Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting/parking area for COTA HPDE

Old 06-07-2017, 11:06 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Waiting/parking area for COTA HPDE

I just signed up for the Chin HPDE at COTA in August. If you don't get a garage, where do you wait for the next session? Given the heat in August, if we have to wait outside, im thinking about buying a canopy/tent to sit under.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:22 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you aren't in a garage, then you're in the open paddock area so I would definitely bring a canopy.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:00 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

If you are not from Texas -- you will be amazed at the heat -- August will feel like a hair dryer.
Not unusual to have 15MPH, 100 degree wind. On the paddock, it will feel worse.

+on the canopy. But make sure you tie it down well (spare tires/sandbags) -- wind can pick up quickly.

I would also recommend befriending someone in the garages -- they are amazingly cooler than the rest of the facility.
It's almost as if they have natural air-conditioning. Bring a chair and sit on the pit road side in the shade at least in the mornings.

There are usually buildings/rooms that are open and have actual AC if you need to get out of the heat.

Bring lots of water and gatorade or similar.

Mike
Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

I'll be coming up from Laredo, where I've lived for the past two years, and Austin is cooler than Laredo on any given day, but yes, still quite hot! And I'm sure the track will be even hotter.

But my brother is going to be a second driver in my car, and is coming down from Manhattan/Chicago, so he's going to be in for a shock.

Space is going to be an issue on this trip though. I'm not trailering the S2000 I'll be driving, so I'm limited to my trunk. I can fit a canopy and two small folding chairs, and some maintenance necessities, but not much more. So we'll see what I can do.

Is the paddock area secured over night?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:23 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Get a garage, worth every penny. I wouldn't do a HPDE in August in TX though, miserable.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Get a garage, worth every penny. I wouldn't do a HPDE in August in TX though, miserable.
I see that the garages are $600 for 4 cars, but that I can "sub-lease" individual spots from the main occupant. I think I'll get a spot.

If anyone here is going and has room for a little S2000 and two guests, please send me a PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:51 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Being the professional tightwad that I am, I've never paid for a garage at COTA. The trick of the paddock is get there early. Paddock spaces near the garages are usually few and far between because there is stuff out there. But there is a little secret spot. See the attached photo and the red circle.

That is a concrete pad out in the middle of the paddock asphalt. The nice thing about this is no need to worry about jack pads for your trailer, car, or jackstands if the need arises. Right near it is a single bathroom and meeting room that is air conditioned. Last time I was there with Chin, this was the location for the driver's meeting.

It is also close to track out. In between the classrooms and the driver's meeting room is an open space where the lunch trucks park.

A canopy is definitely a good idea.

For food, check out Bubba's Wild Game over in Elroy at Elroy road and 812. It is a little hole in the wall. Great burgers, great prices, and COTA stuff all over the walls.

OT: Kind of cool that google caught an airplane overflying the straight between T19 and T20.

-Mike
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2017, 12:02 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by cds4402
I see that the garages are $600 for 4 cars, but that I can "sub-lease" individual spots from the main occupant. I think I'll get a spot.

If anyone here is going and has room for a little S2000 and two guests, please send me a PM.
You could really fit 5-6 cars in a garage if you don't have a lot of extra gear or tools/tires.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:08 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
Being the professional tightwad that I am, I've never paid for a garage at COTA. The trick of the paddock is get there early. Paddock spaces near the garages are usually few and far between because there is stuff out there. But there is a little secret spot. See the attached photo and the red circle.

That is a concrete pad out in the middle of the paddock asphalt. The nice thing about this is no need to worry about jack pads for your trailer, car, or jackstands if the need arises. Right near it is a single bathroom and meeting room that is air conditioned. Last time I was there with Chin, this was the location for the driver's meeting.

It is also close to track out. In between the classrooms and the driver's meeting room is an open space where the lunch trucks park.

A canopy is definitely a good idea.

For food, check out Bubba's Wild Game over in Elroy at Elroy road and 812. It is a little hole in the wall. Great burgers, great prices, and COTA stuff all over the walls.

OT: Kind of cool that google caught an airplane overflying the straight between T19 and T20.

-Mike
How early is early? I see that I can get tech and registration done the day before, on Friday. So I was going to do that. I don't have a canopy yet, so I need to see how much they are, and weigh that cost (and the lack of trunk space) with the cost of a garage space.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
You could really fit 5-6 cars in a garage if you don't have a lot of extra gear or tools/tires.
Okay, good to know.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:11 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

How early is early? I see that I can get tech and registration done the day before, on Friday. So I was going to do that. I don't have a canopy yet, so I need to see how much they are, and weigh that cost (and the lack of trunk space) with the cost of a garage space.
When the paddock opens first day of event. It's better to get there the day before, but not necessary. Keep in mind Chin events are relatively small so the paddock isn't as crowded for say the PCA/BMW events.

-Mike
Old 06-08-2017, 12:32 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
When the paddock opens first day of event. It's better to get there the day before, but not necessary. Keep in mind Chin events are relatively small so the paddock isn't as crowded for say the PCA/BMW events.

-Mike
Okay thanks. If you're going, I'd like to check out your car. I had a 98.5 M3 for about 8 years before it was totaled on an icy bridge.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Garages have a private bathrooms, air hookups, electrical hook ups and it's much nicer to work on a car in a garage than out on the paddock in the sun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Waiting/parking area for COTA HPDE