Sponsored by:

Where do you buy your slicks

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:26 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Opened up my latest set of DH's from them and one of the tires had 11 marks on it. I inquired "11 HC?" along with a picture and the response I got was:

"Those slashes could mean a ton of different things to various teams."

So I thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone uses marks for something besides heat cycles. # of cars passed while running that tire maybe?
What those marks mean is you got hosed. He sold you tires that he pulled out of a dumpster. You got ripped off and UsedRacingTires.com aka JPHGlobal1 is not a reputable seller. That same ***** sold me a pair of Hoosiers that "only have 4 heatcycles on them". They were rock hard and wasted. Absolute junk.

I have purchased decent used tires from John Berget (jbracingtires.net), but unless it's right after the runoffs or some other big event you are rolling the dice on age and wear.

I mount my own tires so I don't pay for mounting and balancing, even still I have come to the conclusion that used tires are a waste of money 80%+ of the time. Once you factor in the typical $100 for a shop to mount and balance it's closer to 90%+. Unless you are buying tires that don't cycle out and you can inspect the tread and date stamp, or you are getting them from someone you trust, don't waste your money.

If you are in the used tire budget camp like me, just buy Nitto NT01's. They will never be as fast as a Hoosier or slick but they are consistent and last for a long time. You will be better off in every way on a good set of Nittos then you will be on some worn out slicks. If you are racing and you can't compete on the Nittos, but you can't afford new faster tires, it means you are in the wrong class or group. You need live with not being competitive or find a place you are. You gotta pay to play. Sucks but it's true.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a set of NT01's that I like and still use but I'm consistently 2+ seconds faster on worn out DH's. Luckily scrubs are pretty common in the club/class I'm running in so I can get away with it for now. I've budgeted for 12 sets of tires this year so $8,400 for scrubs vs $26,000 for stickers. That difference will pay for a whole lot of coaching which is where the most time to be gained still remains.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
I'm at a weird point in my development where I'm getting my PB's on DH's at 20+ HC. I feel like I can read the tires better once they start sliding and am more comfortable pushing them. But I think what's really happening is that instead of stepping up to their level of grip, I'm waiting for them to come down to my level.

But that gives me something to work on. When I can start setting PB's on my first
HC on scrubs, then it will be time to step up to stickers. I'm just glad spring is finally here so that I can stop talking and start doing!
You are describing a rather costly learning experience. Rather than worn out slicks you'd be better of learning with some new NT01s or R888s and getting some time on skid pad or in the rain. I also wouldn't measure my progress on personal bests or lap times in general unless you know exactly where you are improving and where there is still room for improvement.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for your tips as always Frank. I know my transparency opens me up to these types of comments and I'm OK with that. Luckily I have a damn good coach for guidance on these type of matters.

Right now I don't think it's anything that more seat time won't fix but only time, data, and coaching will tell. My PB at COTA my first time there was a 2:30 on my 20+ HC tires which is about 2.5s off the SP996 track record. So while it's no where near where I want to be, it's not like I'm just puttering on them either.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:34 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
What those marks mean is you got hosed. He sold you tires that he pulled out of a dumpster. You got ripped off and UsedRacingTires.com aka JPHGlobal1 is not a reputable seller. That same ***** sold me a pair of Hoosiers that "only have 4 heatcycles on them". They were rock hard and wasted. Absolute junk.

I have purchased decent used tires from John Berget (jbracingtires.net), but unless it's right after the runoffs or some other big event you are rolling the dice on age and wear.

I mount my own tires so I don't pay for mounting and balancing, even still I have come to the conclusion that used tires are a waste of money 80%+ of the time. Once you factor in the typical $100 for a shop to mount and balance it's closer to 90%+. Unless you are buying tires that don't cycle out and you can inspect the tread and date stamp, or you are getting them from someone you trust, don't waste your money.

If you are in the used tire budget camp like me, just buy Nitto NT01's. They will never be as fast as a Hoosier or slick but they are consistent and last for a long time. You will be better off in every way on a good set of Nittos then you will be on some worn out slicks. If you are racing and you can't compete on the Nittos, but you can't afford new faster tires, it means you are in the wrong class or group. You need live with not being competitive or find a place you are. You gotta pay to play. Sucks but it's true.
Did you tell JPH that you're not happy? He will usually work with you. He says 4 HC for all his tires but they are drop shipped from various places so I don't think he sees them.

In my experience even the deadest DH's have a bit more grip than fresh NT01's and the typical take offs I get have a TON more grip, no comparison.

Quick Reply: Where do you buy your slicks