in stock classes.

The current rule requires a "port" for plugging in the PCA data box. I do not remember if it is specific to OBDI (I have a 95 911) or all cars. Read the rule about that to see if applies to 200 Boxter (OBDII cars).

I have an old AIM/smarty combination and they work fine and give me all the data I need. I may upgrade to a smarty HD at some point, but I do not consider it a priority. I plan to use the AIM as long as it lasts.

Good luck
Old 06-24-2017, 01:09 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Nader has it right I think. No need for a passenger chair. Look forward to meeting you...you'll know most of the G guys after a few races.

Quick Reply: a couple of PCA club racing rules clarifications if you dont mind