Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virtual Track Walks with Peter Krause and Ross Bentley

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:36 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sebring! ill pay for the Sebring track walk video, i might even show up for the actual track walk if you offer that as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

[QUOTE=ProCoach;13985543]Ross and I are spending the next several days doing four more, with the goal of fifteen to twenty by end of summer. Each one takes between twenty-five (LRP, for example) to forty-five (Elkhart Lake, VIR, Sonoma and COTA) hours to assemble, record and

when is LRP available? ..
Old 03-07-2017, 06:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Summer...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

the WGI one is simply superb..
Old 03-07-2017, 09:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, Frank!

We've been super pleased with the response. The list of track requests has been huge and we've resolved to pick away nearly all of them, which will require lengthy preparation and many marathon recording sessions throughout this year and next. But that's part of the fun!

I know a few folks are getting on board with these things, as the whole "distance learning" phenomena really is the wave of the future.

Between Ross and I, we do offer a different approach, not to mention fifty-plus years of experience DOING JUST THIS sort of thing.

Besides, we're different enough in temperament, presentation style and personality so it's pretty funny, sometimes!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I just wanted to provide some feedback on the videos. I watched Laguna Seca video before my last track day at Laguna, and it was a GREAT help. I was rusty after not driving Laguna for 9 months and having driven it once in the previous year and a half, and I still managed to improve on my personal best by 0.2s, but more significantly, best theoretical lap improved by almost a second (more on that later).

Here are my observations - some things are just gobsmacking revelations that produce step-change in an instant. One example would be that entry oversteer in some corners is inevitable and the solution is to just expect it and to aim further inside than the apex. Boom! That took away so much frustration and added speed and confidence. It was puzzling me forever - why neat entry was so much slower than slidy entry, even if the latter lead to missing the apex. Now I know, and can do both faster slidy entry and hit the apex.

Some things are more complex and less clear. I'm still not fully sure how to do T2 and T9 best, even though I reviewed parts relating to these turns 3 times.

Another challenge is how to apply it all in practice. First, there are too many things to remember, and the video is long. I took notes, which helped, but some kind of a cheat sheet with key takeaways in order of priority would help even more.

Secondly, some changes are easy to do - just do it (e.g., turning in from the white triangle to maximize turn radius). While others are hard to execute even when you know the theory. I wonder what the process for applying that would be - easy first, harder later? Do drills?

Finally, my mistake was applying everything I could remember at once. That just destroyed my consistency - I was driving too much with my conscious brain. Also changes I made led to shifting braking points to account for higher speeds, which compounded the number of things to keep track of and caused even more mistakes. For example, typically most of my non-impeded laps are within 0.5s of my best lap of the session, but this time the variance was bigger than 1s. Also, my theoretical best was 1:36.0 (vs. 1:37.3 real best), while before the theoretical best was 1:36.9 vs. 1:37.5 real best, which also speaks to reduced consistency. But that makes sense - I made a lot of changes. I'll rethink this and will try to do fewer things at a time.

Anyway, this is very helpful. Tremendous value. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:07 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I watched Laguna Seca video before my last track day at Laguna, and it was a GREAT help.

Some things are more complex and less clear. I'm still not fully sure how to do T2 and T9 best, even though I reviewed parts relating to these turns 3 times.

Another challenge is how to apply it all in practice. First, there are too many things to remember, and the video is long. I took notes, which helped, but some kind of a cheat sheet with key takeaways in order of priority would help even more.

I wonder what the process for applying that would be - easy first, harder later? Do drills? I'll rethink this and will try to do fewer things at a time.

Anyway, this is very helpful. Tremendous value. Thank you!
Excellent feedback! Thank you for posting. Your experience sounds like so much more than just applying simple track information, and that is great to hear.

I can send you some notes specifically addressing T2 and T9 so you can be VERY clear on directions. While T2 has a prime and option approach geometry (final apex and exit are the same), there is a very specific geometry we recommend for T9, perhaps the most mangled corner on this track, by many!

We appreciate that these videos are somewhat like trying to drink from a fire hose. SO much information and the videos are still long! We're working on how to offer those simple "cheat sheets" and takeaways to those who subscribe to various tracks on our Virtual Track Walks.

As far as implementing successfully, a smaller, more targeted scope and objective is often necessary. Whatever it takes to do it in small enough bites to measure whether you have improved or not. Sounds like you do a pretty good comparative analysis now, and your greater variance means you're getting MORE right, just not yet able to string it together. Pretty good job of knocking the rust off! Congrats.

I'm in Seattle for this week with Ross. He finished editing and has posted Road America and the Indianapolis GP Road Course we did earlier this spring just this week.

We have completed the recording of Mid-Ohio and Lime Rock. Looking forward to recording COTA and Barber as well as VIR. Then, give us several weeks for editing and uploading and those will be up.

But, a long list awaits... PacNW, Thunderhill and Buttonwillow, Sebring, Daytona, other Northeast tracks, more in the central are of the country, the requests keep rolling in! Fun!

Thank you again!

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-27-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waiting to buy Sebring - and I'd do the same for Roebling. :-)
Old 04-27-2017, 01:41 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Ideas guys. but the web site needs help. There is no obvious login. Video's don't always run. Maybe it just me.... I need a bit of help. Please provide a link to tech support?
Old 04-27-2017, 02:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Great Ideas guys. but the web site needs help. There is no obvious login. Video's don't always run. Maybe it just me.... I need a bit of help. Please provide a link to tech support?
We'll get you straight.

We've not had other issues, but if you've had a problem, we'll fix it!

Ross has responded already to your inquiry by email.

Thanks and can't wait to hear what you think!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:06 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you did a 1:56.3 there last year (), interested in what you think, although I have no doubt Peter did a fantastic job ....

Last edited by bauerjab; 04-27-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I can send you some notes specifically addressing T2 and T9 so you can be VERY clear on directions. While T2 has a prime and option approach geometry (final apex and exit are the same), there is a very specific geometry we recommend for T9, perhaps the most mangled corner on this track, by many!
I'd very much appreciate that! With T2, found that missing the first apex by a little and going tight on the second one is fast, but can't figure out the turn in point and the exact shape of the curve - progressively tightening and then unwinding or constant radius and then unwinding. T9 just feels awkward every time.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:15 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ross and Peter thank for your Tech help. These guys are great.

Last edited by fstockcarrera; 04-27-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ross and Peter thank for your Tech help. These guys are great.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:47 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree - fantastic resources - I have Laguna Seca, and will be there this weekend.

I've watched it about 10 times, and have taken a small page of notes to help
remember 5 key points I'd like to work on.

I'd like COTA next

If you want to load it on your iPad, I recommend Player Xtreme Media Player app
published by Xtreme media works. It has a unique way to get videos on your iPad
by creating a local network that your computer can join. I also use it to upload
my Smarty Cam vids up to the ipad so I can watch while on a plane.

Quick Reply: Virtual Track Walks with Peter Krause and Ross Bentley