Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 987part
Must me kmh

Terrible crash indeed, glad hes alive
MPH. Jumped from 230 to 331 right after impact ricochet.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2017, 02:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v4.0
MPH. Jumped from 230 to 331 right after impact ricochet.
Its an erroneous value. things don't accelerate when they ricochet.
What a nasty crash. as mike said, this wouldnt have ended as well as it did a few years ago witih the safety improvements.
poor guy! those are some nasty injuries to the hip and pelvis. Glad he survived!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
I don't thank they should be racing open cockpit cars in ovals.
I tend to agree with you on that one for sure!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I just watched that impact a few times... WOW, that is NOTHING like even Earnharts impact. that was 230mph directly into a 45 degree change of direction. the wall did nothing.... it didnt seem to move at all. the car did all the energy absorption i would love to see the g-meter on that one. i suppose we can calculate it pretty close, but im amazed he survived.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I just watched that impact a few times... WOW, that is NOTHING like even Earnharts impact. that was 230mph directly into a 45 degree change of direction. the wall did nothing.... it didnt seem to move at all. the car did all the energy absorption i would love to see the g-meter on that one. i suppose we can calculate it pretty close, but im amazed he survived.
Peaked at 100G according to the Pruett article on racer.com. Lucky he didn't have diffuse brain injury at that level.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

232 MPH average for Dixon... 238 into the corner, it's pretty unreal. Hell, I think I saw 3rd gear at 210 mph!

Anyone hear any update on Bourdais today? Hayden is unfortunately feeling like a Schumacher outcome to me... As I said in the OP, fingers crossed for both of them.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 AM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surgery went well last night. He was seeing visitors today and said he feels better than expected. Wants to get back into the cockpit as soon as possible.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I was thinking last night about those safer-barriers, wondering if they were designed more to cushion the 1600-lbs IndyCar or 3400-lbs NASCAR impact.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:42 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Peaked at 100G according to the Pruett article on racer.com. Lucky he didn't have diffuse brain injury at that level.
Incredible that he survived that impact. I think its close to the limit!

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
232 MPH average for Dixon... 238 into the corner, it's pretty unreal. Hell, I think I saw 3rd gear at 210 mph!
3rd gear? 210mph? hmmm

Originally Posted by LostSouth
Surgery went well last night. He was seeing visitors today and said he feels better than expected. Wants to get back into the cockpit as soon as possible.
thats great news!

Originally Posted by CCA
I was thinking last night about those safer-barriers, wondering if they were designed more to cushion the 1600-lbs IndyCar or 3400-lbs NASCAR impact.
i think the differnce of size and speed would make the energy per sq/ft about the same.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:02 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

What's the point of racing anything in ovals?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:12 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
I believe this is a case of lighter is better. Do a thought experiment, imagine he hit the wall in a semi-truck at the same speed. My guess is the barrier would be much more ineffective as it's ability to absorb crash energy would be overwhelmed.

The purpose of crumple zones and SAFER barriers is to increase the duration of the impact as this deflects crash energy from the occupant. The SAFER barrier didn't compress as much because the 1600 lb car had 1/2 the energy of the 3400 lb stock car at the same speed, but it did lengthen the time of impact.

My $0.02. As an engineer, I'm awed at how well these safety system work. It is clear someone knows what they are doing.

-Mike
Old 05-22-2017, 10:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Hell, I think I saw 3rd gear at 210 mph!
Yes, I think I heard during Saturday's broadcast that only about 50 RPM seperate most of the gears (4, 5, and 6).

I saw the live broadcast of the crash Saturday. Shocking. Wishing him a speedy & successful recovery. The safety crews did a great job, and were there fast. But, a few of those guys could afford to lose about 40-60 pounds, unless TV and flame suite "adds" that weight, I appologize.

Good luck to Rennlister Graham Rahal on Sunday in the Steak & Shake car.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
I believe this is a case of lighter is better. Do a thought experiment, imagine he hit the wall in a semi-truck at the same speed. My guess is the barrier would be much more ineffective as it's ability to absorb crash energy would be overwhelmed.

The purpose of crumple zones and SAFER barriers is to increase the duration of the impact as this deflects crash energy from the occupant. The SAFER barrier didn't compress as much because the 1600 lb car had 1/2 the energy of the 3400 lb stock car at the same speed, but it did lengthen the time of impact.

My $0.02. As an engineer, I'm awed at how well these safety system work. It is clear someone knows what they are doing.

-Mike
Did you read my post? from an engineering perspective, we are comparing a 3400lb car at 180mph and a 1600lb car at 230mph. the energy is only 25% more for the heavier car ( 55VRs vs 44VRs. ) the frontal area is less than half on the Indy car, so that might equal things out with a force per sq/ft of near the same.

as far as your comparison of the Semi at the same speed, it all boils down to the rate of decel. how far things move is a critical factor . if it moved twice as far , and with double the weight, the g peaks might be the same. double the weight, double the energy. 4x the weight, 4x the energy. so, how far the walls move based on force and how it is applied and how the wall reacts is the question there. but the point of the "thought" experiment is to compare nascar (hevier and slower) vs Indy (lighter and faster) and the energy dissipation.
speed is the dominant as it is a squared factor

Originally Posted by hf1
What's the point of racing anything in ovals?
Death defying speeds and duration!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
I thought I saw they change the foam blocks to tune for the mass/velocity of the car.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

That's a nasty crash, thank goodness his injuries weren't worse.

Considering the 100G impact, the safety systems did their job in preventing fatality.

The injuries to his pelvis are a reminder to keep those belts tight, including the lap belts. Much better to put impact force into the pelvis than the chest, and tight lap belts are needed to achieve that.

Regardless of whether the SAFER barrier was optimized for these cars, it surely helped significantly.

I question the idea of running these types of cars on a banked oval track with no runoff. Even with SAFER barrier, the risk seems excessive.

Quick Reply: Bourdais crash at Indy