Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buttonwillow #13 CW, a piece of cake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Buttonwillow #13 CW, a piece of cake?

Not for me, and 4 other drivers in my NASA class, TT4, with a HP to weight ration of 12:00.1

I believe the first two (2) cars in TT4 were DQ'd for what ever reason. So first place was a 2:00.978, second place, 2:01.335, and me in 3rd place at 2:02.115, that's a decent spread..less than 1.2 seconds between me and the class winner. I am determined to break 2:00, by any (legal) means necessary. In addition to the obvious thing, improve my driving, I am going to take a little weight out of the car...never driving at grid with more than 3/8 of a tank of gas and

My car comes in at about 12.45, need to take a little weight out, getting to the class minimum weight for my car based on 257 HP to the rear wheels. So 12 X 257 = 3,084 with driver and a splash of fuel. I recall my car with me in it and a splash of fuel, weighs in at about 3,200...so I can lose 116 Lbs, that will help.

On #3 session on Saturday, I turned a 2:02.115....much better than my last event where my best was a 2:05.XXX I will be looking at the AiM SOLO DL data with my AiM Coach this afternoon and we'll see where future improvements may be had. On my 2:05.XXX former best lap, I had a theoretical 2:02, assuming all my best splits were put together. It will be really interesting to see what my theoretical bast lap was in the 2:02.115 session.

The theoretical lab "results" serve to inspire me to push myself for the next track trip, and to strive for consistency, doing the right things, right.

Over the next few months, we (The car and I) are going on a diet removing:
1.) X Lbs of personal body fat, maybe 40 lbs (I could use it!)
2.) Lower dash cap to include glove compartment, ash tray and passenger air bag,
3.) Replace stock door panels with HiFi speakers with 993 RS door panels, no speakers.
4.) May go back to the 993 RS package tray, no speakers,
5.) Pull out the radio.

I am not going to extract the power steering, air or sun roof. These seem too drastic for me....and I love my power steering, and air conditioning comes in handy waiting on a hot grid, preparing to go on track.

In conclusion, BW is a great track for lighter, lower HP cars, on my opinion. Tracks such as Willow Springs, the heavier higher HP cars seem to do well..that long front straight helps the heavier cars assuming they get a good exit out of turn 9.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Like most tracks that are fairly technical, the more you run it, the better you will get. new tires, drop some weight and that lower 2min range will be achievable. i remember when i started racing with my car, very old technology even in the day, did pretty well out there with only 242rwhp and 3200lbs. (low 2mins too #13) with all the tweaks for your car, and some weight drop,im sure you will get to that level soon! and yes, all my competitors were the BMWs e30s and e36s that were lighter and slightly less HP. with the bus stop, its a very technical handling track. without it, straight line power to weight can help more
Old 04-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Good points...Thanks

And very encouraging. At 1PM today, I go ver my AiM results..I can hardly wait!!!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
And very encouraging. At 1PM today, I go ver my AiM results..I can hardly wait!!!
Awesome.... love to see the data! i wish i could cobble together something greater than just video vs time for mine!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile AiM Meeting

Met with my AiM coach today to review last weekends data...amazing how easy Race Studio 2 appears to be when one knows what they are doing. He does, I don't.

Verdict, my 2:02.115, my PB on BW CW #13, came about because I carried more speed through Riverside, and more speed through the bypass into the "S" turns.

Linking the best splits together, my theoretical best time could have been a 2:00.000 flat...so there is hope for me to bust my personal 2:00 barrier.

I also cranked the wing up to -9.0 degrees in one test session. It did not affect my top speed through Riverside...it did make me feel more confident. Ironically, when I do Riverside CCW, it seems so much easier..go figure.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 PM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What tires and suspension setup are you running? I was in the HPDE group 1 on Sat and it was a blast!
Old 04-26-2017, 02:09 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

I run a 1997 993 Carrera narrow body with Hoosier R7 tires and have a MCS 3 way suspension, along with 993 RS sway bars as well as lots of ERP links in the rear suspension. Suspension is trick.

This was my first NASA event. I agree, it was indeed a blast. I was very pleased with the conduct of my fellow drivers in TT4....point by (s) were in plentiful supply as needed.

I can't make the May NASA event in Fontana (Don't like Fontana and it's too far for me), but I will be signing up for the June 24/25 event at Buttonwillow.

I hope you can make the event...drop by and say hello..I will be renting a garage, garage # to be determined.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Great! I'm planning to do both days at Buttonwillow in June. See you there!

Quick Reply: Buttonwillow #13 CW, a piece of cake?