Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   RIP Mr. Chicken (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/964284-rip-mr-chicken.html)

sbelles 11-25-2016 11:02 PM

RIP Mr. Chicken

This may not seem racing related but for generations, Mr. Chicken has been a part of the Watkins Glen experience.

After 50 years of operation, Mr. Chicken will be closing on December 17, 2016 due to health reasons. The Bond family and staff would like to thank their loyal customers for the years of support. It's been an honor to be a part of the Watkins Glen community. We take great pride in the fact that Mr. Chicken has been part of the "you can't miss this" list for many years. Closing Mr. Chicken was not an easy decision for our family to make. When we learned that Watkins Glen State Park was going to be redone, we approached the Parks to see if they would be interested in purchasing the property. While our closing is sad, we will be a part of Watkins Glen State Park, a place that we love and was part of what made us successful all these years.

Matt Romanowski 11-25-2016 11:04 PM

Wow! I'll miss the chicken and 7pm closing time. RIP Mr. Chicken.

rnh204 11-25-2016 11:22 PM

I might get flamed for this but while it's nostalgic I can't say the food was any better than what you could get at Boston market. If you want good BBQ, goto prizebox bbq next to parmenter. Literally a stall on the side of the road but the food is amazing.

I loved Savards for breakfast but now I goto Glen mountain. Almost seems like WG is becoming more gentrified with the newer restaurants like nickels.

Gary R. 11-25-2016 11:31 PM

First Savards closes for breakfast, now this...I don't think I can take much more.

Bill Lehman 11-26-2016 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gary R. (Post 13770858)
First Savards closes for breakfast, now this...I don't think I can take much more.

My new go to breakfast spot is the Glen Mountain Market. http://www.glenmountainmarket.com/menu.html

Dan Jacobs 11-26-2016 10:11 AM

Man.. That place was great I almost want to drive up for one more chicken speedie

Veloce Raptor 11-26-2016 10:27 AM

Oh no!!!

Gary R. 11-26-2016 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman (Post 13771188)
My new go to breakfast spot is the Glen Mountain Market. http://www.glenmountainmarket.com/menu.html

We found that place this year, very good breakfast sangweeech and coffee. Also the BBQ place across the street for cold beer and fresh air. I miss Savard's slow service and mediocre food though.. :D

Gary R. 11-26-2016 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs (Post 13771246)
Man.. That place was great I almost want to drive up for one more chicken speedie

Mass exodus on 12/10 for chicken! Hey, it's only a 5 hour drive each way!
:D

RickBetterley 11-26-2016 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Mass exodus on 12/10 for chicken! Hey, it's only a 5 hour drive each way!
:D

Went there once. Emphasis on once.
But I'm glad they have their fans.
And any family business that makes it through 50 years has my admiration.

gbuff 11-26-2016 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by rnh204 (Post 13770843)
I might get flamed for this but while it's nostalgic I can't say the food was any better than what you could get at Boston market.

That's it.....personally I could care less about the food (my arteries are grateful) but that place was an institution. Been visiting the Glen since 1972 and it's always been there.

Gary

LuigiVampa 11-26-2016 04:36 PM

Glad I was there this past October. Agree that it wasn't awesome food but it was decent, and more importantly, it was nostalgic. Will miss it.

paradocs98 11-26-2016 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sbelles (Post 13770818)
This may not seem racing related but for generations, Mr. Chicken has been a part of the Watkins Glen experience.

I never got a chance to try Mr. Chicken in my many visits to the Glen. Sad to see institutions disappear.

Originally Posted by rnh204 (Post 13770843)
Almost seems like WG is becoming more gentrified with the newer restaurants like nickels.

One benefit of the "gentrification" is the Wal-Mart on 4th Street. Literally saved my behind one trip when I arrived for a two-day event wearing shorts, with no long pants packed. Where else can you find a nice pair of Wrangler cargo pants for $17.99 at 8pm on a Sunday in downtown Watkins Glen, NY?:D
I still have them. They're great.

fhp911 11-26-2016 07:48 PM

Major bummer.

On top of the loss of Savards !!!

What is the world coming to??

ProCoach 11-27-2016 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Gary R. (Post 13771510)
We found that place this year, very good breakfast sangweeech and coffee. Also the BBQ place across the street for cold beer and fresh air.

^^This^^

Also, the wine tasting room with small plates is pretty darned good, too.

Mr. Chicken was a stalwart for Skip Barber Racing School instructors! Just a little more than the per diem, and a LOT of good memories there made by a lot of good people.

Me? Won't miss it. ;)