Sponsored by:

Traqmate or Aim Solo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:55 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Traqmate or Aim Solo?

So I run with NASA and PCA. I have a transponder for NASA but nothing for PCA.

Rather than go out and think "Well, that lap felt good". I think it's time to get some way to time myself.

What are the pros/cons of each system? Can they grab data from the car somehow and also add video?

Predictive lap times?

I'd like something removable as well so I can take it from car to car...

Tia!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:06 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I would say Aim Solo, only because Traqmate is a dead product that is no longer produced so getting one means buying a second hand one from someone. Also, there are some inherent bugs in the Traqmate system that will not be overcome now that they no longer make it.

I am a current Traqmate user and looking to move to Aim products because of these reasons.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:06 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 114 Posts

Traqmate is good, but they're out of business.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

The Traqmate systems aren't produced anymore, so they have that against them. You would have to buy a used system.

The AiM Solo is nice because the data from it is standardized across all AiM devices. That means you can compare your Solo data against someone with a Solo, Solo DL, MXL Pista, MXL2, MXS, MXG, Evo 4, Evo4s, Evo5, or any of the legacy kart systems that were used in cars over the years.

In my opinion, the analysis software (Race Studio 2 Analysis) is also far superior to the Traqmate software. The learning curve might be slightly steeper, but you can do far more with it. The support to learn RS2 is also amazing with AiM's Youtube Channel, Vimeo Channel, and lots of user videos. You also have a ton of support from people here on Rennlist.

Portability of the Solo is also better. With the RAM suction mount, it's simply stick on and flip a lever to move it from car to car.

If you are interested in a unit, I have them in stock, ready to go. I also offer Rennlist discounts (no need to be an instructor or anything else special).

Last edited by Matt Romanowski; 03-29-2017 at 04:09 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 03-29-2017, 04:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I sell a lot of AiM (as well as VBOX, MoTeC and Race-Keeper) and I sold Traqmate for more than a decade.

Traqmate is simpler both in hardware and in software than the others. The used units you may find are going to work well for a long time. You can RPM but little else.

The AiM Solo is a great all in one package. But no data inputs, at all.

The Traqmate can be installed in about 90 seconds with some velcro. The AiM in 30 seconds with the RAM Suction Cup mount.

YOu'd be better off with either one, but the AiM Solo is more futureproof.

NO information comes off your car, it's too old, unless you get an EVO4/EVO4S or AiM display logger.

I have a used Traqmate Basic with a new HD2 Hero GoPro for $250. I have a full complement of AiM products in stock, as well. But to do video with AiM is going to cost six to seven times that...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Pro coach,

I'll send you a pm...
Old 03-29-2017, 05:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Ok, maybe not. Mobile app isn't cooperating. I'll ping you tomorrow evening when I get home
Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a traqmate for sale if you want
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Default Traqmate

mobile site is killing me. Can you pm me the details?
Old 03-29-2017, 11:53 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default This feature is critical...

"The AiM Solo is nice because the data from it is standardized across all AiM devices. That means you can compare your Solo data against someone with a Solo, Solo DL, MXL Pista, MXL2, MXS, MXG, Evo 4, Evo4s, Evo5, or any of the legacy kart systems that were used in cars over the years."

You also have Matt and Peter, Rennlist contributors, who just happen to be AiM Dealers. Peter is also a coach, and I believe Matt is one as well.

In addition, AiM's Race Studio software is constantly being upgraded. It's evolving, something we cannot say about TraqMate. Also, there are X number of AiM Race Studio users on Rennlist that are a resource...this may also be true of Traqmate...but sooner or later it will fade into oblivion.

Some of us have been known to upgrade within the AiM Product Line (Down grade too as in my case). If you know Race Studio, you can move right up to the next level of Data Logger and not have to relearn the Race Studio software. I had a MXL-2, went back to a AiM SOLO DL when I thought I was going to return the car to street condition. Man was that dumb...I kissed of the street conversion project and wish I had my MXL-2 back. I kept most of the sensors hard wired into the car, so going back to MXL-2 wont be that tough.

Lastly, the MXL 2, keeping in mind, list price for list price at $2,000, is $1,300 more than an AiM SOLO DL, but it's features such as color display, critical alarms and monitoring of oil temp, water temp, oil pressure make up for the price. I'll have another MXL 2 one of these days.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-complete.html
Old 03-30-2017, 05:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

For someone that DOESN'T have data (or video with the capability of putting information ON it), Traqmate, AiM, Race-Keeper, Race Technology and VBOX are all better than nothing...
Old 03-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
For someone that DOESN'T have data (or video with the capability of putting information ON it), Traqmate, AiM, Race-Keeper, Race Technology and VBOX are all better than nothing...
+911
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 PM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

Used and liked Traqmate for years but seem to be OOB, so went to AIM this year, you should have something, it really helps.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by docwyte
Pro coach,

I'll send you a pm...
Got it. Have responded.

Quick Reply: Traqmate or Aim Solo?