Sponsored by:

Spanish Grand Prix - Spoiler Alert

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts
Default Spanish Grand Prix - Spoiler Alert

Pretty good race. Vettel's pass on Hamilton was about as good as it gets. All for naught in the end but exciting stuff.

Kimi Raikkonen (or whoever did the legwork) tracking down the crying kid from the stands and getting him face time with his hero was priceless. Signs of a new way of thinking are clearly evident in F1.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:22 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Pretty good race. Vettel's pass on Hamilton was about as good as it gets. All for naught in the end but exciting stuff.

Kimi Raikkonen (or whoever did the legwork) tracking down the crying kid from the stands and getting him face time with his hero was priceless. Signs of a new way of thinking are clearly evident in F1.
Agreed....Liberty Media is already taking steps to make things more fan-friendly like freer access to the drivers. Cool.

Oh yeah, the race was very entertaining too for both strategy and sheer driving

Gary
Old 05-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Yup, pretty good race. Kimi almost looked like he smiled with that kid.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:14 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Will Buxton howling in the two seater was pretty entertaining too. The kid meeting Kimi was priceless. Also, great race on track and strategy wise.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:32 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
Will Buxton howling in the two seater was pretty entertaining too.
Normally he annoys the hell out of me but I gotta admit that WAS pretty funny

Gary
Old 05-14-2017, 10:09 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Now they started it. Every time someone crashes out of a race 300 kids will start crying hoping to get personal attention. Heck I might even try it to get to meet Vettel!

I think the drive of the race was Wehrlein. Holy crap what a result. I hope Mercedes is raising an eyebrow over that.

Didn't think that Ferrari had the right strategy. I think they came in too early. We finally got to see a head to head battle between Vettel and Hamster. That was fun but a bit short lived.

Looking forward to Monaco!
Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe

I think the drive of the race was Wehrlein. Holy crap what a result. I hope Mercedes is raising an eyebrow over that.
Thought I was dreaming when I heard them say SV has signed a contract with Mercedes?
Old 05-15-2017, 03:18 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Yup, pretty good race. Kimi almost looked like he smiled with that kid.
When I first saw Kimi with the kid, I was holding my breath!! But he actually went to the edge of a smile...!!

Wouldn't it have been funny if Kimi tried to move the kid for a better angle, and the kid said, "Leave me alone! I know what I'm doing!"
Old 05-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by johneecatt
When I first saw Kimi with the kid, I was holding my breath!! But he actually went to the edge of a smile...!!

Wouldn't it have been funny if Kimi tried to move the kid for a better angle, and the kid said, "Leave me alone! I know what I'm doing!"
if a kid did that, he would be a future WDC.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:24 PM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Buxton sounds like he wants to propose to Hamilton any time now, Jesus, tone it down dude. Yes Hammy has great talent, but I wonder how many wins without the the Merc dominance over the past few years? Hamilton's greatest talent is knowing what team to move to and when to move, that's priceless, right Fernando?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Awesome race.

Wonder how many people will tune into Indy 500 instead of Monaco?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Awesome race.

Wonder how many people will tune into Indy 500 instead of Monaco?
No need to tune out. They are not on at the same time. Monaco in the morning, Indy in the afternoon. Also, normally I skip the Indy 500 as I find that race a tad boring. But I will be tuning in this year because of Alonso's participation. However you know what race interests me the most on that weekend? The 24 Hours of Nurburgring. Now the Indy race does not conflict with the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, but Monaco does as this epic endurance race ends around the same time Monaco starts.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:33 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Didn't think that Ferrari had the right strategy.
IMHO the big mistake Ferrari made was not pitting under the VSC. Vettel kept wondering where that 8 seconds went... 8 seconds is the difference between pitting under green vs. under VSC. They were clearly close to the window as they came in one lap after the VSC period ended I think.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I loved the start where Vettel outstarted Hamilton to beat him to T1. Woohoo. When Vettle came out of the pits just a second ahead of Hammy after pitting, I was ecstatic and was hoping to finally see these 2 guys one another race on an open track.

Unfortunately it was short lived as the Merc had a huge top speed advantage and he passed Seb on the front straight like he was standing still after just a couple of laps.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:04 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
IMHO the big mistake Ferrari made was not pitting under the VSC. Vettel kept wondering where that 8 seconds went... 8 seconds is the difference between pitting under green vs. under VSC. They were clearly close to the window as they came in one lap after the VSC period ended I think.
Vettel also lost appx. 4 seconds behind Bottas who was over slowing in the slow corners and then taking off. IMO, Bottas was the sacrificial lamb and they left him out there to slow Vettel when Mercedes saw that he was WAY behind both HAM and VET. The new spec Power Unit HAM was running is way more powerful than the old spec Bottas was running and the gap shows it.

Quick Reply: Spanish Grand Prix - Spoiler Alert