Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Instructor Certifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

If I wanted to start paying more I'd do so to drive solo and quit instructing.

I really like the challenge and interaction of instructing thus I continue to do it. If this fee based certification is something to be required moving forward I'll pass and just go back to solo driving for myself.

I think many will be like me and it will be more of a negative impact to the instructing core than a positive one. What you'll end up wit is people eager to be instructors that probably aren't there yet talent or knowledge wise but signed up for a class after their first year of DE's and now that they can talk the talk for their $50 they are the next great instructor core.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I respectfully disagree.

The professional coaches are not the target market and there aren't enough of them (relative to how many volunteer instructors exist) to influence the outcome by "not playing".

Why would a pro need certification from MSF? MSF is geared toward the amateur volunteer who has a job doing something else, or is retired - but not earning their living in the right seat.
Exactly.

This is like a dentist going for a dental tech certificate.

Target market is the weekend warrior instructors - not paid instructors.

I don't know if this is a money grab although the insurance component, in addition to whatever the organization your are running with provides, is a positive thing. But I do worry that once the hook is set the extra insurance will become part of the gig and the fees are ratcheted up.

Still not sure it is a bad thing, but since PCA didn't buy into it, I'm not sure how relevant it is to me and other people who primarily run PCA events.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:49 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I think I came up with the perfect analogy...

Your best friends car breaks down.... You volunteer to help him work on it, since he helped you when yours broke down last year.. He then tells you, he only wants ASE certified techs working on his car.. Please go get yourself certified before he will "let" you help him.

If that's what you want, go hire a professional. I already have an 80hr/wk job.. I don't need another.

However, today, there is no certification for "HPDE Instructor". There is no professional market out there... Once the certification comes around, I see the opportunity for folks to monetize that... That may actually be a good thing...

Last edited by jscott82; 05-18-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
I think I came up with the perfect analogy...

Your best friends car breaks down... He has no money to fix it... You volunteer to help him work on it, since he helped you when yours broke down last year.. He then tells you, he only wants ASE certified techs working on his car.. Please go get yourself certified before he will "let" you help him.

If that's what you want, go hire a professional. I already have an 80hr/wk job.. I don't need another.

However, today, there is no certification for "HPDE Instructor". There is no professional market out there... Once the certification comes around, I see the opportunity for folks to monetize that... That may actually be a good thing...
Not a perfect analogy.

I'm pretty sure we have all met an instructor who has no clue. Or an organization which does not handle instruction prudently. That being said, I think the market decides this.

I like running with PCA-CVR because you have to earn each run group promotion and go through rigorous training to become an instructor. You are watched for a while, attend an initial training class, mentored by senior instructors, then mentored as you begin your coaching career. Only after you have proved yourself are you signed off and take the national test.

I run mainly with CVR because I know what I am getting. Many people do the same thing with the regions/organizations they are comfortable with.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

This is like a dentist going for a dental tech certificate.
I am a dentist who also has a dental tech certificate, so am I a pro coach now?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:32 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
whats the timeline from dentist to dental tech?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
whats the timeline from dentist to dental tech?
$50/year
Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

I for one am very for the average instructor getting more training. The real problem I see is that they themselves need the training more on track and not only from an online course. One can only apply what they know to instructing . If you cant do it right yourself well sorry how can you teach it

Just because they will now carry a card that says they are instructors doesn't make them a better instructor.

This wasn't meant to bash anyone. We just need to do a better job looking at the quality of our own talent in our own backyard. I am all for instructors needing to do the time and continuing education if it really will make them better instructors. Just not sure this is the answer. But is great that we are talking about a very real need
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

$50/year
/thread
Old 05-18-2017, 07:48 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Facepalm.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I was a paralegal before becoming an attorney. Hopefully you followed a similar career path.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I was a paralegal before becoming an attorney. Hopefully you followed a similar career path.
I never wanted to be an attorney in fear that people would hate me...... instead I became a dentist (after being a lab tech)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
The professional coaches are not the target market and there aren't enough of them (relative to how many volunteer instructors exist) to influence the outcome by "not playing".

Why would a pro need certification from MSF? MSF is geared toward the amateur volunteer who has a job doing something else, or is retired - but not earning their living in the right seat.
True. JP, Peter Argetsinger, Simon Kirkby, Rob Slonaker, Chris Hall, myself and a fair number of others do not make up a significant number, relative to how many volunteer instructors that exist. We're not their target. Of that I am sure.

If MSF offered the level of continuing education that would help us do our professional jobs better, I am sure we could be convinced to drop the price of a good dinner on learning best practices.

Volunteer instructor corps around the country with HUNDREDS of different organizations vary widely in their knowledge and capability. This is fact.

I see a lot of people writing this initiative off or ascribing motives that are foreign to the principals of MSF, that's for sure. AFAIK, it is PCA who spurned MSF...

I'm interested in learning more, but not a game-changer for me, either way.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I never wanted to be an attorney in fear that people would hate me...... instead I became a dentist (after being a lab tech)
I'm pretty certain most people would rather not see either of us!
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

I like dentists! Of course, my dentist is in her thirties and HOT

Quick Reply: New Instructor Certifications