Sponsored by:

Hagerty now offering Trackday Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:33 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Rick- I think Mt Hawley - still un-admitted

Ron - thanks for the plug ..........do I see new livery?????

Accel- lol I wish you were right about easy money . Keep this in mind 75% of our covered losses are totals. Trust me its not easy to make money on DE insurance. Accident rates have gone way up . Lots of reasons but 1 reason velocity of the cars on track today . Most hits aren't single impact . There is usually a second that does just as much damage
Did you guys ever think of offering policies structured differently? For many guys, $300-400 per track day, is beyond what the budget allows...

Anyway to offer a policy at $100 per track day? Perhaps a larger deductible? Or, a lower pay out?

For example, for $100 you have a $3000 deductible at $20,000 max payout... And so forth...

That wouldn't replace a car, but would give the average joe enough cash to make the damage absorbable and ease the tears...

I can fix a lot on my car for $20,000.

Might expand your market...
Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Track insurance in a lot of ways reminds me of Obamacare: high deductible prior to any payout.

Plus I think a lot of tracks without adequate runoff are causing the premiums to be high (fences, armco, concrete walls, trees, all being a contributor to multiple impacts)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

bpu- the price is per event not per day . So if you average out a 2 or 3 day event we are priced where you want to be on a average $50,000. car ( amazing how 50k is average today )

Cant do max payouts to many issues with totaled cars . It would create a lot of un happy customers if we totaled out a car that was worth 2+ times the 20K. Remember we are true Agreed Value . We don't depreciate or use a lower book value on a total. We use what you declared your car to be worth. Huge difference and veryyyyy important coverage for our customers. Most peoples standard auto insurance companies don't write "Agreed Value" only the high end companies like Chubb, AIG Private Client or PURE offer it.

By the way 85% of our claims were over $20,000 in damage

Rick- you are right. I try and track trends in our claims and I cant attribute frequency to any club. PCA has a large amount of DE participants and is as safe if not safer then most. There is definitely a frequency issue with advanced/instructors groups in all clubs. Apposed to what most people think its usually not the beginners that are crashing.

GoFish- thanks

Last edited by Steve113; 02-16-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Just so you know 85% of our claims were over $20,000 in damage.
Any specific tracks that come to mind, are more prone than others?
Old 02-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Not really from what I see. Hard to tell though if they hit the tires because the guardrail was to close to the track or not. I know the turns on must tracks but I don't know where specifically they hit. I can Monday quarterback most accidents and figure out exactly what happened

Its really an issue of driver error and its the same basics that we try and teach from day 1. And remember more advanced/instructors crash than anyone else:

1) turning in to early
2) to much speed for the turn or conditions
3) cold tires
Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I know Mosport causes a lot of car damage. It is a high speed track with high speed turns. Often the accidents are caused by guys running wide in a turn at exit and instead of just going straight and slowing down, they try to save the turn and come across the track and crash.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM
bpu699

Not really from what I see. Hard to tell though if they hit the tires because the guardrail was to close to the track or not. I know the turns on must tracks but I don't know where specifically they hit. I can Monday quarterback most accidents and figure out exactly what happened

Its really an issue of driver error and its the same basics that we try and teach from day 1. And remember more advanced/instructors crash than anyone else:

1) turning in to early
3) cold tires
Based on this, should lower run groups be cheaper to insure? And higher groups, more?

bo
Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

1) turning in to early
3) cold tires
That would be interesting. I believe that the tracks with the least amount of runoff are probably harder hits than the tracks with lots of runoff. I don't know anything about the tracks out east (well Sebring looks like in doesn't have nearly as much as VIR - from videos) but in my neck of the woods I know which ones have the most and which ones have the least.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:45 PM
bpu699

Originally Posted by ExMB
That would be interesting. I believe that the tracks with the least amount of runoff are probably havrder hits than the tracks with lots of runoff. I don't know anything about the tracks out east (well Sebring looks like in doesn't have nearly as much as VIR - from videos) but in my neck of the woods I know which ones have the most and which ones have the least.
First track I was ever on was the Milwaukee Mile. I thought all tracks were like that... Concrete walls everywhere...no run off...

Then I saw black hawk... Much better... Still some tight areas with trees close...

And that why I love road America... Miles of run off space... Gravel pits everywhere... Love it.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Bpu- No surcharges yet based on groups and I hope it never comes down to that . I think it comes down to a better understanding on track of the basics and applying the basics even when we are advanced.
ex:There are many times we have all turned in early on track for what ever reason. By understanding the basics we realize in that split second at the entrance that we will run out of track at the exit. So if we understand this we can re adjust our line through the turn by lots of methods
a) get the car slowed down more then normal to get back on line or be able to stay on track with that radius
b) take a latter apex or carry the apex a little longer to adjust the exit angle

Lots of scenarios to save the day and that's just on turning in early . My point is its an art or craft to driving. We have to all keep honing our skills and learn like a sponge every time we on the track. Learn from good and especially BAD.

I can tell you every race I run my first warm up session is working on my line. I will be one of the slowest in the race warm up. Each season I get faster . By race time I am ready to run at winning race pace. I have been racing for 25 years and podium probably 95% of my races. Its all happens progressively.

ExMb- its strange because some times the turns we think would have the worst rate of incident turn out to be not so bad .
ex: last turn at the Glen coming onto front straight. No run off, curbing then guard rail . I for one always think I can be faster through it . Some how we try and be extra clean through it because there's no room for error.There's that little birdie that sits on our shoulder and reminds us not that much room for error. So there are less incidents than we would think. Although when there are it usually a very big incident

So at some tracks that we think are really bad end up being ok because that birdie, intimidation or what ever you want to call it force us to take a notch or be on our game 100%
So tough to tell I always look at the tracks and there safety. I can tell you though I loveeeee flat tracks with tons of flat run off from an insurance standpoint

Last edited by Steve113; 02-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Hagerty now offering Trackday Insurance