Sponsored by:

1st time at COTA

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 1st time at COTA

I got a free pass this weekend due to a friend's misfortune, now the research is on at a feverish pace
Would you mind replying with links to what you think are the best videos for the track? I'm really into AIM telemetry, but anything with telemetry would be very helpful. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

2:22 in my 35-year old vintage sports racer with 150 bhp.

2:21 with Billy Johnson in a GS Mustang.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9393...-in-a-gt4.html

Some videos in this thread. Also Trackjunkies.org has a pinned thread on COTA lap times with videos. Congrats on driving cota. I'll be there Sunday only- may get wet!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Thanks guys! Lots to absorb.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:25 AM
Berringer
Instructor

Procoach. Wow. That vintage car footage is magic.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:32 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Berringer
Procoach. Wow. That vintage car footage is magic.
Just wait til you meet Peter in person... Great guy!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 AM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be out there instructing. Assuming you bring the Cayman GTS, here are my lines in a GT4... should be similar.

Of note:

Use the whole track - it is huge. Use the curbing, also. Hit those apexes! Keep in mind, Harry's overlay labels the turns a bit early in my video below.

Turn 1 - uphill means you can brake very late, then start bringing in towards apex, then apex a bit late so you can point down the track and get on gas earlier. I try to hit the gas as I hit the apex. Turn 10 is similar.

Turn 2 - bring it in, then drift out left, then back to right so you can get straight across turn 3 into the braking zone for turn 4. No need to brake until turn 4.

Turn 6 - hit the apex, drift out to the left, then back in for second apex, then drift out a little between T6 and T7, then back right up to curbs to set yourself up for straighter shot up the hill across T7.

Turn 8 - slower than you think, patience, decrease your radius through the turn into the curbing so that you can late apex and then cut left to shoot yourself up the hill and get on gas sooner across T9.

Turn 10 - stay on gas, turn in before it a bit later than you may think, DO NOT LIFT over the crest, which unsettles the suspension. Better to turn in to T10 later, than earlier.

Turn 11 - like T1, similar line.

Turn 13 - get into the orange curbing, then drift out to the left, then back in to cut straight-ish line into braking zone for T15. A little late apex for T15 to get on gas sooner.

Turn 16 - from left, start turning in from the bridge, displace first apex, then drift out left (maintenance throttle - the camber reduces mid-corner), then cut back in and start applying throttle for apex at T18 and floor it across T18. Drift wide to left (not on curbing), then bring back in to the right to set up for T19.

Turn 19 - you can carry more speed than you think, and there's plenty of space to play wide between T19 and T20.

Turn 20 - patience, slow down more than you think until you get the hang of it, many cars spin here to the inside, get into that inner curbing for the apex, drift out.

Last edited by trebien; 03-29-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Good notes!

Originally Posted by trebien
I may be out there instructing. Assuming you bring the Cayman GTS, here are my lines in a GT4... should be similar.

Of note:

Use the whole track - it is huge. Use the curbing, also. Hit those apexes! Keep in mind, Harry's overlay labels the turns a bit early in my video below.

Turn 1 - uphill means you can brake very late, then start bringing in towards apex, then apex a bit late so you can point down the track and get on gas earlier. I try to hit the gas as I hit the apex. Turn 10 is similar.

Turn 2 - bring it in, then drift out left, then back to right so you can get straight across turn 3 into the braking zone for turn 4. No need to brake until turn 4.

Turn 6 - hit the apex, drift out to the left, then back in for second apex, then drift out a little between T6 and T7, then back right up to curbs to set yourself up for straighter shot up the hill across T7.

Turn 8 - slower than you think, patience, decrease your radius through the turn into the curbing so that you can late apex and then cut left to shoot yourself up the hill and get on gas sooner across T9.

Turn 10 - stay on gas, turn in before it a bit later than you may think, DO NOT LIFT over the crest, which unsettles the suspension. Better to turn in to T10 later, than earlier.

Turn 13 - get into the orange curbing, then drift out to the left, then back in to cut straight-ish line into braking zone for T15. A little late apex for T15 to get on gas sooner.

Turn 16 - from left, start turning in from the bridge, displace first apex, then drift out left (maintenance throttle - the camber reduces mid-corner), then cut back in and start applying throttle for apex at T18 and floor it across T18. Drift wide to left (not on curbing), then bring back in to the right to set up for T19.

Turn 19 - you can carry more speed than you think, and there's plenty of space to play wide between T19 and T20.

Turn 20 - patience, slow down more than you think until you get the hang of it, many cars spin here to the inside, get into that inner curbing for the apex, drift out.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:42 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's some shaky footage from my 997.1

Old 03-29-2017, 10:48 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

2:15 in my 996... aka 17 year old vintage racer with 475 hp

https://youtu.be/7kFRv9zsXAo
Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
2:15 in my 996... aka 17 year old vintage racer with 475 hp

https://youtu.be/7kFRv9zsXAo
That thing is wicked! What's the weight?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:08 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Cota is pretty straight forward honestly. turns 1, 11, 12 and 20 are essentially the same hairpin. Turn 2 is fun, many drivers over slow for the S's. I will lift before 3, no additional braking and back on the throttle between 4 and 5.

Turn 7 and turn 19 are similar turns, and where I gain a ton of ground, personally. So many drivers try to fight the car back to the right of the track before turning into these corners and they end up losing a lot of time. Both come off of fast right hand turns which put you far left track. Both 7 and 19 can be taken very fast and I generally will turn in anywhere between mid track and 1/3 from the right of the track for both corners.

Turn 7 has plenty of track out. Again, a lot of drivers try to fight the car back across the track for turn 8 and it isn't necessary in my experience. Let the car do what it wants and take a tight line around 8.

Turn 9 get all over the apex curbing. My car will get slidey on the exit occasionally as it falls off camber. Flat for turn 10.

The most challenging corners of the track for me to unlock were 13 and 14. Last time out I turned in later to 13 and immediately was on throttle to get the car to rotate for 14. Seemed to work for me. 16-18 you really only get close to the apex of 17 and let the car track all the way out. Lots of speed here, but it can also be daunting as you are turning towards a wall. Again, there is no need to fight the car back over to the far right of the track.

Turn 19 has a ton of grip right on the apex but falls off camber as you track out, which can be slightly un-settling. You just have to trust the car and be ready to catch a slide. My car likes to go into a 4-wheel slide on exit and places me right on the exit curbing.

Cota is a fun time, enjoy!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trebien

Of note:

Thanks Trebien! I hope to see you here. I'll be in the white Cayman GTS... right seaters always welcome!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:33 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
That thing is wicked! What's the weight?
car is around 2450 wet. 2700 ish with driver and half fuel.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Claykos! Claykos! Claykos!

Last edited by Berringer; 03-30-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st time at COTA