Sponsored by:

Helmet communicator for DE

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:33 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Helmet communicator for DE

Looking for inexpensive things to put on my Christmas list.

Chatterbox mic and ear piece that fits into a full face helmet, looks like something that would be useful as a student at DEs.

It looks like there is a newer style "pro", and an older style.

What is the type that PCA instructors normally use?

Thanks

David
Old 11-14-2016, 09:28 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

the newer ones are much more sturdy and last longer. The communicator part also works better, the battery lasts longer and you can tell when it's charging. There are still guys with the older ines, but there are adapters available to use the newer helmet piece with the older communicator for those times.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:38 PM
TJA1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get the newer style student headset and the 3.5 mm to 6 pin DIN converter cable then you'll be all set no matter which version Chatterbox the instructor has.

I ended up buying an entire system for myself once I got a helmet with built in electronics. I've had several instructors with Chin and PCA use my system. I mounted the main unit to my shifter riser facing the passenger seat so the instructor can mess with the volume control.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:42 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

I would disagree with the gen 2 being better made. it's absolute garbage if your expectation is to be able to communicate. I'm done with chatter box and looking for something a bit more up to the task. If anyone has a lead on something under $300 (what I've sunk into various Chatterbox crap) please let me know.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:42 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TJA1
Just get the newer style student headset and the 3.5 mm to 6 pin DIN converter cable then you'll be all set no matter which version Chatterbox the instructor has.

I ended up buying an entire system for myself once I got a helmet with built in electronics. I've had several instructors with Chin and PCA use my system. I mounted the main unit to my shifter riser facing the passenger seat so the instructor can mess with the volume control.
That's not a bad idea, that might also eliminate the wires getting accidentally pulled or even getting in the way.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2016, 09:44 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I would disagree with the gen 2 being better made. it's absolute garbage if your expectation is to be able to communicate. I'm done with chatter box and looking for something a bit more up to the task. If anyone has a lead on something under $300 (what I've sunk into various Chatterbox crap) please let me know.
But what about compatibility between brands?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:53 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Most guys either have a Chatterbox or the Blue Nady. I haven't been very impressed with either of them. When I started instructing, only one guy really liked his communicator, so that's what I went went: Nady MRC-11 or MRC-11x. Not in production anymore, about $50 used on Ebay. Headsets are the same as the Blue Nady, and those are about $12 each.

The unit has a two way radio as well, but I don't use it. Build quality is very good. Uses either 3 or 4 AAA batteries, I use rechargeable Nimh batteries. In a pinch, a plain old pack of alkalines will work. I've been very happy with mine.

There is a MRC-11X on Ebay now for $35 shipped (looks like a good deal), you will need a couple of headsets, so you could be set for $60, however one hitch. I can't find the headsets in stock anywhere, they have gone unobtainium. The newer Chatterbox headsets may work if they are wired the same way.

-Mike

PS: OG Racing might have them here. I would call and make sure they have stock before pulling the trigger.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:02 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I have both the Nady and the new chatterbox. Both are garbage really, Nady doesn't work with the electronics in my Stilo. Chatterbox randomly stops working mid session in student cars sometimes and it's 6 months old. Audio on the Nady is better.

After using stilo's dedicated system I'd buy something similar in an instant if it were portable and had student headsets. There were a couple of promising threads on new developments that really went nowhere.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:18 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

OG racing is where I was looking.

As most time, RL came through with help, but this time I am now more confused

What is a stilo ?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

A prewired helmet.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-15-2016, 09:56 AM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Nady. it works fine and battery life is very good. biggest issue is that the headsets and associated wiring are delicate; it is easy to pull on them the wrong way and poof -- no more communication. i've personally had to re-solder mine twice (and it's a bitch because the wire is SO fine). if you and your student are careful handling the headsets/wiring then it'll be OK. but if in a hurry and forgetful -- the wiring will fail.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Small zip ties securing the wire into and from the earphone of the Nady to the hard plastic cover on the stem down to the microphone cures that. I used to use two.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:10 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

There are a few good looking options in the EU - by Rossa Racing. They have a unit called the IC200 that looks like it would be perfect, though you would have to create a female stilo to female chatterbox cable to get a student headset.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:23 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Got a new Stilo helmet this year and had its earphone / speaker option installed with an IMSA style cable out. Converter cable to a new Chatterbox, and everything works just fine: student gets the Chatterbox boom, clip the Chatterbox to yours harness, etc. HMS and Apex conspired to put things together for me.

I had used a couple or more Nady PMCs for many years. I wouldn't describe them as harshly as others but they are not high-end audio equipment! You get what you pay for. Biggest hassle was a battery cover than always fell off -- duct tape to the rescue.

Maybe there's a niche market for ready-to-go Porsche-quality communicators.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:26 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Got a new Stilo helmet this year and had its earphone / speaker option installed with an IMSA style cable out. Converter cable to a new Chatterbox, and everything works just fine: student gets the Chatterbox boom, clip the Chatterbox to yours harness, etc. HMS and Apex conspired to put things together for me.

I had used a couple or more Nady PMCs for many years. I wouldn't describe them as harshly as others but they are not high-end audio equipment! You get what you pay for. Biggest hassle was a battery cover than always fell off -- duct tape to the rescue.

Maybe there's a niche market for ready-to-go Porsche-quality communicators.
I am sorry to paint a dark picture, but that's going to work for maybe 6 months. There is something about the chatterbox 3.5mm jacks that start to degrade quickly with use. The result will be audio that cuts in and out or squeals.

Quick Reply: Helmet communicator for DE