Sponsored by:

Camaro ZL1-1LE Nordschleife Lap: 7:16.04

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:46 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I guess we'll see if that's actually true. The recent Camaro Z/28 (NA) would also consistently overheat on the track - multiple sources of this. Except in Z/28's case no limp mode due to MT.
I'm guessing they paid attention to the Z/28 issues and fixed them on the new generation car. Eric (provoste) is a VERY fast driver. I stopped up to Mid Ohio last weekend on a really humid 90 degree day and watched his 1LE run circles around everyone without any heat issues at all. If the standard 1LE car is that impressive I can't wait to see one of the ZL1 cars in action.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Saw this earlier in the week and was very impressed. I can't wrap my head around why these high-level Camaros are so good, especially compared to their Corvette siblings. It's the same Z06 drivetrain, but in a significantly heavier car, with a higher center of gravity, a less track-focused basic platform/design, and a much less slippery body shape. How do they get the Camaro to be so competitive given these seeming liabilities?
Massive tires
Old 06-23-2017, 08:31 AM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Massive tires
Yeah those help- but they aren't it all. I'm actually running smaller track tires than OE on my SS 1LE (285 square) and it's just insanely good. The alpha platform that underpins the 6th gen Camaro is the main reason. My brother is a ride and handling engineering manager at a major OEM- and he told me 3 years ago when they announced the 6th gen Camaro would use the Cadillac ATS chassis- that I needed to get a 1LE when it comes out. He said the alpha platform is one of the best F/R chassis in the world. Very happy I heeded his advice. 1st GM product I've ever owned, sold a 986 S to buy it.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
DAMN, that guy was on point. Judging from the squealing I'm guessing they were on street legal tires.
Well, he is a rennlister, you know...
Old 06-23-2017, 03:50 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by provoste
Yeah those help- but they aren't it all. I'm actually running smaller track tires than OE on my SS 1LE (285 square) and it's just insanely good. The alpha platform that underpins the 6th gen Camaro is the main reason. My brother is a ride and handling engineering manager at a major OEM- and he told me 3 years ago when they announced the 6th gen Camaro would use the Cadillac ATS chassis- that I needed to get a 1LE when it comes out. He said the alpha platform is one of the best F/R chassis in the world. Very happy I heeded his advice. 1st GM product I've ever owned, sold a 986 S to buy it.
Very interesting... I've had two Z28s (before Porsches) in my younger days and based on your info it's amazing (!) how far they've come. I admit that Camaros still have a soft spot in my heart.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:47 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 262 Posts

As capable as the car is, and though it may be the bang-for-buck performance champ, I STILL can't get my head around the thought of a $70k Camaro.....gotta get those 70s-80s memories out of my head

Gary
Old 06-23-2017, 06:16 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Big thread in the GT3 forum about this. The driver joined the discussion too. Very interesting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-the-ring.html
Old 06-23-2017, 11:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,773 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Saw this earlier in the week and was very impressed. I can't wrap my head around why these high-level Camaros are so good, especially compared to their Corvette siblings. It's the same Z06 drivetrain, but in a significantly heavier car, with a higher center of gravity, a less track-focused basic platform/design, and a much less slippery body shape. How do they get the Camaro to be so competitive given these seeming liabilities?
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Massive *****
FIFY
Old 06-24-2017, 07:13 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm going to try to not sound like Debbie Downer here. We as car enthusiasts are so lucky to have such amazing performance available to us these days, at arguably reasonable cost. GT3s, high-end Corvettes, and this Camaro are faster than real, dedicated race cars were 15-20 years ago. My concern is safety. My 2011 E90 M3 was significantly slower than any of the cars above, but was fast enough that more than one knowledgable instructor recommended that I do more for safety. A Schroth QuickFit 4-pt harness and stock seats weren't enough.

