Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NE Bucket List Track Quest

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:31 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 565 Posts

Don't know if Mid Ohio is considered NE but I LUV it and it's only about 2.5 hours from Pittsburgh.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I recently traveled from Houston to Watkins Glen. Awesome track and I am working on how to get back again next year. I'd love to LRP and Mosport as well.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:55 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Don't know if Mid Ohio is considered NE but I LUV it and it's only about 2.5 hours from Pittsburgh.
Hahaha. I was just thinking "great, now we have to have a stupid fight over what is the NE."

VIR is pretty clearly the southernmost possible point of NE, and Mid-Ohio sounds right for the western boundary. That makes a list of:

VIR
Mid-Ohio
PittRace
Summit Point
Dominion
WGI
NJMP
Lime Rock
Pocono
Palmer
Mosport Canadian Tire
Mont Tremblant

Sounds like a fun two weeks!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:32 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Another vote for Tremblant if you're in the NE.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Metro NY traditionally has the two days after Niagara at the Glen (which would be May 31/June 1), however if you are in the black run group be prepared for some serious traffic on the second day, immediately prior to the Club Race.
The June 2 day with UCR will be advanced drivers only, and likely only in the afternoon as the morning is usually utilized as a charity event to allow people with disabilities to ride around the track with instructors and advanced drivers.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:38 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

This past June at WGI they made a separate run group just for club racers
Old 11-22-2016, 08:39 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoregarage View Post
Hahaha. I was just thinking "great, now we have to have a stupid fight over what is the NE."

VIR is pretty clearly the southernmost possible point of NE, and Mid-Ohio sounds right for the western boundary. That makes a list of:

VIR
Mid-Ohio
PittRace
Summit Point
Dominion
WGI
NJMP
Lime Rock
Pocono
Palmer
Mosport Canadian Tire
Mont Tremblant

Sounds like a fun two weeks!
Didn't realize I was going to start a geography debate! For the record, I would consider Mid Ohio in the Midwest and VIR in the Southeast.

I agree with Needmore's assessment of Mid Ohio. I've been there probably a dozen times. One of my favorites. Only been to VIR once, but for four days... love it too...except I'm still getting sand out of my car and trailer (I understand they've paved the paddock now).

Summit Point's on my list, but was thinking that could be part of another (Mid Atlantic?) road trip that would include PittRace and another visit to VIR. Not familiar with Dominion (sounds like it must be in Virginia?)

Is Pocono good? Looks like it uses part of the oval with an infield road course section. Generally, not excited about those. However, Indianapolis Motor Speedway surprised me... wasn't expecting much, but it was a lot of fun. Conversely, road course at Nashville Superspeedway was awful.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:58 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Metro NY traditionally has the two days after Niagara at the Glen (which would be May 31/June 1), however if you are in the black run group be prepared for some serious traffic on the second day, immediately prior to the Club Race.
The June 2 day with UCR will be advanced drivers only, and likely only in the afternoon as the morning is usually utilized as a charity event to allow people with disabilities to ride around the track with instructors and advanced drivers.
Buzz kill! especially on Mosport. Suspect I can qualify as an advanced driver, but only a day and a half doesn't sound very attractive.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:10 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

I recently traveled from Houston to Watkins Glen. Awesome track and I am working on how to get back again next year. I'd love to LRP and Mosport as well.
Thanks Thundermoose. My main reason for planning these eastern road trips is that we'll be moving back home to the Texas Hill Country in 2018. It's a lot easier to get to NY and New England from Indiana than Texas. Just the thought of trailering from Austin to Boston is exhausting!
Old 11-22-2016, 10:12 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Would highly recommend Chin for the Glen. Also give a thumbs up for Palmer, PittRace and Summitt Point main circuit. Have no desire to run LRP and don't have a car that would meet their sound requirements.

Peter
Old 11-22-2016, 10:34 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Would highly recommend Chin for the Glen. Also give a thumbs up for Palmer, PittRace and Summitt Point main circuit. Have no desire to run LRP and don't have a car that would meet their sound requirements.

Peter
The 2017 Chin TrackDays calendar just came out yesterday and can be seen here. There are a couple of options for Northeast tracks like:

May 6-7, 2017 NJMP THUNDERBOLT!
May 15-16, 2017 Watkins Glen
May 20-21, 201 Palmer MSP
May 27-28, 2017 PittRace

OR

Sep 2, 2017 Palmer MSP
Sep 4-5, 2017 Watkins Glen
Sep 23-24, 2017 PittRace
Sep 25, 2017 Mid-Ohio

All great tracks.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:17 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike and Peter.

I had forgotten about the noise restrictions at LRP. Reading about the limits, I don't think I have a car that would work there either (other than my wife's Macan). May have to sign up for a Skippy Miata school to get on that track.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:49 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Drive the Glen with Chin. They have at least three two-day events there in 2017. They also provide more track time by far than any other organization I've encountered...and they run a great event. Enjoy and bring a spare set of brake pads.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Didn't realize I was going to start a geography debate! For the record, I would consider Mid Ohio in the Midwest and VIR in the Southeast.

I agree with Needmore's assessment of Mid Ohio. I've been there probably a dozen times. One of my favorites. Only been to VIR once, but for four days... love it too...except I'm still getting sand out of my car and trailer (I understand they've paved the paddock now).

Summit Point's on my list, but was thinking that could be part of another (Mid Atlantic?) road trip that would include PittRace and another visit to VIR. Not familiar with Dominion (sounds like it must be in Virginia?)

Is Pocono good? Looks like it uses part of the oval with an infield road course section. Generally, not excited about those. However, Indianapolis Motor Speedway surprised me... wasn't expecting much, but it was a lot of fun. Conversely, road course at Nashville Superspeedway was awful.

Thanks for all the input!
Pocono can be run in a variety of configurations. I don't like any of them.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:44 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Pocono can be run in a variety of configurations. I don't like any of them.
I thought about leaving it off that list!

Originally Posted by mkd944
The 2017 Chin TrackDays calendar just came out yesterday and can be seen here. There are a couple of options for Northeast tracks like:

May 6-7, 2017 NJMP THUNDERBOLT!
May 15-16, 2017 Watkins Glen
May 20-21, 201 Palmer MSP
May 27-28, 2017 PittRace
Assuming I can convince my wife that this really needs to happen, this looks like my May schedule. Never been to NJMP, loved PittRace, WGI should be on everyone's bucket list.

Quick Reply: NE Bucket List Track Quest