Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE

Old 02-12-2017, 03:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

I'm not suggesting you don't get on-track insurance, but you are 99 44/100% in control of your own destiny in an HPDE and for the most part, safer than you are on the street driving to and from the event.

Just my .02 (and I have driven other people's cars, some as valuable as $20M, on track in HPDE, track days and races safely for thirty-four years, knock on wood...)
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-12-2017, 08:13 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

You'll be fine. I bought insurance the first time out with a previous car and got some peace of mind for my money. Keep in mind the deductible is quite high so if you just spin or run off the road into the gravel or something minor (which is the most likely bad scenario) you're essentially going to pay for it out of pocket with or without track insurance. It's best to think of it as a catastrophic policy.

After about 5-10 DEs the bug hit and I'm presently thinking renting a SPB is a better idea than tracking my new 911. (Long term I'll get a race car.) The rental cost is only a little more than just track insurance for my 991.2, and in the unlikely event of an accident, the rental would be much cheaper to repair or replace. Might be worth thinking about if you really like the track.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:34 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SCCA has something called track night in America. Google it...

$175 for the day, AND you get a new 2015 bell helmet for 50% off ($150 open face, $200 closed)....

Great way to get your toes wet, and get a helmet for next to nothing...

Bo
Old 02-13-2017, 08:48 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default I reached out to 2 DE Instructors...

who are friends of mine and will be instructing at the HPDE that I am attending and both have the opinion that track insurance would not, in their opinion, be necessary for the novice class. This is consistent with many of the responses within this thread.

Thanks all again for the responses and encouragement. I am feeling more confident in my driving abilities and the communication process anticipated with the Instructor such that my original anxiety is all but gone.

Al
Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Have fun and be safe. As for rock chips, it depends on the track. Here in SoCal, we have a several tracks that can get pretty dirty with debris, so some people use masking tape on the front end and mirrors for protection.

Forgot to mention, some track orgs will let you use a current/non-crashed motorcycle helmet, but check first. But for $200-300, you can get a basic SA-2010/SA-2015 helmet for auto use.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're about to take a big leap, but you won't be doing it alone -- if I were to offer any single piece of advice, it would be to focus on communicating well with your instructor, since you will both get so much more out of it that way.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,701 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Due to safety concerns, Dominion Raceway is the one track on the northern half of the East Coast which I personally plan to skip. Safety improvements have been made since the track was first opened to traffic, but based on videos from the end of last season, IMO there's still some way to go.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not blunt but rather truthful. HPDEs are the best things you can do with your clothes on. Don't buy a used helmet. You drive a Porsche, don't cheap your life. Yes you can get rock chips.... could happen. People use blue tape but it's lots of work. Do what you think is right; it's your car you have to live with the rock chips. Track insurance is a definite consideration if you don't know what your doing or others when out on track (on track insurance comes to mind as a company). I have seen nearly every type of crash (new and old cars) and have seen the horror in someone's eyes when they still have payments on a wrecked car. Please have your car properly inspected before the track event by a certified shop. Some shops will inspect the car for free! Consider changing your brake fluids and pads if you don't know when they were last changed. Now that's all said - go out with an open mind and enjoy the best in life. The smiles will be ear to ear and cloud nine all the way you. You'll be blown away by how awesome your car is.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:38 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

PCA Has some of the best instructors, my best advice is pay close attention, Good instructors wont let you get in situations over your ability. Look around on the internet, you can pick up a SA2015/Snell helmet for around $250, If you are a car guy/driving enthusiast you WILL want to do more DE's, my suggestion is to buy it. Some people compare the track to drugs, I think its like that hot girl you "finally" get to date, once you have started dating... You just want to keep going and constantly take it to the next level because it is so much fun:-) Either way, you end up spending allot of money, and you do it with a smile.... Welcome to the slippery slope!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default I have been looking at helmets...

Probably going to OG Racing in Sterling VA next week to check them out in person.

My wife measured my head today and it appears I am on the cusp of a size medium/large. (circumference of 22 1/8" to 22 1/4". Not sure my wife can read a tape measure.

I noticed there are open faced and full faced helmets available. Any pros/cons between the styles? Which style is preferable?

Thanks

Al
Old 02-14-2017, 07:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Closed face
No question
Protect thy chin!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Closed face, like Rick said.

OG is fantastic. Bill Love and I started teaching together 27 years ago and his crew, especially Mark, is fantastic! Great resource. The helmet fit is not just the crown of your head, it's your cheeks, your forehead, etc. You don't want your head "swimming" AT ALL in the foam of the helmet.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA

My wife measured my head today and it appears I am on the cusp of a size medium/large. (circumference of 22 1/8" to 22 1/4".
Great that you can try them in person--don't worry about "small-med-large" as much as finding one that fits correctly, whatever the size. After testing a medium and finding it a bit loose my new helmet is a small and, while very snug, it WILL break in (I'm wearing it around the house to help do so--my neighbors should see me )

Gary
Old 02-14-2017, 10:05 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Closed face. You will likely leave the visor up most of the time at first. Don't worry about how much sound it blocks out, because your instructor will likely have a small earpiece and mic for you so you can hear each other easily.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:42 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious...

Why is the closed face preferred? Of course common sense suggests it is, as it's more protective... But is it in hpde use?

Is it solely eye protection?

Or, is the thought that it protects you in case something massive comes through the windshield?

Or, is it to protect your jaw from hitting the steering wheel?

I ask, as I love my open face...

Glasses protect the eyes...

Pretty unlikely a massive object will come through the windshield...

And with a 6 point belt, and Hans, awefully unlikely my face comes anywhere near the steering wheel...

Wasn't sure about a Hans with an open face. But the bell 2015 open face is Hans compatible...

So, what the rationale?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE