Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing: Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Brake Kit for the 987 Boxster/Cayman!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:20 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
Any idea if this type of kit will be available for the Cayman GT4? I figured running a more compact caliper could facilitate the use of 18" wheels. For reference the Cayman GT4 club sport runs 18" wheels due to the caliper.
We unfortunately don't have the proper components in our parts bin to create a kit like this for the GT4. There are numerous reasons why that is the case.

We do want to design a similar kit for the 981 Cayman/Boxster S and 718 Cayman/Boxster. If anybody has a 981 or 718 that we could measure, please contact me asap! Thank you very much!
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 07-01-2017, 12:36 AM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these brakes on my corvette and they are truly the baddest out there. I have a video of me passing a Miata that is hard on brakes while I'm still full throttle. At that moment there was probably a 35mph speed differential and I had an extra 1000lbs to slow down - no problem. I have never had the slightest bit of trouble with the brakes. They are a work of art too.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:02 AM
paradoxical3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run this kit on my BMW M2 and it's incredible. I just actually got my rear kit in today (fronts have been on a couple of months). I made the jump mainly to reduce fade and decrease consumable cost, but I have been shocked by the difference in pedal feel and consistency. It is truly on an entirely different level. And once you see them in person you will be blown away by the quality and design work that went into these.

One tip - if you plan on driving these on the street, make sure you order the anti-rattle clips. As do all motorsport oriented brake kits, these make some noise otherwise.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:55 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Thank you very much for the purchase, and for the kind words! I believe you're going to be thrilled with our system's performance.

Could you do us a favor and please post the details on your Forgelines? What are the precise specifications including offset (for example: Forgeline GA3R 18x9 +35.)?

Also, what model year is your car/OEM 19's? I'll add both sets of wheels to our wheel fitment database.

Thanks again, and let us know if any questions arise during install.
Any updates you can share regarding the wheel fitment database?

I'm considering the bbs from bgb

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:44 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed these on my 2010 987.2 PDK race car. The install was very easy and straight forward...take off the old pads, take off the caliper, disconnect the lines, take off the adapters, take off the rotor and reverse with the new AP brakes.

The caliper is a work of art and is much lighter than my 6 piston stop techs. The bridge is very robust but super easy to take off/on.

The brakes were fantastic at Mid Ohio this past weekend running GTS-4 with NASA. Repeated 140 to 60 stops were no problem. Absolutely no fade or soft pedal no matter how hard I beat on them. I can tell you I never got beat in a brake zone all weekend and was able to fully brake with the 887 cup cars.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:48 AM
gman3280
Pro

Originally Posted by mikew968
I installed these on my 2010 987.2 PDK race car. The install was very easy and straight forward...take off the old pads, take off the caliper, disconnect the lines, take off the adapters, take off the rotor and reverse with the new AP brakes.

The caliper is a work of art and is much lighter than my 6 piston stop techs. The bridge is very robust but super easy to take off/on.

The brakes were fantastic at Mid Ohio this past weekend running GTS-4 with NASA. Repeated 140 to 60 stops were no problem. Absolutely no fade or soft pedal no matter how hard I beat on them. I can tell you I never got beat in a brake zone all weekend and was able to fully brake with the 887 cup cars.
Awesome review! What wheels are you using?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gman3280
Any updates you can share regarding the wheel fitment database?

I'm considering the bbs from bgb

Thanks!
For those of you considering one of our brake kits, we offer downloadable fitment templates for every competition kit we offer.

When you're looking at a specific kit on our website, there's a tab below the blue "Add to Cart" button labeled "Wheel Fitment & Installation" (I have it circled red in the picture below). Click on that black box, it will turn red, and you'll see a blue hyperlink to the "Wheel Fitment Template." When you print the template, just check one of the dimensions on the paper with a ruler to ensure that it printed to scale (printers love to resize things). Cut it out, place it in the wheel, and you'll know if it will clear or approximately how big of a spacer you would need. Pro tip: if you want to make checking the template even easier, glue it to a piece of cardboard before cutting it out!

Many of our customers simply forward these along to their wheel seller, and the wheel seller checks fitment for them. If they aren't willing to do that for you on a $4-$6k set of wheels, you should probably consider a different wheel seller!

To make it even easier, here are links to the one for the 987:

Front CP9661/355mm wheel fitment template

Rear CP9451/340mm wheel fitment template

Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all of the kind words gents. I think people will be pleasantly shocked when they see our kit vs. what else is out there!

Originally Posted by mikew968

Great news! I'm glad our system performed as expected. Please post some pics if you could! Thanks.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:56 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I put these on my E46-M3 race car (6 Piston-F 4Piston-R)... This was probably the best mod I've done on the car. First off, BMW Brakes Suck. But I'm also very familiar with Porsche Brakes and have PCCB on my RS, etc. The pedal feel of the AP Racing is incredible. Absolutely NO fade and they give you 100% confidence. Now I can brake, and even out brake Porsches..

I had AP Racing brakes (4piston) on my old E36 M3 race car and I can attest that the rotors last forever... I'm expecting the same on this set-up.

Great guys to work with too...
Attached Images   
Old 08-30-2017, 03:23 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 007DT
I put these on my E46-M3 race car (6 Piston-F 4Piston-R)... This was probably the best mod I've done on the car. First off, BMW Brakes Suck. But I'm also very familiar with Porsche Brakes and have PCCB on my RS, etc. The pedal feel of the AP Racing is incredible. Absolutely NO fade and they give you 100% confidence. Now I can brake, and even out brake Porsches..

I had AP Racing brakes (4piston) on my old E36 M3 race car and I can attest that the rotors last forever... I'm expecting the same on this set-up.

Great guys to work with too...
Awesome! Thanks so much for the kind words and nice review, and we're glad you're enjoying your brakes so much! We really appreciate your continued support.

ps I love the orange/black theme, and great avatar!
Old 08-31-2017, 11:53 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

FYI...our rear kits are now in stock and shipping!

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...9451-34028-987

Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I run forgeline wheels on my 987.2. running the Pirelli 265-645 and 305-645 slicks.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Artwork!

I wish their was a set for 986 Boxster.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:14 PM
gman3280
Pro

How are people liking these BBKs? Any thoughts on running the A/P kit up front and the giro disc kit in the rear of a 987 cayman?
Old 01-29-2018, 03:16 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gman3280
How are people liking these BBKs? Any thoughts on running the A/P kit up front and the giro disc kit in the rear of a 987 cayman?
There aren't a ton of Porsches out there yet with our kit on it, but we have a great deal of customer feedback on our blog on other platforms that use the same components:
https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog

Running our front kit with Girodisc rear replacement discs wouldn't present any issues at all. We always tell people that the front BBK is the most important/best bang-for-the-buck, as the front brakes tend to take the bulk of the abuse on track. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Introducing: Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Brake Kit for the 987 Boxster/Cayman!