So when I moved on to a 991 Carrera S, and now the GT4, I've made it a point to focus on safety upgrades. Rollbar, fixed bucket seats, real 6-point harnesses, HANS device.

It amazes me that these new cars that are faster than my GT4 don't come with such track safety features at least as a factory option. Most Corvettes I've seen at the track use only a harness bar if they mount 5 or 6-point harnesses. No rollover protection. Saw a C6 Z06 at the Glen three or four years ago that completely pancaked its A pillars in a rollover. Luckily the driver was okay. Who knows what the aftermarket is like for rollbars for these GM cars--I don't know if it's as extensive as it is for Porsches. I talked to another C6 Z06 owner at the Glen a couple of years ago who proudly showed me his custom-fabricated rollbar that apparently cost 5 figures because of the special techniques required to mount it to the body of the car.

The GT3 at least has a rollbar as a factory option, but of course it's not available in the U.S. market.

I'm certainly not Ralph Nader, but I do think the manufacturers do us a disservice when they actively market these cars as trackday weapons, but then fail to provide basic safety in the form of seats/harnesses and rollover protection.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new Camaro has received universal praise for being not just crazy fast (1:26 at Willow in the regular non-1LE version of the ZL1 !!!) but also being a wonderful driver's car.

I have an '03 ZO6 and absolutely love it. Not just a great performance value, but an absolute top notch driver's car.

Wait until the new ZR1 is introduced. Can't wait for a comparison track test between it and the new GT2!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:25 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to try to not sound like Debbie Downer here. We as car enthusiasts are so lucky to have such amazing performance available to us these days, at arguably reasonable cost. GT3s, high-end Corvettes, and this Camaro are faster than real, dedicated race cars were 15-20 years ago. My concern is safety. My 2011 E90 M3 was significantly slower than any of the cars above, but was fast enough that more than one knowledgable instructor recommended that I do more for safety. A Schroth QuickFit 4-pt harness and stock seats weren't enough.

So when I moved on to a 991 Carrera S, and now the GT4, I've made it a point to focus on safety upgrades. Rollbar, fixed bucket seats, real 6-point harnesses, HANS device.

It amazes me that these new cars that are faster than my GT4 don't come with such track safety features at least as a factory option. Most Corvettes I've seen at the track use only a harness bar if they mount 5 or 6-point harnesses. No rollover protection. Saw a C6 Z06 at the Glen three or four years ago that completely pancaked its A pillars in a rollover. Luckily the driver was okay. Who knows what the aftermarket is like for rollbars for these GM cars--I don't know if it's as extensive as it is for Porsches. I talked to another C6 Z06 owner at the Glen a couple of years ago who proudly showed me his custom-fabricated rollbar that apparently cost 5 figures because of the special techniques required to mount it to the body of the car.

The GT3 at least has a rollbar as a factory option, but of course it's not available in the U.S. market.

I'm certainly not Ralph Nader, but I do think the manufacturers do us a disservice when they actively market these cars as trackday weapons, but then fail to provide basic safety in the form of seats/harnesses and rollover protection.
Since the C5 the corvette has a roll built in to the frame, here is a pic of the c7 frame.Name:  photo824.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  295.3 KB
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Now THAT'S exactly what I'm talking about. Forum member supercup has an allocation for one of these. Brilliant, Ford: https://performanceparts.ford.com/FP350S/
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Now THAT'S exactly what I'm talking about. Forum member supercup has an allocation for one of these. Brilliant, Ford: https://performanceparts.ford.com/FP350S/
Great factory race car with limited (50) production. Great price too.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

>> The GT3 at least has a rollbar as a factory option, but of course it's not available in the U.S. market.

The bolt-in harness bar?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"For a little more the Viper ACR E is about to break the all time production car record .........you will read about it in a couple of weeks"

Please explain. Didn't they already test at the Ring last year? the Viper is not in production anymore.

Quick Reply: Camaro ZL1-1LE Nordschleife Lap: 7:16.04