Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hankook out of Ventus Z214's in 275/35/18?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Hankook out of Ventus Z214's in 275/35/18?

Has anyone else seen this? I can't find them anywhere in a C51 compound. I tried a C91 last weekend out and shredded it in two sessions. Best answer I could get from anyone around the C51 was Summit who said "maybe" August. Tire Rack has no ETA at all, not even a date in their system. Anyone else experience the same or have any luck finding some? Guess it's time to move to Hoosier.

BTW, this was the C91 after it died mid way through the 3rd session and me rolling it over two corners after it gave out... The cording is the inside of the tire, I am guessing a few minutes from the sidewall separating entirely, the tire peeling away was the outside half.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:33 PM
wgn
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Same story, different year.

Z-214 out of stock, no idea if/when it will be back. Some years it's been out of stock 8 months. Doesn't exactly encourage people to use them as their go-to tire.

Shame since it's a great value if you can get it.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:31 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Paul
The secret to running Hankook z214's --a fabulous DE tire/ value in my opinion--is to purchase a big bunch of them every time they're available. They ship tires from Korea when they feel like, and there's no way to guess the next time they'll be available. They're regularly out of stock for months.

Have you tried DiscountTire online, or Joe at Tire Shoppe (he's in PA or Ohio iirc), or ebay ? I've sometimes found stock at those sources when none is available elsewhere.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wgn
Same story, different year.

Z-214 out of stock, no idea if/when it will be back. Some years it's been out of stock 8 months. Doesn't exactly encourage people to use them as their go-to tire.

Shame since it's a great value if you can get it.
The more people I speak to the more feedback I get that seems to match what you are saying... This is a recurring event with them apparently.

Originally Posted by mhm993
Paul
The secret to running Hankook z214's --a fabulous DE tire/ value in my opinion--is to purchase a big bunch of them every time they're available. They ship tires from Korea when they feel like, and there's no way to guess the next time they'll be available. They're regularly out of stock for months.

Have you tried DiscountTire online, or Joe at Tire Shoppe (he's in PA or Ohio iirc), or ebay ? I've sometimes found stock at those sources when none is available elsewhere.
I agree, fabulous DE tire and value! $980 for a full set in 275 and 245/35/18 and the performance is pretty darn good. I run them in the low 1:28's in the Boxster at NJMP. Unfortunately lesson learned and if I want to continue to run them I will do a bulk order for the year when they come back in. The C91 compound is available but that obviously doesn't work on my car.

Tried Discount tire and EBay, no luck, I will try the Tire Shoppe.

Thanks very much for the input, very much appreciated!!
-Paul
Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile Feel the burn..

Hankook has been pulling this stunt for years. As was mentioned, you need to by a seasons worth of tires at the beginning of the year, or whenever their tires are available. For me, it's not worth the hassle. I am back on the Hoosier "crack". They are not cheap, but the value is there.

And of course I had the inside tire cording issue...thought it was alignment? Put on a set of Nitto NT-01s, no problems...had the alignment checked, it was right on. No more Hancrocks for me.

Last edited by Martin S.; 05-17-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

OP, The cording you experienced has shown up with at least 3 other local people including myself. I think all were inside left rear.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:25 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
OP, The cording you experienced has shown up with at least 3 other local people including myself. I think all were inside left rear.
That is an inside left rear on mine as well Bill... Interesting. The outside of the rear left just peeled away. Tire was from 11th week of 2016. Tough to make it a go to tire when you can't get them and more importantly you start to doubt them...
Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Agree about the availability issue, but you were running a C91 compound ?? That's a very very soft tire, not surprised it didn't last. I've seen guys use the 71 compound, and that's usually toast by the end of a day of track driving. Meant more for autoX.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by linzman
Agree about the availability issue, but you were running a C91 compound ?? That's a very very soft tire, not surprised it didn't last. I've seen guys use the 71 compound, and that's usually toast by the end of a day of track driving. Meant more for autoX.
I was only running the 91 because I couldn't find a 51 or 71... It is clearly a one session qualifying tire on my car if I ever progress to the point where I need qualifying tires
Old 05-17-2017, 10:11 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is the C91 is an ultra soft compound and works well in cold weather but not in May in NJ.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

For DE's?

Don't they make Michelin or Pirelli Slicks in that size?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hankook out of Ventus Z214's in 275/35/18?