Sponsored by:

987 track build...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts
Default 987 track build...

Pretty excited... It's taken a good year and a half to get the car to this point but I am hoping there will be an addition to the PCA Club Racing family later this year... I don't have her back yet but should pick it up this week. Custom cage by JPC fabrication, Fire suppression system in, KMP quick release wheel is in, AiM dash is in, custom door panels done by JPC, nets are done, switch panel has replaced the PCM/Nav unit, electrical cutout is done, harnesses installed to spec and she is good on min weight... Maybe 40 pounds heavy after the cage is in but pretty close... Now to get it back on the track!

Old 03-26-2017, 03:49 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks sweet!
What are the specs? Will you be running it on slicks?
Old 03-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Congrats! PCA Stock I Spec?
Old 03-26-2017, 04:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Looks beautiful, Paul! Hats off to James and his crew, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
That looks sweet!
What are the specs? Will you be running it on slicks?
Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Congrats! PCA Stock I Spec?
Thanks Frank! Thanks ir!
Prepared I... Need to check with Geoff about aero still.

It's an 09 PDK ir... Yes to slicks 2009 Boxster S w/ Fabspeed Race Headers, Fabspeed Tracktec Exhaust, GT3 Master Cylinder, GT3 Brake Ducting, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Bodymotion Racing PDK Cooler

Old 03-26-2017, 04:15 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Looks beautiful, Paul! Hats off to James and his crew, too.
Thanks Peter,
The workmanship is absolutely phenomenal. Couldn't be happier or more excited to get it out on track where it belongs!

Thank you!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:11 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Nice build.

Take all the rubber molding off the doors and top of windshield/a-pillar/rocker/b-pillar.

You can also pull some trim/plastic/lower dash on the driver's side.

Sometimes there is extra structure behind the center console that can go.

Lastly, you may want to pull your HVAC system and simply use bilge fans for defog function.

All of the above will help towards your weight goal.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Nice build.

Take all the rubber molding off the doors and top of windshield/a-pillar/rocker/b-pillar.

You can also pull some trim/plastic/lower dash on the driver's side.

Sometimes there is extra structure behind the center console that can go.

Lastly, you may want to pull your HVAC system and simply use bilge fans for defog function.

All of the above will help towards your weight goal.
I will look at what else is left from trim/plastic. The whole reason I kept windows and door locks for that matter is open trailer... Nice to be able to lock it up in a hotel lot and trying to keep it as close to watertight as possible. Same with HVAC, thought about it but by the time I pulled it and dealt with putting back in something for defrost I decided I like my A/C when I am just sitting their staging in the 90 plus temps instead LOL. Again, a compromise Once I get her home I will look at your other suggestions, appreciate the tips!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:38 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ Gotcha. Didn't know you were using open trailer.

One other thing that may help - did JPC remove your factory door bars?
Old 03-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Thanks Frank! Thanks ir!
Prepared I... Need to check with Geoff about aero still.

It's an 09 PDK ir... Yes to slicks 2009 Boxster S w/ Fabspeed Race Headers, Fabspeed Tracktec Exhaust, GT3 Master Cylinder, GT3 Brake Ducting, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers, Bodymotion Racing PDK Cooler
Suggest you stick with "Stock I". If you make any "Prepared" modifications, it puts you into "Prepared J" which is dominated by the 996 GT3.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Suggest you stick with "Stock I". If you make any "Prepared" modifications, it puts you into "Prepared J" which is dominated by the 996 GT3.
Need to speak to you about this to better understand. Been reading the rule books and there are a few things I am still unsure of...

1. Engine:.
A. As delivered from factory. No modifications after the air filter box or before the exhaust headers. Mass flow sensor
may not be relocated. Modifications before the engine side of the air filter box (e.g., aftermarket air filters,
modification of the stock air filter cover, omitting the air filter element entirely, ducting air without making openings in
tub or bodywork) are allowed.
So forgive my ignorance but I read this as Air filter changes are ok, but what about the headers themselves? Plenum and Throttle Bodies must remain Stock as well?

B. Chips are free in pre‐OBDII cars, so long as the stock rev limit, and boost control on turbocharged engines, is retained.
Electronic fuel injection must retain stock ECU and KLR chip (if applicable), and the OBDII flash may not be altered.
So what does Chips are Free but OBDII Flash may not be altered mean? I understand the no ECU tune part, but what does the Chips are free part equate to?.

