Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet with Comms

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I spoke to HMS today (20min from my office is convenient to try things on/out) on the topic.
2 options.
1)Add speakers and a mic to my cheap helmet; then some adapters to go to new/old Chatterbox and Stilo intercoms. Total around $200. Unfortunately, looking at my helmet (Zamp FSA-2), the speakers would need to mount right where the chin strap mounts are - not sure how to do this. Otherwise, the speakers would be too far from my ears. Moreover, the boom mic seems to require a little nut and bolt to mount - concerned with the bolt protrusion, but I guess I could cut off the excess and protect with epoxy.

2)Buy a nice helmet. Get a Stilo ST5 composite with radio setup and cable to go to Stilo or Chatterbox (Old and New). Roughly $1k.

3)Explore the Roux option for half the Stilo cost, but no nearby dealers.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I just got the Stilo Composite with built in electronics and the sound is incredible compared to a chatterbox remote. Highly recommend.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

If I were to purchase the IMSA 4C STYLE HELMET KIT - 8IN STRAIGHT CABLE as listed, it uses a pair of earbuds available separately. If I already have a pair of good custom in ear monitors, can I use this with the refernced helmet kit?

I notice mono wiring on earbuds intended for this kit, and my earbuds use a 3.5mm iphone connector which is wired a bit differently. I assume without an adapter, I may cause a short on one channel, but could get/make an adapter as long as the levels are the same.

I'd like to use my own monitors as that will save me $100-200 on another set of customs just for the helmet.

Anyone able to shed some light on this possibility?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

That would work if the communicator has an IMSA hookup. This is what most racers use for their radio connector. Just be careful installing it, if it's a SA2015 helmet, you're not supposed to drill any new holes in it. As for the mono/stereo headphone thing, you should be able to find an adapter on ebay for $5-10 that will transmit the mono signal to both earpieces. I've done that in the past. Just one more connection, but it works.

Might not work if you have a mic on that earphone as well.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:43 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I ended up taking the lowest cost approach with my current helmet.

I bought a Stilo WRC Emergency Wiring kit
https://stilo-usa.com/products/intercom-wiring#3033

I was able to slip the speakers into the cheek pads of the helmet so they align with my ear canals. The mic stuck to the padding on front inside of the helmet. I used some velcro to stick the connector to the outside of the helmet when not in use.

Since the Wiring kit is a native Stilo connector, that takes care of Stilo Intercoms. I then bought a Stilo to Chatterbox cable (3.5mm) and a Chatterbox New (3.5) to old connector adapter. Total cost about $160.

I'll provide feedback from the field.

db
Old 05-16-2017, 07:46 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Stilo comes through again. Good stuff.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:18 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought a Stilo ST5 composite with electronics. Great helmet and when one considers the price of adding electronics to another helmet, this helmet makes a case for great value...

Quick Reply: Helmet with Comms