Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet communicator for DE

Old 11-15-2016, 12:45 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
There are a few good looking options in the EU - by Rossa Racing. They have a unit called the IC200 that looks like it would be perfect, though you would have to create a female stilo to female chatterbox cable to get a student headset.
Stilo has some in car devices used for rally racing, and that is what I use for the big bend open race. I had to buy it in europe as I couldnt find a US dealer with inventory, but it was cheap (<180) given the Euro. Plus each headset has independent volume control.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

There are a few good looking options in the EU - by Rossa Racing. They have a unit called the IC200 that looks like it would be perfect, though you would have to create a female stilo to female chatterbox cable to get a student headset.
http://www.rallynuts.com/intercom-amplifiers/rosso-racing-ic-200-intercom-amplifier.html

Looks really interesting. I'm sure one of the US race radio companies would build the connector needed. You should buy it and tell us how it works!
Old 11-15-2016, 02:37 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
http://www.rallynuts.com/intercom-amplifiers/rosso-racing-ic-200-intercom-amplifier.html

Looks really interesting. I'm sure one of the US race radio companies would build the connector needed. You should buy it and tell us how it works!
I probably will. I've been researching the connectors for IMSA and Stilo, and it's all based on old military/helicopter standards (TP120/Nexus), but with different pin-outs. It will be pretty trivial to make cables for Stilo/IMSA and chatter box work with an intercom amp that has Stilo male connectors, assuming the impedance of the chatterbox headset is compatible with the ic200. Someone needs to come up with a mic boom design that is easy to temporarily attach to a student's helmet. The chatter box headset has a ****ty mic and is too sensitive to positioning the ear piece to work reliably, not to mention the cable is prone to working lose inside and cutting out. My ideal portable headset would be an easy to attach boom with a dynamic mic, with some cheap off the shelf ear buds.

I've looked at the stilo WRC intercoms, and the only problem is that they are large and bulky - a lot bigger than what you'd expect after looking at photos. Not something you would consider portable, even though they can run on a 9v battery. They are designed to mount to a roll bar. The Stilo DG-10 looks interesting, it's smaller and has some cool noise canceling features and bluetooth, but only runs on 12v power. Few of the advanced student cars I've jumped into typically have a working 12v plug.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

In process of making a legit student headset with an imsa connector, more like a lollipop with a speaker type vs needing headphones and all....will update when I have a chance

been using a peltor unit this season and really really like it
Old 11-15-2016, 08:39 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

This is all great information.

It seems like there really isn't a standard unit that instructors use, too many brands.

Perhaps there is more common usage within a particular region, ie. Northeastern
Old 11-15-2016, 08:47 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

I've never run with a group that didn't obligate the instructors to provide a communicator. I feel like this is a solution in search of a problem. *shrug*
Old 11-15-2016, 09:01 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I've never run with a group that didn't obligate the instructors to provide a communicator. I feel like this is a solution in search of a problem. *shrug*
My last DE, the instructor had difficulty with his unit, lost some of my run group.

Mentioned to me multiple times, the head sets cost $20.

So there was a reason for this
Old 11-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
This is all great information.

It seems like there really isn't a standard unit that instructors use, too many brands.

Perhaps there is more common usage within a particular region, ie. Northeastern
I haven't seen a Nady setup in the Northeast in probably a decade. The standard unit people use is a Chatterbox with most people having the new ones.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:04 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I haven't seen a Nady setup in the Northeast in probably a decade. The standard unit people use is a Chatterbox with most people having the new ones.
Thanks Matt

BTW. My road hawk works great.

I wish my driving skills looked better in the videos!!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Thanks Matt

BTW. My road hawk works great.

I wish my driving skills looked better in the videos!!
The great driving filter was a $50 upgrade. Sorry I forgot to mention it when you bought the camera.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:43 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The great driving filter was a $50 upgrade. Sorry I forgot to mention it when you bought the camera.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:30 AM
lateapex1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ShakeandBake,

I saw the Sena Bluetooth headset at the Trifecta event. Richard S has it, looks very promising. Thinking of getting it since I can use it for karting as well. May be some local motorcycle stores might have it to try out. It's under 300 as well for a dual pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 11-26-2016, 12:55 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by lateapex1
ShakeandBake,

I saw the Sena Bluetooth headset at the Trifecta event. Richard S has it, looks very promising. Thinking of getting it since I can use it for karting as well. May be some local motorcycle stores might have it to try out. It's under 300 as well for a dual pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
That's good to know. I'll try to follow up with him to find out how it went.

I kinda went a bit overboard. I snagged a Rossa ic200 and a Stilo DG10 from rallynuts (the GBP exchange rate is crazy low right now) to play with, along with a bunch of connectors from an aviation supplier, and an IMSA dynamic noise resistant boom mic with a standard headphone plug for earbuds from Linda at Apex to make into a student headset. If I can figure out how to easily attach a boom mic to a student helmet (maybe some blue painters tape), I can pair it up with $10 ear buds.........We're going in.....
Old 11-26-2016, 02:41 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

That's good to know. I'll try to follow up with him to find out how it went.

I kinda went a bit overboard. I snagged a Rossa ic200 and a Stilo DG10 from rallynuts (the GBP exchange rate is crazy low right now) to play with, along with a bunch of connectors from an aviation supplier, and an IMSA dynamic noise resistant boom mic with a standard headphone plug for earbuds from Linda at Apex to make into a student headset. If I can figure out how to easily attach a boom mic to a student helmet (maybe some blue painters tape), I can pair it up with $10 ear buds.........We're going in.....
seems like it would be reasonable to require students to have some built in com's... define a connection standard and go for it. In the end good com's benifits thd student and in the big scheme of things wouldn't be peanuts.

its a pita trying to strap in and untangle all the wires and get the student set up etc.

when I was at the ITS for BMW the inatiinal instructor described a blue tooth setup he clipped to the students harness

elimiated thd cross cockpit wiring.

i need to look into that further.

m
Old 11-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a reason instructors use the Chatterbox

It's student friendly especially if your own helmet is wired for sound and mix like Stilo and Simpson

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helmet communicator for DE