Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Loud Squealing Cold Pagid Yellow Racing Brake Pads Sound Like (Cayman)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Mark- no way
I guess I'm just lucky then.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:20 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
that isnt exactly true... i can provide a process that assures no squealing, even with 6 months of street driving. its all in the bedding process. what you say is true though.. however, its a distant relative to the real solution. proper initial bed in. again, this is 20 years of doing this with NO squealing for track and street duty.
I read through the past posts so I'm not sure if I missed it, but I would love to know what the proper bedding process is to prevent squeal?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

A German car that does not have squealing brakes has no brakes.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kibort Braking bedding procedure. In all seriousness- Pagid go through stages it seems. I don't run them anymore. Even with PFC's I'll get squeal it seems at times. I always use to run floating rotors -which just adds to the harmony (but I hate Giro Disc- sorry) . Back right now to just nice Deman Rotors. Lasting forever it seems. Mark must know the secret.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Kibort Braking bedding procedure. In all seriousness- Pagid go through stages it seems. I don't run them anymore. Even with PFC's I'll get squeal it seems at times. I always use to run floating rotors -which just adds to the harmony (but I hate Giro Disc- sorry) . Back right now to just nice Deman Rotors. Lasting forever it seems. Mark must know the secret.
yes, the truth is, its a "procedure" that must be done from the pads out of the box.. when done properly, there is no squeak or noise on or off the track and it never occurs later either. floating rotors (true floating rotors) can add a variable. my floating rotors are not true floating, and that might make a difference.

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
I read through the past posts so I'm not sure if I missed it, but I would love to know what the proper bedding process is to prevent squeal?
PM sent.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, I'll consider your procedure if you could PM me it. But that transfer layer on my rotors is pretty obvious after racing or solid track sessions . I may not swap out my pads but I do swap wheels and tires between track and street so get a good look each time. It's easily noticed through the wheels too when it starts to wear off again as it is patchy (well, more streaky really) for a few days before it fully disappears again.

Granted, some pads (sintered ones, and maybe carbon or ceramic based if not using an organic resin binder?) might perhaps not produce that transfer layer on the rotors when hot, but my Pagids do, and they do run quiet while it lasts.

I've ran PFC08's and PFC11's on OEM and Girodisc rotors (without using the OEM vibration dampers) - they always squealed like a banshee on the street between track days. This year I actually tried using Girodisc titanium shims hoping to keep some heat away from the piston seals but as an unexpected surprise the PFC11 pads were silent on the street and track. I can't say this is definitive but it seems like the shims act similarly to the OEM vibration dampers that usually attach to the pistons.

Anyone else have experience with shims?
Thanks for sharing that. Been wanting titanium shims to better protect my pistons - and so fluid - from pad heat (and ideally ceramic calipers) but have held off, mostly just as it is already tight there when fitting new endurance pads.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Mark, I'll consider your procedure if you could PM me it. But that transfer layer on my rotors is pretty obvious after racing or solid track sessions . I may not swap out my pads but I do swap wheels and tires between track and street so get a good look each time. It's easily noticed through the wheels too when it starts to wear off again as it is patchy (well, more streaky really) for a few days before it fully disappears again.

Granted, some pads (sintered ones, and maybe carbon or ceramic based if not using an organic resin binder?) might perhaps not produce that transfer layer on the rotors when hot, but my Pagids do, and they do run quiet while it lasts.

Thanks for sharing that. Been wanting titanium shims to better protect my pistons - and so fluid - from pad heat (and ideally ceramic calipers) but have held off, mostly just as it is already tight there when fitting new endurance pads.
I understand your observations. The film is visible (smearing) during the bed in process, but after, it will never appear again, especially if you are racing the car. i showed picuturs of this at the runoffs when i put on the 2 piece rotors for the first time. (bedded at the track) however, after the first qualifying it was totally gone and very clean. i also have a video of taking the stock rotors off the car right after the race, and showed using emry cloth, sand paper and scotch brite to show there was no film anywhere. again,it has to do with temp and pressure. And this is a Pagid black or orange pad as well. (RS14 or RS4-4. ) so , with my 20 years experience with this, i can tell you when you see the smear...... you hear the squeal. sometimes you dont if its very even. then, when you hear it when its gone, its because the surfaces are not aligned as good as they can be. its a very high frequency "bite and release" that creates the noise. when the rotors are clean and pads are bedded properly, you dont have that.

there are all sorts of theories out there, but this is what I have observed and the proof is in the experience. anyone that has been racing with me and shares a pit and repair activities, has NEVER heard a squeal at the track or on the street. glad you think it is worth a try . anxious to hear how it works for you. PM sent.

