Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS uncomfortable

Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The schroth flex seems comfortable... But seems to be able to slide forward and hit the back of your neck...

I would think it would be most effective the further back it is positioned...
Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
You really don't want belts that are anything other than very tight.
This! There should be zero slack in your shoulder belts and you should tighten them as hard as you can. In order for the belts and Hans to function.

Are you wearing a race suit with the Hans shoulder pads underneath?
Old 03-15-2017, 02:36 AM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

No issues here with 1st gen Hans. Once I get up to speed I don't even notice it.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
This! There should be zero slack in your shoulder belts and you should tighten them as hard as you can. In order for the belts and Hans to function.

Are you wearing a race suit with the Hans shoulder pads underneath?
I can't get comfortable or drive without a little bit of upper body freedom. My belts are tight but not cutting off circulation tight. I typically wear a Sparco race suit, not sure if it has HANS specific shoulder pads in it.

Sometimes when it's very hot I don't wear my suit for HPDE so no pad for sure in that case.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by CrookedCommie
^ Yeah I had my seats installed upright and when I tilted them back 20° I found the HANS much more comfortable.
Thanks I have the option to tilt my Recaros I may try that.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:30 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Going to switch to the narrower 2" HANS specific shoulder belts since it worked fine with my HANS in a different car. This way I won't have to run my harnesses so tight it leaves a bruise from the HANS but the straps will still stay over the HANS. If that doesn't work I'll try the Schroth Flex.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 03-15-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Cosmo - you should have sat in my car at Cresson. I have the 2" shoulder belts. I think that is all you need to do to fix this. 3" technically work but the Hans is designed for 2".
Old 03-16-2017, 12:35 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Cosmo,

1st make sure and then check again that you have proper mounting of the harness for hans use. 90% of problems were installation errors .

If that passes consider the Schroth double shoulder belt hans specific harness. It is over $700 bucks! I have used them since it was Dr. Melvin's opinion and sled tests showed a mildly improved hans function. Additionally, they are the most comfortable belts made. However, they are slower to put on since you have a 3" shoulder belt with the hans sandwiched by a 2" belt. I won't race without these belts. I;m not concerned about speed or I would use the 3/2 belts. Those 3/2 shoulders are 2" over the hans for better retention and comfort. However you must have a HNR to use the 3/2 belt while with a 3" shoulder you can use with or without hans.

I had to buy my hans double shoulder as an addition to my 6pt 3/2 harness set. I just bought them and I have the 3/2 shoulder unused with the latest 2022 date. I would sell them if you want them.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:45 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

My 2 cents, are your shoulder belts mounted properly they should be almost a straight back mount from your shoulders. If you have too much of a rake then they are pulling down too much on your shoulders and your back.

If you can breath then your belts are not tight enough. The entire time I am on grid I am tightening my belts. They will loosen the first lap.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:46 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I can't get comfortable or drive without a little bit of upper body freedom.
Get comfortable and learn how too drive without upper body freedom. If you have upper body freedom your belts are not tight enough....unless you prefer to be a rag doll in a wreck.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Checked and my seat height and rake are ok. Belts pass straight over the hans through the holes in the seats to the bar. I have 2" shoulder belts coming this week so I'm going to swap those and see if that fixes my problem.

I had no issues with this same HANS in a friend's WRL SPB for 1+ hour stints and that car had the narrower shoulder belt so I think that's the suspect.

As far as belts go I don't run them loose at all but I can't get comfortable or control the car with them cinched so tight I can't breathe and to me that's more dangerous.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

This is the hans installation guide. There is more to proper install than just having the belts go in the holes and look level.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
HANSINSTALLATIONGUIDE.pdf (506.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:55 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
As far as belts go I don't run them loose at all but I can't get comfortable or control the car with them cinched so tight I can't breathe and to me that's more dangerous.
If you have "upper body freedom", they are loose. You don't need to move your upper body to control the car or to be able to breathe.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:49 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Move your seat further forward. That eliminates the need for more upper body freedom.

Your wrists should be easily over the top of the steering wheel without upper body motion.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
If you have "upper body freedom", they are loose. You don't need to move your upper body to control the car or to be able to breathe.
+1

The shoulder belts only have one position for me when I am in the car: as tight as possible.

Also running a seat that is too wide for your posture is really a bad idea. In a side impact you'll get a serious beating from your seat. Get a smaller seat or a seat insert.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HANS uncomfortable