Sponsored by:

Where do you buy your slicks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:47 AM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Opened up my latest set of DH's from them and one of the tires had 11 marks on it. I inquired "11 HC?" along with a picture and the response I got was:

"Those slashes could mean a ton of different things to various teams."

So I thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone uses marks for something besides heat cycles. # of cars passed while running that tire maybe?

Attachment 1148390
It means they were only used on the 11th of the month.....
Old 03-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Opened up my latest set of DH's from them and one of the tires had 11 marks on it. I inquired "11 HC?" along with a picture and the response I got was:

So I thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone uses marks for something besides heat cycles. # of cars passed while running that tire maybe?

Attachment 1148390
Actually, these tires have 12 heat cycles on them because nobody ever puts on the last mark before they are taken off.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:46 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Attachment 1148390
I've been told by several different guys that the Pirelli DH slicks do not heat cycle out- that they can be run until they are corded. Won't be as fast, but don't heat cycle out.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:58 PM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't heat cycling out and not as fast the same?
Old 03-25-2017, 03:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,828 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkim
Yes. For some, that can be after the first!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2017, 04:35 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scott40
I've been told by several different guys that the Pirelli DH slicks do not heat cycle out- that they can be run until they are corded. Won't be as fast, but don't heat cycle out.
Huh?

It is the same. For some drivers DH slicks start falling off after 2HCs.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 PM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Huh?

If Frank will run 12 cycle slicks in every race, I will give them to him for free.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:59 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Actually, these tires have 12 heat cycles on them because nobody ever puts on the last mark before they are taken off.
That's a great point.

I've been warned plenty about the scrub market. And truthfully, if you can really get them at 2-3 HC's I still think it's a great deal. But unless you have a consistent verifiable source there is no way to know what you are getting. As soon as I can figure out my sizing it will be time to switch to stickers.

Needless to say, I won't be doing business with them again. But I still thought their response was pretty humorous.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:55 AM
mdkim
Racer

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes. For some, that can be after the first!
Huh?

Yes it wasn't a serious question

Agree that you get one "magic" session...you just need be ready to take advantage of it.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:01 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Guess they meant using them for practice?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:02 PM
AlD
Intermediate

11 heat cycles on a set of Pirelli DH's is a LOT, assuming they are being used for race testing/practice.

I'm unsure if Pirelli changed the construction or compound from January of this year, but for these tires

1) the initial warm up/bring to pressure is key; they are proving very susceptible to carcass damage when below pressure, so the routine is first lap slow, second lap 50%, third lap go.....at least for qualifying on stickers. For a race, just be careful first few laps not to whack a curb

2) the golden window on Pirellis is the first 3-5 laps on stickers once up to temp and pressure. After that, the fall off is quick and stabilizes, but it can be the better part of 1-1.5 secs at some tracks.

3) Pirelli has had some issues with the rears catastrophically failing on high-load tracks (e.g.. Daytona coming into the tri-oval, Road America carousel). Part of this issue was exacerbated by teams running too low pressures or too much camber, but we lost 29 tires at the 2017 Daytona event (right rears) and 19 at Road America (left rears). Daytona creates its own unique issues due to the sustained high speeds, the belief is the centrifugal loads caused delamination.

Used tires can be a bargain and a reasonable alternative; however, do your best to try and understand the history. A few bucks saved on tires means nothing when a catastrophic failure results in the belt essentially sawing the back of your car apart
Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlD
11 heat cycles on a set of Pirelli DH's is a LOT, assuming they are being used for race testing/practice.

I'm unsure if Pirelli changed the construction or compound from January of this year, but for these tires

1) the initial warm up/bring to pressure is key; they are proving very susceptible to carcass damage when below pressure, so the routine is first lap slow, second lap 50%, third lap go.....at least for qualifying on stickers. For a race, just be careful first few laps not to whack a curb

2) the golden window on Pirellis is the first 3-5 laps on stickers once up to temp and pressure. After that, the fall off is quick and stabilizes, but it can be the better part of 1-1.5 secs at some tracks.

3) Pirelli has had some issues with the rears catastrophically failing on high-load tracks (e.g.. Daytona coming into the tri-oval, Road America carousel). Part of this issue was exacerbated by teams running too low pressures or too much camber, but we lost 29 tires at the 2017 Daytona event (right rears) and 19 at Road America (left rears). Daytona creates its own unique issues due to the sustained high speeds, the belief is the centrifugal loads caused delamination.

Used tires can be a bargain and a reasonable alternative; however, do your best to try and understand the history. A few bucks saved on tires means nothing when a catastrophic failure results in the belt essentially sawing the back of your car apart
Well said!!

Just to further beat this topic to death - I would add that any Pirelli DHs are worthless over 6/7 HCs when it comes to working on car set-up and true technical performance improvement. If you want to just practice driving in a low grip environment and sliding the car around they are good for some significant time beyond that.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

marks = HC to me!!!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I've gotten DH scrubs in various condition but I don't think I've gotten any that were already 12 HC old, those would be pretty dead in my opinion. I'd guess the average I receive is 4-6 HC old and then I run them another 6-8 HC and toss them.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm at a weird point in my development where I'm getting my PB's on DH's at 20+ HC. I feel like I can read the tires better once they start sliding and am more comfortable pushing them. But I think what's really happening is that instead of stepping up to their level of grip, I'm waiting for them to come down to my level.

But that gives me something to work on. When I can start setting PB's on my first
HC on scrubs, then it will be time to step up to stickers. I'm just glad spring is finally here so that I can stop talking and start doing!

Quick Reply: Where do you buy your slicks