eBay Trailer Scam

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 03:05 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay Trailer Scam

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Unless this guy in the UK is a size 16 cross dresser and never bought a car part through eBay, it is a scam....

2003 24' Haulmark and free shipping with a $4000 Buy it Now... Yeahhhhh.

Last edited by viperbob; 11-19-2003 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:23 PM
James Achard
Pro

Hmmmm.. The trailer has Arizona plates on it.

JA
Old 11-19-2003, 03:54 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

What am I missing here? I see nothing wrong with the trailer? The user being registered in the UK seems funny, but other than that it looks like a great deal.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:11 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Price seems too good to be true.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:30 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

OK, let's look at this, without even looking at the price. 1 day listing? Strange. Preapproved buyers only. Sort of odd. Registered Seller is in the UK. Unusual. The registered seller has only bought items of womans appeal IN THE UK over the past 3 months. I live in SF so whatever. Now free shipping in the US?? Shipping a trailer like this is about $1 per mile. Arizona license plate, so a trip to the east coast would cost $2K+. No reserve with a $1900 opening bid. Sounds like they might be losing money on the deal.

There have been MANY incidents recently like this of identity theft. OK, you decide. I was trying to bring it up in case any Rennlister was looking at it.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:43 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good points. I'm wasn't interested anyway, so I guess I didn't look into all of the details, but you pointed out some very good points.

The free shipping I was skeptical of as well.

Brian
Old 11-19-2003, 07:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You have heard they saying that too good to be true probably is.

Heck I'd love to pick-up that unit for $4k. If it is the unit in the pictures it is a steal.

However for $4k or less PLUS free shipping it is like giving it away and a blank check. If I were just trying to get rid of it quick cause it would COST me more too keep then I might sell cheap, but the free shipping is very odd.

BTW... The guy could be a UK person who lives in Az in the winter.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:55 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

A few weeks ago my brother in law caklled me to ask me to check out an incredible buy on a Harley located in Italy. Looks to me like the same scam.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:02 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I see 4-5 of these scammers on the BMW and Ducati motorcycles every day. ALways preapproved bidders only and usually the US vs Europe disparities or vice versa and always the unbelievable low price. ALwasy tell Ebay about these when You see them they will be shut down in a few hours.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:39 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Here is a reply to a question I had asked. So the trailer is now in the UK, and Fedex will transport it back to the states paid for by the seller and I get the trailer for only $4000. And the seller is a Square Trader so my "wire transfer" money is protected. Right. Have a good laugh... Few points to note. What do you winterize in an empty trailer? Since when does a brit use z's in the words (winterized). But it should be OK since there is a 30 day money back guarantee.. I spent a lot of time in New Castle so I replied. We will see what they say.

Hi,

I am glad you are interested in the trailer.

I prefer to let you know all the details about this auction and about this deal so everything to be just fine.

Some words about the trailer: perfect condition,manufactured in 2003 in US,clear title,no liens,no damages,no dents,has been winterized,the roof is perfect,one conclusion-perfect.It comes with hitch part.Please review the auction to see all the details,specs.I purchased this trailer in May 03 and have pulled it only 2500 miles. The trailer was special ordered with many individual options. I sold my collector car so I no longer need the trailer.

Maybe the most important thing that i have to tell you is that i am affiliated at eBay Square Trade and i assume you know what mean this. I have $20,000.00 deposit in an eBay and SquareTrade managed purchase protection account.In case we will close this deal,you are protected by Square Trade.How you are protected by Square Trade,well,in case you will not receive the trailer as i described to you,Square trade will refund you with 100% from the whole amount which you paid to me.Even in case you will not receive the trailer,they will refund you the money.But this is not the case.One conclusion,you are protected.

Just to let you know that the trailer is in Newcastle/UK.Don't be worry about the shipping charges(shipping taxes,insurance and handling),i will pay the shipping charges(actually FedEx offered us a disscount of 79.2% from the amount of the shipping due the fact that we have a contract with them).So,you will not have to pay anything regarding the shipping.You will not have to pay any additional taxes like customs,etc,because the trailer is manufactured in US.

Delivery Time: 9 days
Price: $4000
Terms: 30 days money back quarentee.
Payment:Wire Transfer

If the trailer is what you are looking for and if you agree with these conditions then i will be glad to close this deal with you.

I will be waiting your email.

Kindly Regards,
Chris
Old 11-20-2003, 01:01 AM
Glen
Race Car

Invalid Item
The item you requested (2443955305) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has expired and is no longer available.

lol
Old 11-20-2003, 01:05 AM
Glen
Race Car

Here is another scammer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6026
Old 11-20-2003, 01:48 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I would bet the seller will provide a PPI??

Sorry, I am tired and couldn't resist. Better than the RHD comment I was about to make.

ViperBob, thanks for the heads-up!!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Viper Bob,
IMO he is a Nigerian, the style of his writing is just like many of those, once in a lifetime offers, we often see via email.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly Greg!

Btw, I have 12.5M USD that I need to have laundered. If you will kindly, place these funds in an account for me, buy several pieces of property, sell them and kindly return the proceeds to my offshore account, I will transfer title to my 2004 GT3 RS with a full spares package, 12 hours of instruction with Hurley Haywood at the track of your choice and 3 umbrella girls to keep you cool while you await your session to start.

I will await your response.

Kind regards,
[insert name here]

Quick Reply: eBay Trailer Scam