Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Loud Squealing Cold Pagid Yellow Racing Brake Pads Sound Like (Cayman)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:06 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by urban2k
This sounds exactly like the PCCB pads on my 991 GT3. Washing my car silences them for about 100 miles, but the noise always comes back. I'm getting my pads replaced today (cooked them during my last DE); hopefully it makes a difference.
if you want a near fool proof technique to bed them, PM me and ill send it over. cookng them in a DE, wont really do it.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:00 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Mark, what's with all the cloak and dagger with respect to this bedding process? Why not just start a thread and post it.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Mark, what's with all the cloak and dagger with respect to this bedding process? Why not just start a thread and post it.
There are too many people here without near the experience, even "pros" that dont fully understand the bedding process. I dont want to start a flame war, so i have been suggesting the process privately............about 20 people now.. now, when they are successful , they can post about it.

its pretty funny... i just replaced both sets of pads and used the traditional way, or problmatic way (rears had a cracked rotor so i needed to put on new rotors with old pads) , first and ended up with very noisy set ups .... Then, after, used my process and they are both silent. (the rears are more challenging, for many reasons.)

Let me know if you want to know the process.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:39 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
if you want a near fool proof technique to bed them, PM me and ill send it over. cookng them in a DE, wont really do it.
PM sent :-).

I think one of my problems is that I occasionally commute with my car; an average speed of 17mph likely doesn't heat up the brakes enough.

I attached an image of my brake pads after I cooked them, likely due to too short cool down lap. Expensive mistake; lessons learned.
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2017, 07:23 PM
rbpeirce
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
I've ran PFC08's and PFC11's on OEM and Girodisc rotors (without using the OEM vibration dampers) - they always squealed like a banshee on the street between track days. This year I actually tried using Girodisc titanium shims hoping to keep some heat away from the piston seals but as an unexpected surprise the PFC11 pads were silent on the street and track. I can't say this is definitive but it seems like the shims act similarly to the OEM vibration dampers that usually attach to the pistons.

Anyone else have experience with shims?
Pagid Yellow on stock rotors with titanium shims. Greatly reduced but not eliminated. The longer away from the track the more they squeal but it does seem to take longer for it to start..
Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by urban2k
PM sent :-).

I think one of my problems is that I occasionally commute with my car; an average speed of 17mph likely doesn't heat up the brakes enough.

I attached an image of my brake pads after I cooked them, likely due to too short cool down lap. Expensive mistake; lessons learned.
that wont be a problem when bedded properly. once they are bedded street and track are no problem. dont know if the lack of cool down could really do anything other than put a hot spot on your rotors when you stop. one caveat.. a CF rotor can be more challenging to bed.. what rotors, iron or CF?

Originally Posted by rbpeirce
Pagid Yellow on stock rotors with titanium shims. Greatly reduced but not eliminated. The longer away from the track the more they squeal but it does seem to take longer for it to start..
my beddling technique will completely eliminate the noise. they will never squeal, even on the street for extended periods. ive been doing this for 20 years now.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:24 AM
boosted_rb
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeal

Originally Posted by mark kibort
There are too many people here without near the experience, even "pros" that dont fully understand the bedding process. I dont want to start a flame war, so i have been suggesting the process privately............about 20 people now.. now, when they are successful , they can post about it.

its pretty funny... i just replaced both sets of pads and used the traditional way, or problmatic way (rears had a cracked rotor so i needed to put on new rotors with old pads) , first and ended up with very noisy set ups .... Then, after, used my process and they are both silent. (the rears are more challenging, for many reasons.)

Let me know if you want to know the process.
Hey Mate, can i please receive this process. in km's as unit of measure too if possible. Cheers
Old 12-14-2023, 01:24 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 480 Posts

Pagid's bed in procedure that comes in the instruction sheet works for me. I'm not sure about a six year old thread where someone claims a cryptic method that only he knows. And he claims to know more than the pros and the manufacturer. And he won't share it with the thread, only by PM if you know the secret handshake.

I'm late to the game here (started tracking in 2021) and don't know this dude, but it's a weird thread. Follow manufacturer's instructions. Throw a little Permatex on the contact point with the piston during installation. They may still squeal slightly. Small sacrifice for track capability.

Last edited by ldamelio; 12-15-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:36 PM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts

Brake squealing solved with this $2.75 fix ....

https://fastlanegraphixs.com/product...acecar-sticker
The following 2 users liked this post by ANGST:
GC996 (12-18-2023), ldamelio (12-15-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 02:47 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Kibort Kibort Kibort

Let's see if he appears......
The following 4 users liked this post by dgrobs:
Difool (12-14-2023), Mike Murphy (12-14-2023), roadie13 (12-14-2023), Veloce Raptor (12-14-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 06:25 PM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Kibort Kibort Kibort

Let's see if he appears......

you are dancing with the devil...
Old 12-18-2023, 06:35 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony42hat
you are dancing with the devil...
My specialty...
Old 12-20-2023, 06:59 PM
Hike
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now there are hybrid - or middle ground pads - that can serve dual purposes, and plenty of track pads don't squeal. But in general, no, bedding properly is not the surefire way to stop squeal
Old 12-21-2023, 12:04 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,456 Likes on 1,995 Posts

Embrace the squeal. Means you have substance over form.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 09:29 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Hike
Now there are hybrid - or middle ground pads - that can serve dual purposes, and plenty of track pads don't squeal. But in general, no, bedding properly is not the surefire way to stop squeal
Not really. Ferodo 2500s are about the only thing marketed as such. They're OK for beginning drivers on the track, but wear incredibly fast once you're really hustling the car. And they squeak a little on the street also.

Quick Reply: What Loud Squealing Cold Pagid Yellow Racing Brake Pads Sound Like (Cayman)