Mk
Old 06-18-2017, 03:24 PM
OirishKev
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you mind PM'ing me also please. Love my RS29s on my track car. So much so I thought to put them on my cayman. WOW do they squeal.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OirishKev
Would you mind PM'ing me also please. Love my RS29s on my track car. So much so I thought to put them on my cayman. WOW do they squeal.
The RS29s are the wild card.. they are pretty hard and its the one type of pad i havent tried. (endurance pad) however, i was told that the EBC Orange is a similar pad and it was one that took a lot of effort to bed properly... and even that was successful on the performance street car i own as well. (14" rotors , brembos , etc)

Ill PM you now and let us know how it goes. if you just put them on recently there is still a good chance you can fix the noise. rotors are in new or near new shape?
Old 06-18-2017, 03:45 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ran PFC08's and PFC11's on OEM and Girodisc rotors (without using the OEM vibration dampers) - they always squealed like a banshee on the street between track days. This year I actually tried using Girodisc titanium shims hoping to keep some heat away from the piston seals but as an unexpected surprise the PFC11 pads were silent on the street and track. I can't say this is definitive but it seems like the shims act similarly to the OEM vibration dampers that usually attach to the pistons.

Anyone else have experience with shims?
I run pfc 11s and they don't squeal... Usually...
Old 06-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark. I think you are incorrect. RS29 Black are not the endurance pads. Yellows are. 29's were the pads I was referring to that go through stages. YOU could not keep them quiet. New rotor or old?
Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 PM
garyever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new Pagid yellow pads started squealing a few days after being installed along with new rotors a year or so back. Porsche mechanic's previous break-in instructions were to not do any hard braking until I had put some miles on them. After a few more days I did three or more panic stops form 60 mph to almost "0" on an open stretch of the freeway and the hard braking rubbed off whatever was causing the vibration. I do the same procedure on my mountain bike when trail grims builds up on the disk brakes, and same on my pickup, when I start hearing that squeal. Now after a year, every few months I hear squeals, do the same hard breaking, and the squeals disappear for a while. It appears to me to just be accumulated brake dust and grime. Give it a try.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:05 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

its a very high frequency "bite and release" that creates the noise. when the rotors are clean and pads are bedded properly, you dont have that.

there are all sorts of theories out there, but this is what I have observed and the proof is in the experience. anyone that has been racing with me and shares a pit and repair activities, has NEVER heard a squeal at the track or on the street. glad you think it is worth a try . anxious to hear how it works for you. PM sent.

Mk
Originally Posted by OirishKev
The RS29s are the wild card.. they are pretty hard and its the one type of pad i havent tried. (endurance pad) however, i was told that the EBC Orange is a similar pad and it was one that took a lot of effort to bed properly... and even that was successful on the performance street car i own as well. (14" rotors , brembos , etc)

Ill PM you now and let us know how it goes. if you just put them on recently there is still a good chance you can fix the noise. rotors are in new or near new shape?
Mark. I think you are incorrect. RS29 Black are not the endurance pads. Yellows are. 29's were the pads I was referring to that go through stages. YOU could not keep them quiet. New rotor or old?
Mark - awaiting your PM still. Mine too are the RSL29s (rear anyway - RST2 reds front) and are possibly the world's best squealers so would be a good test.

It takes a serious bedding procedure (the kind that would see me pulled over on road) or serious track laps to shut them up for even a day. Even an autocross day a month or two back (won, so wasn't hanging around) didn't get them hot enough to quiet them for even that long.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:22 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by garyever
My new Pagid yellow pads started squealing a few days after being installed along with new rotors a year or so back. Porsche mechanic's previous break-in instructions were to not do any hard braking until I had put some miles on them. After a few more days I did three or more panic stops form 60 mph to almost "0" on an open stretch of the freeway and the hard braking rubbed off whatever was causing the vibration. I do the same procedure on my mountain bike when trail grims builds up on the disk brakes, and same on my pickup, when I start hearing that squeal. Now after a year, every few months I hear squeals, do the same hard breaking, and the squeals disappear for a while. It appears to me to just be accumulated brake dust and grime. Give it a try.
Hi Gary. There are 2 basic kinds of Pagid Yellows - endurance pads and road pads. Do you have the RS19/RS29/RSL29 endurance racing pads, or do you have the road yellows (Pagid P90s)? If you're only hearing squeals every few months I'm picking the road P90s, unless you are hitting the track or bombing a decent canyon a couple of times a week?

FWIW, endurance yellows squealed on my OEM rotors, and then the same on Sebro slotteds - despite the slots theoretically helping to keep the pads clean.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I never said that the RS29s were "Black". the RS29 are the endurance pad. (yes, they are called "yellows" )

Quick Reply: What Loud Squealing Cold Pagid Yellow Racing Brake Pads Sound Like (Cayman)