NE Bucket List Track Quest

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by rnh204
No it's not that bad. Make sure you have your passport and registration or title for the car you're bringing in. That's all you'll need.

They'll ask a few general questions, where are you going, how long will you be here.

On the way back to the USA, they asked me to open up my enclosed trailer (more I think to check out the car than anything)
It is pretty easy. Recommend a list of trailer contents and some sort of proof of ownership of the race car. Not for going into Canada, but for getting back into the US.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-13-2017, 10:41 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
June 2-4 at Mosport... following May 29-June 1 at WGI. Will need lots of tires and brake pads!

A question regarding border crossing... guys at Wright Motorsports told one of my buddies that crossing into and returning from Canada is a huge hassle. Talked about needing to account for everything you bring in (tires, parts, even gasoline) and then checking again as you recross the border. Wasn't clear if this was on the US or Canada side. I know many of you have experience crossing for events. Is this accurate? If so, any advice on how to prep?

Thanks!
Not true in my experience. I cross the border 4 round trips/year with no hassle.
I think the race shops are more likely to encounter what you describe. They often provide a list of the equipment and parts they are bringing into Canada and have customs sign off on it. But I doubt you will need that.
At least I hope not!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Concurred on recommending Chin. Two-day events with about three hours on track per day, events are well run and safe with a friendly atmosphere, and there are run groups to suit all levels of drivers from novice to pro. They have many events in the northeast and much of the rest of the US. It's not coincidental that Chin is the largest provider of track days in the US.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:21 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

UCR has a nice link on their web site with details/suggestions on border crossing. You may find it helpful.

Whatever you do - DON'T bring any self defense items (like pepper-gel spray) unless you intend NOT to declare it. Any self defense in Canada is prohibited - UNLESS it's a properly registered firearm.

So they confiscated my pepper spray and I had to sign forms, bla bla.... but if I had my hand gun I could have "checked" it at the border and picked it up on the way home.

I spent my entire youth crossing back/forth between Canada & Buffalo. I was taught to never **** with customs. You have zero rights at a border crossing and can be held with no reason for lengthy periods of time. I had forgotten about the pepper spray in my purse until the agent asked if I was carrying any (and she rattled off a list of prohibited items). I said yes to pepper spray rather than risk a random secondary inspection where they'd find it - and I'd be in deep ****. I could have said nothing but to me it wasn't worth the risk.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:48 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Rest of the Story

Want to thank all RL'ers for their advice and counsel on planning our NE track quest. Ended up doing WGI with both Niagara and Metro NY regions PCA and then Mosport with UCR PCA. Just want to say that we had a FANTASTIC time!

Four days at WGI, two with ample opportunity to use rains. Finally got comfortable with most of the track... turn 9 still haunts me. "Blue hedges" are definitely intimidating. Love the inner loop and turn 10. Shout out to Ross Bentley, ProCoach and their "virtual track walk"...extremely helpful...well worth the price. Thanks to the Flyin' Filipino, Rich, of Niagara for the hospitality and patience with the "Indiana guys". Definitely want to come back!

On to Ontario and Mosport! Long drive... would love it if there was a ferry across Lake Ontario (is there?) No hassle crossing into Canada, despite my idiotic choice of the NEXUS lane.

Would also like to thank the UCR team for their hospitality. They were understandably reluctant to let a bunch of yahoos from Indiana into their event with only one Porsche in the group. Admittedly, two M3s and a '17 Camaro 1LE, along with a 997 Cup, were suspect! I hope we acquitted ourselves well!

With only four 20+/- minute sessions and a great "beer truck" track walk on Saturday, Mosport has become my favorite track... EVER! UCR members, I hope you realize how fortunate you are to have it as your home track. Unfortunately, Sunday's weather forecast proved correct with driving rain (no pun intended); the Hoosier contingent packed up early for the 12 hour trek home. More time consuming to return to US thru Detroit than entry to Canada thru Buffalo, but still not bad.

There's a current thread on RL about differences between PCA regions... so true! After experiencing DEs in three regions in six days, in my view, this is just reflective of different cultures and different leadership personalities. I can't say any are better or worse. Some might be considered more "lax" and others "more uptight", but I never felt any were less safety-conscious...and at the end of the day, that's the most important thing. They were all welcoming... it's not about the cars, right?

Next year's "epic trip"... back to Mosport for sure. Heard great things about Mt Tremblant. Maybe Calabogie? Heard scary things about Palmer and a promising description of a new track in NH.

With your help, we'll figure it out. Again, appreciate all the input. Wonderful community!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 AM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear - I'm from Ohio but temporarily living in Montreal so trying to take advantage of NE tracks this summer. done Lime Rock Park and Mt Tremblant, getting ready for Mosport with UCR in July, then WGI in August, and hopefully Calabogie in Oct.

Tremblant is s hoot, must do if you decide to make another trip - and he local RSR group is great!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a fantastic trip!

Next year look for DriveTeq if you're planning a trip north. I'm hoping they run a Mosport-Callabogie-Tremblant event. I'll be pushing them and hope to see it happen.

Mosport is a track we're all passionate about, glad you liked our little secret. We did Tremblant this year and it is absolutly a bucket lister. Two days there is perfect.

Maybe see see you next year.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:23 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
With only four 20+/- minute sessions and a great "beer truck" track walk on Saturday, Mosport has become my favorite track... EVER! UCR members, I hope you realize how fortunate you are to have it as your home track. Unfortunately, Sunday's weather forecast proved correct with driving rain (no pun intended); the Hoosier contingent packed up early for the 12 hour trek home.
Greg, you guys were parked beside me in the paddock (red E30 / grey trailer) and I kept meaning to introduce myself but got busy! Agreed on Mosport, I travelled back from the west coast while I was living there just to drive it.

FYI, you didn't miss much Sunday -- we were fogged in for a while and it was damp and cool.

I hope you'll be back!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:30 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Charlie. Always hate it when I find I missed meeting another RL'er. We'll definitely be back!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Really glad you enjoyed WGI and Mosport.......I'm at the Glen today (god, what rain, but I actually got to pass some cars )--hoping for better tomorrow.

And Mosport, well, four 100-mph corners in my goofy little Mini Cooper says it all

Gary
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you enjoyed your tour of NE tracks. We have a lot of good ones.
I was at Mosport last weekend with Trillium and we had problems with track surface coming apart - in turn 2.
Track surface and turtles could really use some restoration.
But I still had a blast - definitely a fun track.

Quick Reply: NE Bucket List Track Quest