Those were my really big questions about Stock I. It looks like everything else I would be compliant. What tire options does that leave me? I am still trying to interpret everything to the letter....

So any changes and I go Prepared J not Prepared I. I am still learning, Geoff had suggested Prepared I. Otherwise I slot into 09-13 3.4L 987.2 in GTB1 and I already have my 100 pound PDK weight hit and don't need to have wing envy anymore LOL...

TY as always!!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Need to speak to you about this to better understand. Been reading the rule books and there are a few things I am still unsure of...

1. Engine:.

So forgive my ignorance but I read this as Air filter changes are ok, but what about the headers themselves? Plenum and Throttle Bodies must remain Stock as well?

So what does Chips are Free but OBDII Flash may not be altered mean? I understand the no ECU tune part, but what does the Chips are free part equate to?.

Those were my really big questions about Stock I. It looks like everything else I would be compliant. What tire options does that leave me? I am still trying to interpret everything to the letter....

So any changes and I go Prepared J not Prepared I. I am still learning, Geoff had suggested Prepared I.

TY as always!!
Your car would fall into Stock I where:

Exhaust system is free providing the engine meets any local noise limit requirements. .... All components which serve only to control emissions may be removed, and cars are not required to meet emissions standards, but this does not permit altering electronic programming where chips, flashes, or ECUs must remain stock other than to remove an emissions related CEL.
In essence, headers and exhaust are free. Cold air intake is free. ECU must remain stock - No flashes allowed. We are checking ECU flashes now at races. Plenum and throttle body most be stock. We check that frequently as well.

Any DOT (or its European equivalent) approved, nationally marketed, generally available tire which is allowed on public roads is allowed, even if it is a “road race version” and its manufacturer does not recommend its use on public highways. “V” or higher speed rated tires are required for all cars, except those for which “V” rated tires are not universally available. In all cases, the speed rating of the tire must be equal to or greater than the speed potential of the vehicle.
Tire wise, you can run Hoosier R7s or any other DOT "Race only" tire.

Any modifications beyond this, like non-stock aero, ECU flash, upgraded brakes, etc. would push you into Prepared J. IPD plenum with GT3 throttle body would push you into GT class.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Your car would fall into Stock I where:

In essence, headers and exhaust are free. Cold air intake is free. ECU must remain stock - No flashes allowed. We are checking ECU flashes now at races. Plenum and throttle body most be stock. We check that frequently as well.

Tire wise, you can run Hoosier R7s or any other DOT "Race only" tire.

Any modifications beyond this, like non-stock aero, ECU flash, upgraded brakes, etc. would push you into Prepared J. IPD plenum with GT3 throttle body would push you into GT class.
So 3 choices:
1. Back out ECU tune, Plenum and TB run Stock I (recommended)
2. Keep ECU, Back out Plenum and TB run Prepared J (Not recommended)
3. Go all in, keep ECU, Plenum and TB get a really big wing and run 09-13 3.4L 9872 GTB1 (Really Not recommended LOL)

So really, 1 choice but when I go through RennPoints it's funny, the lap times between the three are very very close or in some cases near identical.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

So 3 choices:
1. Back out ECU tune, Plenum and TB run Stock I (recommended)
2. Keep ECU, Back out Plenum and TB run Prepared J (Not recommended)
3. Go all in, keep ECU, Plenum and TB get a really big wing and run 09-13 3.4L 9872 GTB1 (Really Not recommended LOL)

So really, 1 choice but when I go through RennPoints it's funny, the lap times between the three are very very close or in some cases near identical.
LOL - not quite!! Plenum and TB are only legal in GT1, GT2, GT3 and only for the 987.1 Cayman in GTB1. Also, GTB1 is for Caymans and 997s only, no Boxsters.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

LOL - not quite!! Plenum and TB are only legal in GT1, GT2, GT3 and only for the 987.1 Cayman in GTB1. Also, GTB1 is for Caymans and 997s only, no Boxsters.
Haha, so 09-13 3.4L 987.2 in GTB1 is Cayman only so we are down to 2 and if the only difference is keep the ECU tune and go Prepared J or lose it and stay "I" then it's really not much to think about. Plenum and Throttle Body have to go regardless. So are the max HP #'s measured referenced in the rule books really just referencing the stock crank HP?

I will send you a check for PCA rule interpretation services tomorrow morning, thank you as always!!

Quick Reply: 987 track build...