PCA E Class Rules Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts
Default PCA E Class Rules Clarification

Hi all,

I'm getting my car sorted for E class (1986 3.2 Carrera). I had two questions regarding the rules and trying to get some answers. Appreciate any feedback from experienced racers on these topics.

1. Spacers. How big is too big? Is 21mm-25mm allowed or not? Rule is pretty vague. Below is from the rule book.
17. The use of overly wide spacers which place higher than normal vertical loads on spindles and bearings is a safety hazard and will, therefore, not be allowed.

2. Chips. Are chips allowed or not if the redline is kept the same as stock? I see confusing statements and I'm not sure what to do.
First mention of chips...
Chips are free in pre‐OBDII cars, so long as the stock rev limit, and boost control on turbocharged engines, is retained.
Electronic fuel injection must retain stock ECU and KLR chip (if applicable), and the OBDII flash may not be altered.
1984 through 1989 911 Carreras may use any ECU/DME native to US 911 Carreras during those model years.

Second...
Exhaust system is free providing the engine meets any local noise limit requirements. On turbocharged cars, the
manifold and other exhaust piping between the exit of the port on the head and the entrance to the stock
turbocharger is part of the exhaust system. All components which serve only to control emissions may be removed,
and cars are not required to meet emissions standards, but this does not permit altering electronic programming
where chips, flashes, or ECUs must remain stock other than to remove an emissions related CEL
Old 05-07-2017, 07:39 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Chips are free in pre OBD 2 vehicles, but you must retain the stock rev limit.

With proper length studs 21-25mm are legal and allowed. I think the wording was meant to apply to spacers that have their own studs. It probably need to be reworded.

Early 944's came with 21mm spacers on the rear from the factory.

Good luck with your build and welcome to E class.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Thanks! very helpful.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock rev limit for a 3.2 E car is 6520. And the scrutineers will eventually check it.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:43 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Two more questions.... Sorry new to all of this and trying to do everything by the book.

1. Turbo tie rods - allowed or not?

2. Weight - My car weighs 2545 lbs with me in it which mean i need a 235 lb ballast. What do you guys do in regards to that? Where can one find a ballast that big? How do you attach it to the body?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:27 AM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Guys any advice of the turbo tie rods question? I've emailed Walt twice and no response. At a bit of a loss here. I have them currently in the car and need to know if i need to replace them.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

That's a good amount of weight, why is the car so light.

Go to a local metal shop and get some plates cut, use 2 Giant bots and big washers to distribute the weight in the passenger floor is what most do.

You have your spare tire still in? Leave that in, it's technically structural and I have pictures that can help prove that unfortunately

Walt has been on travel for vir club race so I'm gonna say just be patient.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:59 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT

Go to a local metal shop and get some plates cut, use 2 Giant bots and big washers to distribute the weight in the passenger floor is what most do.

You have your spare tire still in? Leave that in, it's technically structural and I have pictures that can help prove that unfortunately

And get it corner balanced afterwards
Old 06-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Turbo tie rods are legal. Everyone I know with a 3.2 Carrera or SC has put them on. Even on street cars.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I no longer have the spare unfortunately but I have the weight problem figured out... I think. Car had a race battery so I put a normal battery in. Seat brace was another 10-15lb which left me with about 200 lbs underweight. I got two 100lbs lifting weight plates that I plan on putting in the passenger side floor. Plan on making a few holes and using a plate from underneath to spread the load.

Turbo tie rods are the main question now. I also need to figure if my IROC wing is ok for the 3.2 Carreras in E. trying to avoid being bumped to F if possible. I have a spare ducktail if need be that I can swap in.

Originally Posted by Der ABT

Old 06-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Much appreciated for clarifying Mark

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Turbo tie rods are legal. Everyone I know with a 3.2 Carrera or SC has put them on. Even on street cars.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Iroc tail is just fine, airplane looking but many run them

Any pics of car
Old 06-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Also IROC tails are OK. Lots of E cars running those as well.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:40 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
Two more questions.... Sorry new to all of this and trying to do everything by the book.

1. Turbo tie rods - allowed or not?

2. Weight - My car weighs 2545 lbs with me in it which mean i need a 235 lb ballast. What do you guys do in regards to that? Where can one find a ballast that big? How do you attach it to the body?
Turbo tie rods ok. Iroc tail is allowed and what you want. Get 15 inch wheels (8in front 9in rear).
Old 06-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Not the prettiest but a decent car. Suspension is on stock shocks, bigger torsion bars and monoballs. Has been very reliable past two and half years of my ownership. Starts and runs every single time.

The airplane looking tail LOL... Mark, OG Racing stickers to boot on the trailer. Sorry for the crappy pics.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: PCA E Class Rules Clarification