Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided brake lines for Track Days ?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Braided brake lines for Track Days ?

Figure 30-50 track days per year.

Car: 2016 RS.

Cost with labor - $500

Is it worth it? This was ALWAYS an upgrade on my previous non-P cars.

Your thoughts?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 AM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of me says, it's a '16 RS, not sure you need this... Other part of me says, it's a $500 insurance policy, just do it anyway for a piece of mind.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:19 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Not needed.
Good fluid pads rotors.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:33 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

The way the calipers are on this car having the braided lines could simplify brake pad changes.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

No need. I think it's a hype.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The bad thing about braided brake lines is that they will not give you any warning prior to failure. On rubber lines there is normally swelling and you will start getting a soft peddle due to the swelling.
Not saying don't get them but be aware of the downsides also.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:23 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the cup cars have braided lines... so I'm sure the stock lines should be sufficient. Check periodically when changing tires, pads or rotors.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

There's two types of braided hoses. The most common replaces the rubber OEM hoses. Pros and cons here as mentioned earlier. I used them on my old car but am not using them now. There are also hoses that replace the rigid steel lines that usually connect the rubber hose to the caliper. I can see where these could be useful for changing pads on the newer "bridged" calipers. Some applications have reported rubbing.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:52 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
There's two types of braided hoses. The most common replaces the rubber OEM hoses. Pros and cons here as mentioned earlier. I used them on my old car but am not using them now. There are also hoses that replace the rigid steel lines that usually connect the rubber hose to the caliper. I can see where these could be useful for changing pads on the newer "bridged" calipers. Some applications have reported rubbing.
Originally Posted by ML///
I don't think the cup cars have braided lines... so I'm sure the stock lines should be sufficient. Check periodically when changing tires, pads or rotors.
Originally Posted by rlm328
The bad thing about braided brake lines is that they will not give you any warning prior to failure. On rubber lines there is normally swelling and you will start getting a soft peddle due to the swelling.
Not saying don't get them but be aware of the downsides also.
Originally Posted by bgiere
No need. I think it's a hype.
Originally Posted by ExMB
The way the calipers are on this car having the braided lines could simplify brake pad changes.
Originally Posted by Spyerx
Not needed.
Good fluid pads rotors.
Originally Posted by tvr-4
Part of me says, it's a '16 RS, not sure you need this... Other part of me says, it's a $500 insurance policy, just do it anyway for a piece of mind.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:53 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I was led to believe that braided lines would protect against foreign objects damaging a brake line.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
Figure 30-50 track days per year.

Car: 2016 RS.

Cost with labor - $500

Is it worth it? This was ALWAYS an upgrade on my previous non-P cars.

Your thoughts?

It all depends if you feel confident downshifting quickly enough to slow the car down to make a turn after a 130mph straight. ..... the point is, when your line blows, you have no front brakes and that is not a great feeling. the car doesnt care if its in a race or on the street, a blown line means no brakes and old rubber lines will blow. new ones.........not so much. i had it happen, after seening the stats on the problems of braided vs rubber lines. i stayed with porsche rubber lines........that decision was probably ok for the first 10 years of their lift.. at 20 years... it was a BIG problem!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen a teammate limp back into the pits with a burst rubber hose, but that was a street car 'banger' based endurance series so that rubber may have been 10+ years old.

Those were later replaced with steel braided hoses. Which didn't fail nearly as spectacularly but when a teammate came in complaining of softening brakes we went to bleed the fronts but as soon as he put pressure on, a thin jet of hot fluid shot out from a wear point where the braided hose had been rubbing against the suspension after not having been properly positioned after the most recent pad change. Made for a long pitstop while we stripped a replacement hose from a non-runner and fitted it.

So I guess I'd say:

Newish Porsche rubber, or braided should both be fine, but take spares to the track either way, and be very careful about routing braided hose to avoid rubbing.

FWIW, the driver who had the sudden blow out on corner entry slowed the car by downshifting and throwing it into a deliberate fishtail. A response that paid off for me too the following season when I lost brakes once going into a tight left-hander.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

There are pros and cons as well as horror stories on both sides.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wondered about this but one mechanic who does a lot of work with Porsche says that their factory cars always ran with rubber lines. I figured if it worked for the team cars it was OK for me. They should be inspected and replaced regularly, as they are the most important part of the car!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

I like braided on my cars . Much better brake feel and firmer pedal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Braided brake lines for Track Days ?