Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:31 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Default Who's at fault?

1. white 944
2. orange SPB

Two SPB's are racing each other at a recent PCA club race and in Lap 7 (+/-1) are approaching a lapped white 944 going 20-30sec per lap slower on a 2:45 track. The first clip of the video is from the second SPB. The second clip is from the orange SPB involved in the contact with the white 944. All cars continued racing and finished the race:

For those unfamiliar with Monticello (MMC):
https://www.monticellomotorclub.com/...hlighted-1.jpg

The contact occurred at the letter "I" on the map at the turn-in for Turn 17. The section is a high-speed, full-throttle, 'pseudo-straight' very similar to the WGI Esses or LRP No Name Straight.

Please explain your vote.
Thx!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:44 AM
FeuerRacing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By rule - it is the passing car's responsibility to make a clean pass and he didn't make a clean pass.

Not be rule - in mixed class racing it's also the slow cars responsibility to be very aware of their surroundings on incoming cars and that didn't seem to happen. I passed and got passed in that exact session during the Enduro without issues because we were all aware.

It's a tough place to pass and there was an opportunity for the SPB to back out but it was a very short opportunity. The 944 obviously wasn't comfortable being offline and allowing the pass which is their privilege.

If there was no majorly bent metal it would be a rub out in my opinion. Both are lucky that didn't escalate as their cars stayed stable broadsiding each-other. If a front/rear got clipped on it's own it will be a spin out like what happened to Gibbons last year there.

Oh... and on a side note - you need be full jumping the curb on 14 and landing on the edge of 15 to plant the car and go. That's worth 0.8 secs. My data card is in my car, which is in my trailer, which is in NJ so when I get back to it in a couple weeks I will share the track record and you can see the curb jump. Major time gained.

Last edited by FeuerRacing; 07-26-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Boy this reminds me of Watkins club race where I had to slam on the brakes going up the esses 3 times to avoid contact.
First......camera car from clip 1 should be winning....what gives....no one can be faster the Paolo

I would hope rub out but a stern talking to 944.....

white 944 should (key word) have been well aware of approaching orange spb. Spb made a slightly late move to inside technically after turn in . Same thing I would have done. I think he could have avoided the contact but would have had to slam on brakes or go off track to do so.
No room given..... 944..
no .....a safe pass was not made ... SPB
lapped car....stayed in line but was not aware of anything behind them, and if aware made NO effort to avoid contact....if not aware...big problem there....944

saw no blue flags shown.....

after VIR the definition racing room was explained in a way that boggled me.....so Maybe I need to reread the rules and Club Racing News columns to restructure my thought on the definition of racing room (center line vs car width plus a little)

but would hope no 13 awarded.....944 at fault being lapped car and un aware with warning or notation in log book.

this highlights a common situation I think......not working together at entry mid and exit....
Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

I don't see a second clip?

Stupid racing incident shared equally by both drivers.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Provost Motorsports
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a simular incident with the same car as I was approaching HOT ....Had to drill the brakes not to hit him
Just because I am in a faster car does not give me the right of way nor should he have to go off line because of me...The slower cars have a race also
In that situation I would have backed out and passed him after that corner or after fishhook That section is very dificult and a low percentage for passing
After all the prize money is the same win or lose and sometimes discretion is the better part of valer
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

No second clip Just second half of video is from orange car

also have not raced there, so not sure how offline one can go comfortably
agree slower car doesnt need to ruin his own race and stop.....but he is racing no one at this point....orange car has chase car just behind.....if leader is coming thru you should do all you can not to mess them up....It's all about flow
Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

stupid aggressice pass by the orange car in a spot where he should have known the white car would move to the right to take that turn properly. It is the orange cars responsibility to make a safe pass. 13 to the orange car.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Ah...
Still shared blame IMO
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Was this a DE? If not where does the line get drawn on being aware of your surroundings? Do you just get to cruise blindly along, running "the line" like a drone car in a slot car race and act like you are the only car out there? The white 944 was racing no one! I've been on the track with Cup Cars and others MUCH faster during a race and if I ran like that I wouldn't have made it 5 laps. He did not "need" to go to the apex at that speed and IMO it's a 50/50 at best and no 13 should be given, or if good ol PCA needs to hand them out, both get them.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
stupid aggressice pass by the orange car in a spot where he should have known the white car would move to the right to take that turn properly. It is the orange cars responsibility to make a safe pass. 13 to the orange car.
+1

I tell rookie drives to hold their line and let the faster car find a clean pass around them. this is a race not a DE. the white car held the race line. orange car made a poor pass.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'm waiting to vote till I see Kibort's response.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:14 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Kiborts response.

A little rubb-in is rac-in...
Old 07-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
Kiborts response.

A little rubb-in is rac-in...
Should have waited longer to upshift and shuffle steered. Because HP
Old 07-25-2017, 10:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Should have waited longer to upshift and shuffle steered. Because HP
This is when you really need properly aged tires.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is when you really need properly aged tires.
Exactly. I blame Russian interference.

Quick Reply: Who's at fault?