Sponsored by:

Helmet communicator for DE

Old 08-17-2017, 01:25 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

Btw rallynuts has a 15% sale this week.
I don't see the sale on their site - is there a coupon code or otherwise?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:33 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
I don't see the sale on their site - is there a coupon code or otherwise?
Sorry, my bad, it was for some esoteric brand that was not clear in the email. If you mention me to Craig, you might get a discount.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:54 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rosso now has an IMSA headset as well.
Very interested in this. What is a source for a IMSA plug student headset?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I tried out SNB's Rosso this weekend. Sound quality was great as are the separate volume controls. I've got one on order.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I received the IC-200. Nice package, seemingly great volume into Stilo helmet electronics.
The best part is the camera audio out level is good and INDEPENDENT of the driver and co-driver volumes! This means I can set my audio mixer before the SCHD once and forget about it. I was able to quickly figure out a physical install as shown in the pic:
Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a new Stilo helmet and I had the mic and ear speakers installed. My old Chatterbox didn’t work with this so I bought a new Chatterbox unit. Volume is to low in my Stilo helmet.

Is there a one stop place to buy the Rosso unit which seems best correct?.....and a lollipop student headset?
Old 04-29-2018, 06:50 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I have an IC200 in a 997.2 and have tried it with a variety of Stilo helmets, and Stilo compatible student headsets.
I am running it off the 9V battery to isolate it from noisy vehicle power. The sound quality is amazing but for the electrical noise pickup.

I get very significant electrical noise (alternator whine) pickup in both the earpieces and the line output from the Stilo.
I'm 99% sure the noise pickup is due to the magnetic pickup of the dynamic mic elements. I can move the mic around and fine electrical nulls and noise points. For instance, near the HVAC controls is really noise.

In normal driving position, there is, unfortunately, a lot of noise. Moving the cables around does nothing, I don't think that is the problem.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

DB
Old 04-29-2018, 07:53 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Seems to depend on the car and where I'm sitting. Most of the time it's not there. There are computers under the passenger seat on some Porsches. It's strong RF interference, not a ground loop / alternator whine. Your comment reminded me to send Rally Nuts a note about the topic. I'll let you know what I hear.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

I've found the new Porsches the worst for interference. A new Camaro had a bit, BMW seem clean.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:21 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Seems to depend on the car and where I'm sitting. Most of the time it's not there. There are computers under the passenger seat on some Porsches. It's strong RF interference, not a ground loop / alternator whine. Your comment reminded me to send Rally Nuts a note about the topic. I'll let you know what I hear.
The frequency of the noise varies with RPM and seems to be exactly 2xRPM which means its somehow related to engine rotation.
I just tried keeping my head steady and moving the IC200 around the car. Less of an impact than moving the headset, but still had some effect.

Turns out my current intercom mounting location, namely to the right of the radio is pretty bad.
Two quiet spots are mid door on top of the storage bin and on the passenger sun visor (like it was mounted to a full cage),

The doors will probably get in the way.
The visor is possible, but I'll have to be creative about running the cable down along the right A pillar and then will probably have to extend the driver cable.
It's also a little bulky up there.

I hope Rally Nuts has some suggestions!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

A little further experimentation.

1)Adding a tin foil shield behind the intercom made the noise worse.

2)Mounting the intercom on the roll cage (half cage) segment between and behind the seats is a really electrically quiet spot! Only problem is I can't reach the controls once harnessed in.
I am inclined to use this spot and just leave the volumes preset to mid point which has been the typical setting. Worst case, we can adjust if need be.

3)If I run 12V power to the intercom rather than the 9V battery and include the Rosso 12v 'noise filter' (which I think is just a large ferrite bead) it is nearly dead quiet!
I will likely power the unit from the center console cigarette lighter adapter to test on the next track day. If it works, I'll more permanently find power.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:51 AM
eggman51
AutoX

I realize this is an old thread, being necro'd by someone with 1 post.... but I am wondering if you know where I could get a custom cable made for a Stilo GT helmet so I can wire it into my Sena 20S Evo bluetooth intercom system https://www.sena.com/product/20s-evo.

I use this intercom system because I often have a passenger with me during lapping days, and I use it with my kids when we snowboard. I've got it working with the Stilo earpieces, but I would like to get a cleaner custom cable made, as well as integrate the Stilo mic.

Hoping someone heree can assist, the seems to be one of the most knowledgable group of folks google could find for me.

Cheers,
Eamonn aka eggman51
Old 01-23-2021, 12:32 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by eggman51
I realize this is an old thread, being necro'd by someone with 1 post.... but I am wondering if you know where I could get a custom cable made for a Stilo GT helmet so I can wire it into my Sena 20S Evo bluetooth intercom system https://www.sena.com/product/20s-evo.

I use this intercom system because I often have a passenger with me during lapping days, and I use it with my kids when we snowboard. I've got it working with the Stilo earpieces, but I would like to get a cleaner custom cable made, as well as integrate the Stilo mic.

Hoping someone heree can assist, the seems to be one of the most knowledgable group of folks google could find for me.

Cheers,
Eamonn aka eggman51

How do you manage the "student" headset using the SENA unit. In a DE that Student Headset needs to be easily and quickly popped in and out of the helmet.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:04 PM
eggman51
AutoX

I gave up on the Sena and bought a SPEEDCOM 2 person wired intercom. It still has something that needs to go into the instructor's helmet, but it's less finicky. My daughter and I use the Sena when we are snowboarding
Old 01-26-2021, 11:36 PM
roadie13
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
How do you manage the "student" headset using the SENA unit. In a DE that Student Headset needs to be easily and quickly popped in and out of the helmet.
I use a Sena set for instructing, or used to before c19. At the beginning of the weekend I'll fix the second set into the student's helmet with some sticky tape; takes about 5minutes. It stays there the whole weekend and you have marvellous communication throughout. Can even do lead/follow and not lose contact. At the end of the weekend I remove the set, takes about 1 minute.

Now, if you have more than one student that's a different story.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helmet communicator for DE