Sponsored by:

Driver Hydration System

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:12 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Driver Hydration System

With my car in the shop getting a refresh, I've decided to use the opportunity to see how much more money I can pour on it before I come to my senses.

Now that Summer is upon us, I thought this would be a timely post for anyone looking to add a hydration system.

I already have an effective driver cooling system but nothing in place for hydration. I always ran some kind of drink system when I raced bikes, even sprint races. Those system were pretty rudimentary, often a version of a camelback with a bite valve to keep it from draining out during braking. We mounted the drink tube on straps under the helmet rim and ran it through a vent hole in the chin guard. The bladder was mounted in the speed "hump" on the back of my leathers. I wanted something a bit more advanced this time. I asked around and got directed to a slick system marketed by a company called Progressive Motorsports. The kit I selected is the EDS Ultra with a 1 L capacity. The kit consist of a one piece pump/bottle holder, several 1 L insulated (thermos style) bottles, insulated tubing with one way valve and a dry break quick coupler and a helmet plumbing kit. The system has to be wired into the car's electrical system and requires a push to drink button on the steering wheel.

I sent the kit to the shop doing the refresh to add to the ever longer "to do" list. I'm thinking that mounting it next to my cool suit box will be a pretty good spot.

Here are some pictures of the kit and the plumbed helmet:

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1273_zps9nne2rak.jpeg
Views: 4343
Size:  1.67 MB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1276_zpscxtpgglf.jpeg
Views: 5235
Size:  1.51 MB
This is the dry break QD where the tubing enters the helmet.

Name:  DSCN0820_zpsnxthcn3k.jpg
Views: 3766
Size:  1.57 MB
Drink tube in position.

Of course the trick is how well this will work and how big a mess (wet mic., etc), I'll make while getting used to it. Looks like a well thought out design and if it can keep the water somewhat cooler than ambient for the duration of the event, I'll consider it a success.

I'll post up the results.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:53 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice. I have a camelback with a bite valve.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:04 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

what does the kit cost?
Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way cheaper to just make your own. I grabbed an RTIC bottle, and bought the quick release parts from Mcmaster Carr. I think I'm $40 all in for a insulated RTIC bottle (Think same as Yeti for much less). I then just 3D printed a mount for the car. Plugs right into my Stilo helmet.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:39 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^^^^
Old 06-13-2017, 01:14 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Speaking of 3D printed hydration systems... This is the one that I've designed and will be testing out shortly. Unit is printed on our SLS machine in nylon and uses standard SIGG 1 liter bottles. Standard roll bar mount can be swapped out to a custom fitted unit or bulkhead mounting. Push to drink button can be mounted where desired.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Camelback, hanging on the back of my seat, plumbed to my Stilo.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:31 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

did you end up getting this system installed? thoughts?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
Way cheaper to just make your own. I grabbed an RTIC bottle, and bought the quick release parts from Mcmaster Carr. I think I'm $40 all in for a insulated RTIC bottle (Think same as Yeti for much less). I then just 3D printed a mount for the car. Plugs right into my Stilo helmet.
Hey, Plavan

Can you post the McMaster Carr part numbers that quick release mount to the Stilo hydration system?

I need some of that action! Thanks
Old 04-24-2018, 11:38 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I had a hydration system in my car and hating the feeling of the drink tube at my mouth the whole race. How does everyone deal with that? I felt like I couldn't speak on the radio.

I tend to drink a lot before an enduro (1.5 hour) race and drink a bottle of water at the pit stop, and then drink a ton when the race is over.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Hey, Plavan

Can you post the McMaster Carr part numbers that quick release mount to the Stilo hydration system?

It's been awhile, but I'm 99% sure it was these ones. Double check the diameter on the Stilo
https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/244/=1cjwov0
https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/245/=1cjwp91
Old 04-24-2018, 12:20 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Hey, Plavan

if you're just looking for the QD, I think I paid ~$30 from winding road for the part and tube for inside the helmet with bite piece. Its just a camelback piece...

https://store.windingroad.com/stilo-...unt-p1335.aspx

Last edited by nxfedlt1; 04-24-2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: corrected product price
Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I had a hydration system in my car and hating the feeling of the drink tube at my mouth the whole race. How does everyone deal with that? I felt like I couldn't speak on the radio.

I tend to drink a lot before an enduro (1.5 hour) race and drink a bottle of water at the pit stop, and then drink a ton when the race is over.
Same...and I tried moving it further away, but now I look like I'm performing some sort of tongue olympics on my helmet trying to get the bite piece in my mouth.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:52 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
did you end up getting this system installed? thoughts?
Yes I did, works great.

We decided to install the bottle holder/pump assembly on the floor next to the passenger side door and route the feed line up and over my center position safety net. I had to turn the QD on my helmet around as the line comes in from behind now, but it is a simple hook up even with gloves on. With the current arrangement, the bottles can be swapped out the same time the cool suit box is getting refreshed. The insulated bottle and insulated feed tube keeps the water ice cold for pretty much the entire volume. No problems with spills. I put the tube in my mouth, push the button on the steering wheel and cold water flows as long as I hold the button down. The kit came with Three 1 liter bottles which I find is more than enough, but there is a Three 1.5 liter bottle option if you need more.

So far, I'm very happy with the system.

You can see the feed line in the bottom Left of the picture. The Red and White part is a one way check valve to prevent back flow and to keep water in the line so you don't get a mouth full of air after priming the system. It also eliminates the need for a bite piece to prevent leaking. If you don't like having the tube in your mouth all the time, route the tubing from the QD outside your helmet and have it enter through one of the vents in the front leaving a little excess. Then you can use your hand to push or pull the tube as needed. Works for the endurance drivers.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:04 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Seems over engineered. I just use a 1/3 gallon Coleman jug with some food grade tubing and some connectors into my Stilo helmet.

Quick Reply: Driver Hydration System