Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Live-streaming - Who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Frank, we use Racecast me when we run our cars in AER. It works fantastic But there is a few seconds of delay .
Old 12-02-2016, 11:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

There's always going to be delay unless there is a mWave repeater mesh around the track... IP and network translation is going to add 5-10 seconds of delay, even if very good latency is achieved through 4G or LTE service.

I've investigated this as a real time coaching tool, but it's not there yet until broadcast level infrastructure is in place.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-02-2016, 12:20 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There's always going to be delay unless there is a mWave repeater mesh around the track... IP and network translation is going to add 5-10 seconds of delay, even if very good latency is achieved through 4G or LTE service.

I've investigated this as a real time coaching tool, but it's not there yet until broadcast level infrastructure is in place.
Would it be enough to work on 1-2 things saving discussion for the straights? Like at VIR if you wanted to work on entry to the esses, talk about last lap during the back straight and talk about roller coaster during the front straight? Etc. etc. Or is the quality not even there for that level of interaction.

Put another way, is livestreaming eventually a potential solution to the right seat dilemma that crops up periodically?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Potentially a solution, for SURE! Just a matter for time.

I was close to purchasing a $6500 LAN streaming system that promised useful, absent lag. But the communications from the Nordic manufacturer evaporated, thankfully before I sent the money.

Teradek is looking good, but again, I would need drones or repeaters around the track to be useful.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have a Movi from Livestream (the company), but it requires a wired network connection...
Old 12-02-2016, 01:36 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I am thinking about setting this up on race car my car for the next season. Does anybody have any good experience with this?

I have found Racecast.me. It allows you to produce a video icon on Racemonitor.com that anybody can click on to watch your live stream.

What you basically need is:
- GoPro (with HDMI Output)
- Live Streaming Device (like the Cerevo LiveShell)
- MiFi to transmit via cell network
- Battery to connect the GoPro, Cerevo and Mifi too
Peter McIntosh set one up for a race in Vern Chevalier's car several years back.It was kinda crude but it worked. Did you talk to Bavaro about it?
Old 12-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Peter McIntosh set one up for a race in Vern Chevalier's car several years back.It was kinda crude but it worked. Did you talk to Bavaro about it?
Yes actually I did - but technology has come a long way since then
Tried FaceTime last year and it worked surprisingly well with very little delay. Now you can do Facebook live streaming also with your iPhone. I just need something more rugged than an iPhone and a prepaid Data Plan.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:08 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
I bought the Racekeeper setup with a MiFi from Verizon. I am just installing this weekend. Why? Streaming Video but also streaming data to the crew on the wall. Cant get better than that. Of course I have not seen any of it work but like I said will be installing Saturday.
well this will be epic if it works!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:32 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there when Peter did this on the wall at sebring it was crude but is the way to go. streaming is the way to go. i want to get this in all sanctioning groups
Old 12-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Periscope. Use it all the time. Pit crew watches as well. Works a treat if you have connectivity.

Incorrect commentary above on delay. We've tested all over the place. Roughly 1 second delay. Surprised me too
Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Periscope. Use it all the time. Pit crew watches as well. Works a treat if you have connectivity.

Incorrect commentary above on delay. We've tested all over the place. Roughly 1 second delay. Surprised me too
Interesting - What kind of camera and live streaming device do you have in the car?
Old 12-03-2016, 02:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

https://www.wired.com/2016/01/best-g...for-periscope/

I haven't used Periscope, but I can assure you my latency experience is correct, on the half dozen or so methods I've tried.

Equipped with a radio at Sebring and Watkins Glen, there's no way to do effective real-time command instructions when I am looking at the car, the stream and using the radio... looking at the car? fine. Looking solely at the stream, I'm too late...
Old 12-03-2016, 05:28 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarcD147
youtube livestreaming also lists a iPhone app to do this so that is another option
I wrote one to do it

http://youlive.be/

I have used this a lot in our race car for streaming endurance races. The problem with most other apps is how they handle bad connections. You can't manually reconnect while you are racing

We spent a lot of money installing a shuttle pc, HDMI to USB converter, 4G modem and the whole shebang in our car this season. Image quality was awesome but we never had it running stable for an entire race, so for the last one of the season we switched back to the iPhone with my app.

FYI and old iPhone (iPhone 4S) still works best for this, as the image stabilizers in the new ones are actually worse when installed where there are lots of vibrations.

This is what it looks like using an iPhone 4S:

Image quality isn't amazing but it's more about being able to follow the race than have TV broadcast quality footage for us

This is what my custom built solution looked like when it worked:

Skip to minute 14 to see it in action on track, including real time overlay (qualifying, I integrated some text overlays ).
Old 12-03-2016, 07:31 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very cool. The image quality is surprisingly good.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:52 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Yeah, now if only the PC that was running it would be as good ....
We'll do some more testing. Our guess is it's a power supply issue, as the problems were different at every test, going from no internet to the camera shutting down to the pc completely freezing.

Quick Reply: Live-streaming - Who's done it?