Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing License

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:16 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

This is all relevant to me as I'm hoping to join the SPB fold within the next couple of seasons. I know the answer to many of these questions is 'it depends,' but how much experience in black/advance would most chief instructors want to see before making a recommendation? Also, who's Susan and what's 'the talk'?

My assumption is that earning my license with PCA will be best, since I ultimately want to race with them. But is it worth looking at other sanctioning bodies?

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Every organization has their own rules and there are provisions to move from one to the other. For PCA:

1) Start with an application and recommendation by your PCA region's chief instructor. This is all available on the PCA Club Racing website
2) Get a medical certificate that is good for either 1 or 2 years
3) Have "the talk" with Susan
4) Get a PCA log book for your car
5) Attend the orientation meeting at your first race
6) Participate in practice starts at your first race
7) Go racing with an "x" on the back of your car for your initial 3 races
Old 01-14-2017, 06:57 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
will PCA recognize well documented experience in SVRA and HSR? I have license for those, and more races (which are reciprocal) but i am still provisional at PCA....
Originally Posted by PGas32
This is all relevant to me as I'm hoping to join the SPB fold within the next couple of seasons. I know the answer to many of these questions is 'it depends,' but how much experience in black/advance would most chief instructors want to see before making a recommendation? Also, who's Susan and what's 'the talk'?

My assumption is that earning my license with PCA will be best, since I ultimately want to race with them. But is it worth looking at other sanctioning bodies?
Susan Shire is the licensing program coordinator for PCA. Before coming up with a plan to get a PCA license I highly recommend talking to her. I made a few assumptions that turned out to be incorrect and could have been avoided if I'd talked with her first. Her contact info is on the application form.

https://www.pca.org/sites/default/fi...n%20Form_0.pdf
Old 01-14-2017, 10:59 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I know we're on a Porsche forum, but IMHO there's no better learning tool than a Spec Miata. Relatively inexpensive to buy, run and maintain, reliable, safe (for a racing car), great handling, a momentum car perfect for learning car control. Plus there's a million of them out there racing, so you can get a good idea of your learning progress over time. Good for renting and learning, and if you decide racing is for you, it's hard to go wrong with a good, well maintained Spec Miata.

In the words of Ferris Bueller ........"if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up".
Old 01-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32

The sign off requirements across PCA regions for Club Racing vary widely. Only your chief instructor will be able to tell you what the minimum requirement is for him.

"The talk" with Susan will fill you in on the inner secrets of Club Racing, like the secret handshake and how to spot other Club Racers so you can give the secret nod when you see them in a shopping mall. Joking aside, "the talk" with Susan is the last step before you get your provisional license before your fist race.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman
will PCA recognize well documented experience in SVRA and HSR? I have license for those, and more races (which are reciprocal) but i am still provisional at PCA....

its just that there is no place aircooled dedicated 911 race cars in PCA club anymore ( except stock classes which my car is way out of..) so hard to get those races in...
Yes, an SVRA and HSR license will get you a PCA license and yes I believe it will be provisional initially for your first three races. Jut make sure you don't hit anything for those three races. Usually, each sanctioning body requires their own medical certificate but HSR accepted my PCA for the first year. PCA did not accept my HSR medical for example.

I believe that there will be 4 PCA races in 2017 that will have special vintage groups, just like at PCA Summit Point last year.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:37 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Usually, each sanctioning body requires their own medical certificate but HSR accepted my PCA for the first year. PCA did not accept my HSR medical for example.

I believe that there will be 4 PCA races in 2017 that will have special vintage groups, just like at PCA Summit Point last year.
Yep, not full reciprocity... That's the problem. SVRA and HSR licenses are accepted by SCCA and NASA. PCA and BMWCCA CR licences are accepted by SVRA and HSR. But PCA and BMWCCA CR don't accept full competition licenses from any of the others (not even IMSA or FIA) without "the talk," their own medical, provisional status for three races and mandatory novice briefing. Smh.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-15-2017, 01:57 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

And because you are a girl if you get a Miata you will not get the hair dresser jokes that I would.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:30 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Is it mandatory that you Attend The 12 track days in the 24 months to be eligible? I have 10, (was signed off after the 2nd) but not in the past 24 months, I plan on doing another 4 (at least) this year.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Is it mandatory that you Attend The 12 track days in the 24 months to be eligible? I have 10, (was signed off after the 2nd) but not in the past 24 months, I plan on doing another 4 (at least) this year.
Nothing is written in stone regarding the 12 days in 24 months. It will come down to what your region says about you, what level you are at, and how Susan judges you after your conversation with her if it gets that far..
Old 01-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Königin
Hope this is not an Enzo

What procedures/steps need to be taken to get one? And, are the procedures the same for PCA, NASA, SCCA, etc?

Thanks
For PCA - you simply need to read the PCA Club Racing Rule Book, it's clearly spelled out there.

Don't know about the others, but my guess it's all in their respective rule books also.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

IMHO... SCCA has a bit more car contacts than some of the other race orgs.

I was instructing, at a SCCA school a few years ago, and older gentleman brought a really nice vintage MG.... that was hit hard in the rear in the 1st turn brake zone, on one of the practice starts by a beater ITC corolla... Everyone was fine, but that car was messed up... sucks but that's racing...

Normally vintage cars would have their own sessions. But because its a school all kinds of cars run in the same run group.

I'd guess PCA/NASA/BMWCCA Schools and Races have less contact on average.

ymmv.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
IMHO... SCCA has a bit more car contacts than some of the other race orgs.

I'd guess PCA/NASA/BMWCCA Schools and Races have less contact on average.

ymmv.
I don't think that is true, certainly in the last ten years.

I see a little less contact in BMWCCA CR than I do at SCCA, maybe a little more at NASA and definitely more at the larger PCA events. The worst is LeMons or Chump...

Historics aren't immune either... No group is clean, anymore.

You MUST keep your heads up and your wits about you, "360 awareness" as my friend, Ron Zitza, likes to preach!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:57 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don't think that is true, certainly in the last ten years.

I see a little less contact in BMWCCA CR than I do at SCCA, maybe a little more at NASA and definitely more at the larger PCA events. The worst is LeMons or Chump...
All I race is SCCA Majors and annual Runoffs. There is contact in every race. There is no question that of the 300-600 racers on any weekend there will be multiple cars not going home in the condition they came to the track. That's what I see and I have been on the receiving end of that too.

OP,
For me there is not much more fun than racing. Racing is a drug and a cocaine habit is cheaper. For some perspective, I might spend about as much time with something about racing (car prep etc) as I do with my wife. My wife and Daughter spend less than I do on racing and I'm not a front runner spending to win. I just love racing.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Racing and performance driving in general, changed my life for the better in so many ways. Its cost a small fortune in time and money, but I don't regret a minute of it, and wish I could do more of it.

I hate to hear of lots of carnage at the big PCA events... or any event, but especially when its not a pro event and there is no prize money...

-The take away I had with the SCCA school was, All the cars are in the same run group. That MG would have been better hanging back on the practice starts... vs. trying to 'win' that school race against the IT crowd...

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 01-22-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Königin
Hope this is not an Enzo

What procedures/steps need to be taken to get one? And, are the procedures the same for PCA, NASA, SCCA, etc?

Thanks
Take a look at the Bridgestone Racing Academy.
3 full days in a formula car, SCCA Regional full competition and CASC B license upon graduation.

www.race2000.com

Good exchange rate too....

Quick Reply: Racing License