Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from Racing to 4 Wheeling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going from Racing to 4 Wheeling?

After going broke racing at progressively faster levels the last 10 years, I am thinking of doing something different. I am already bicycling more, which is good, but does not quite scratch the adrenaline/pure fun itch. I am thinking of going 4 wheeling for a literal change of pace.

I live in Illinios, but there are some 4 wheel parks, and the Silver State Dunes fairly close.

Used Jeep Wrangers seem ridiculously expensive, but bare bones manual tans new ones can be had for around $24K if I want to go the "dual purpose" route.

Getting a K5 Blazer from a salt free state and dropping in the LS3 from the racecar also sounds interesting for a dedicated project. Or maybe just a beater XJ - those are cheap.

Anyone gone down this path from racing to wheeling?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:32 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar project, building my 95 LWB Rover classic for a Moab, Camping and winter. There is a guy on DefenderSource has a kit for the Ls3 and 6l80e trans for Defenders and Classic Land Rovers. If you start with a rover instead of a defender cost is pretty low.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:31 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Me too! Last September I bought a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon.

Coming up on April 29th is a joint PCA NoVaJeepers event where the Jeep guys take Cayenne owners up and back down a mountain. Very excited for this.

If you are in the DC area sign up!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ve-dine-821890
Old 04-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds very cool. Cayennes are pretty capable offroad as well. If there were more time, I might even make the trip out east. I'll have to look if there are other events like this later on.

One big advantage of owing a Jeep is the wide range of club events - they rival the PCA for organization.

Rubicons are very cool, and capable from the factory. They are expensive, but hold their value amazingly well - maybe not such a bad investment?

The Rover LS3 conversion sounds cool, too. I'm not sure if the wife is up for another project, but I already have a nice LS3....
Old 04-16-2017, 01:38 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 2017 manual 1941 Anniversary Jeep. Around here manuals are few/ hard to find. Mine discounted heavily in part due to trans. To make it moderately capable off-road I've priced out 5/k in upgrades, lift, tires, wheels, shocks upgraded skids. My insurance agent pointed out when I added it to my policy that off-road mishaps aren't covered. In our area, N GA, off-roading is big. Rock climbing & "fire roads" mostly. So, as far as cost savings, I think it's pretty close to a wash over my SP2 car assuming I don't wad the car up. There's a local 944 race shop owner who also builds off road specific but street legal Jeeps from donors but that did not work for me as my wife uses the Jeep on occasion when showing mountain property for sale in the GA mountains.

Last edited by chrisc; 04-16-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:37 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Haven't dunnit but would seem to mis the need for speed box!!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:21 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
After going broke racing at progressively faster levels the last 10 years, I am thinking of doing something different. I am already bicycling more, which is good, but does not quite scratch the adrenaline/pure fun itch. I am thinking of going 4 wheeling for a literal change of pace.

I live in Illinios, but there are some 4 wheel parks, and the Silver State Dunes fairly close.

Used Jeep Wrangers seem ridiculously expensive, but bare bones manual tans new ones can be had for around $24K if I want to go the "dual purpose" route.

Getting a K5 Blazer from a salt free state and dropping in the LS3 from the racecar also sounds interesting for a dedicated project. Or maybe just a beater XJ - those are cheap.

Anyone gone down this path from racing to wheeling?
I love 4 wheeling, or perhaps over landing is a better term. Out West there is so much public land, just about any National Forest or BLM land is open. I look at Google earth or Topo maps, find an interesting spot, and try to get there. Similar to racing in that it often requires technical driving, feeling the vehicle at limits of adhesion, weight balance, monitoring the vehicle at the edge of its performance envelope, etc. And trying to make it back home in one piece with just the gear, tools, and extras you brung.

Also similar to sailing/open water boating with the navigational aspect and that you are entirely self reliant. If you get in trouble, there may be not anyone around to help or even be able to contact. There have certainly been situations where I've felt a level of adrenaline similar to the track.

Last edited by jayzbird; 04-17-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:12 AM
R717
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I'm going the opposite direction - I can assure you that the off-road hobby is definitely a blast. IMO one of the primary skills from your track days that you will assimilate immediately is awareness of where your vehicle is - e.g. putting the right front tire in an exact spot, and being able to visualize exactly where the vehicle is and predicting how it will react to your inputs when you get into precarious positions.

As others have already said, one of the best parts of the hobby is the variety of clubs that run everything from full fledged mountain-climb jamborees to just meeting up for a relaxed 1/2 day trail drive. I've found most of the jeep guys I met up with were also DIY guys - pretty much a necessity when you realize you may go out on a trail, break something and need to figure out a way to get home.

As far as costs - IMO if you go the wrangler or XJ route, and stay away from the "hardcore" forums on pirate4x4, you'll be pleasantly surprised with the costs compared to racing p-cars. You can take a stock CJ, wrangler, or xj and do about 60% of trails out there with nothing more than decent tires, some reliability upgrades, and a good outfit of recovery gear.

My CJ after I put an OME lift on it:

And a run in the desert
Attached Images   
Old 04-20-2017, 04:55 PM
R717
Intermediate

Although I'm going in the opposite direction, there is a lot to be said for the off-road hobby.

As long as you stay away from the "hardcore" forums on pirate4x4, a wrangler or XJ will leave you happy as far as costs go. Don't overlook the XJ, they are arguably among the most capable "out of the box" off-road platforms out there. From what I've seen, a CJ, wrangler, or XJ with decent tires, a few reliability upgrades, and basic recovery gear can run about 60% of trails out there. This means you can get out there right away and upgrade as you progress to harder trails.

I would think your experience on track would translate in a few ways, primarily awareness of where the vehicles is, and how it will react to certain inputs - e.g. you can put the front passenger tire right on top of that boulder, and know what is happening when you feel one side getting light.

As some of the previous posts state, you definitely can get an adrenaline rush from the realization that you are on your own for getting your rig back home at the end of the day. You'll find many of us jeepers are DIY types because of this.

Last edited by R717; 04-20-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:02 AM
zadar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about Jeep but realized I need something that moves little faster. Ended with SxS.
It helps I live bordering BLM so I just drive out of the garage.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You sound a little like me, I just never got rid of the racing thing though. The offroaders are more of an adventure thing, bird hunting in the fall with a little regional exploration. Mountain biking with the race/track group of guys gets pretty competitive too.

Recent fleet addtions
'74 Landcruiser
'16 TRD 4Runner

Plus the Yeti/Colnago bikes
Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a 2015 Wrangler a year and a half ago, would like to do some mild off roading but not too much around here. Keep thinking of putting a 2 1/2-3in lift on it and some nicer bumpers as the customization of these thing are endless.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:08 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

As a skier and a fishermen I have though about going offroad too. I got a jeep buddy who teaches how to jeep out in the middle of nowhere and come back alive. He says I can do 80% of what a jeep can do in my 2500 diesel PU truck that I tow my racecar with. I find that hard to believe but I can't dispute it. One day soon I will take lessons from him and get dirty.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:25 AM
R717
Intermediate

[QUOTE=fatbillybob;14128468] He says I can do 80% of what a jeep can do in my 2500 diesel PU truck that I tow my racecar with. [\QUOTE]

True as long you don't mind scratches from errant tree branches and/or rocks.
Disasterman, that's an enviable fj40. Not to get too far off topic but here is my CJ with yj lift springs

Quick Reply: Going from Racing to 4 Wheeling?