Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you check your track alignment?

Old 11-04-2016, 02:43 AM
Sarum87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do you check your track alignment?

Just put a new set of tires on my 991 gt3 rs after 5 track days on them. I'm thinking I'll recheck my alignment. How often do you check your alignment and when you do do you notice if there is any meaningful change? Thanks.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Umm once a year for my race car which is not a lot.

When do you do bolt check? Every race
Old 11-04-2016, 08:46 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 .........
Start marking the nuts (or have your shop do it). Easy visual check at the track.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:11 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

After an agricultural weekend or if I've had a hard curb strike. I also rotate tires between events and closely look for uneven or unusual wear. I will check it if I feel the car is getting squirrely.

-Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Before every race. I do them myself and hate doing it. Much work.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:04 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
After an agricultural weekend
In that case I better head down and get checked...
Old 11-04-2016, 05:07 PM
PPo
Drifting

Have you tried using a pyrometer to understand how your alignment is working??

I have a belief that the internet has made people lazy(ignorant?) on proper set-up. Alignment specs for the same model car can't really be just copied unless everything else is the same... and everything else is never the same!! Great to use as a ballpark to get you close. There is a reason why fast teams in pro racing are out with alignment strings and turn plates often.

Understand what your alignment settings are, understand how your car reacts to changes, and think about how to optimize your car for you! Then get an alignment done when you want to make a change... I can't remember a track season where I didn't do at least 2 alignments. But I hit things often! ;-)
Old 11-04-2016, 05:46 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

um, haven't yet.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:14 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Before every race. I do them myself and hate doing it. Much work.
Ditto.

Part of the ritual of being prepared. Also gives you a chance to eyeball safety critical parts.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:59 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

What is everyone using to check their alignment?
Old 11-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Iphone hehe
No wonder my tire looks like that

On a serious note, i just send the car to alignment shop, i dont have the proper tools

Name:  photo634.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  996.4 KB
Old 11-04-2016, 09:46 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by dgm8138
What is everyone using to check their alignment?
Alignment is not rocket science. The tricky part is getting a reliable point of reference. There are many ways to do this. In my experience, the most important factor is how much the guy doing the alignment cares.

Leveled position in my driveway (I have to put a floor tile under the right rear). Digital level with very straight stick for measuring camber. Zero the level horizontally. Lay the level on the stick and lay the assembly top to bottom on the center of the wheel, read the camber (90 degrees means 0 camber).

For toe, plumb bob, string, sharpie, blue tape, and tape measure. Use the plumb bob and string to measure leading and trailing edges of tire sidewall or rim (someplace repeatable) and mark on blue tape placed on driveway with sharpy. Do both sides. Roll car back, measure difference in lengths from left to right to determine toe. For the front, I want zero. For the rear I want 1/8" toed in.

I can do it pretty quick. It's faster than putting the car on the trailer and taking it to shop. I've even done it at the track. Tire wear is nice and even and the measurements are very repeatable.

Originally Posted by Paseb
Iphone hehe
No wonder my tire looks like that

On a serious note, i just send the car to alignment shop, i dont have the proper tools

Attachment 1104940
That tire doesn't look that bad to me.

-Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 10:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Trig is a valuable tool to simply check toe and camber.

that 1/8" toe in, can take the width of the wheel . take the 1/8" and divide by that..... INV TAN on the calcultor and you get toe in in degrees

same thing with how far you are off vertical for camber.

pretty accurate actually.

mk
Originally Posted by TXE36
Alignment is not rocket science. The tricky part is getting a reliable point of reference. There are many ways to do this. In my experience, the most important factor is how much the guy doing the alignment cares.

Leveled position in my driveway (I have to put a floor tile under the right rear). Digital level with very straight stick for measuring camber. Zero the level horizontally. Lay the level on the stick and lay the assembly top to bottom on the center of the wheel, read the camber (90 degrees means 0 camber).

For toe, plumb bob, string, sharpie, blue tape, and tape measure. Use the plumb bob and string to measure leading and trailing edges of tire sidewall or rim (someplace repeatable) and mark on blue tape placed on driveway with sharpy. Do both sides. Roll car back, measure difference in lengths from left to right to determine toe. For the front, I want zero. For the rear I want 1/8" toed in.

I can do it pretty quick. It's faster than putting the car on the trailer and taking it to shop. I've even done it at the track. Tire wear is nice and even and the measurements are very repeatable.

That tire doesn't look that bad to me.

-Mike
Old 11-04-2016, 10:24 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nut and Bolt, after every race. Check alignment, after every race. Why? There is ALWAYS something loose and ALWAYS even with monoballs the alignment is off.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:18 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I do a visual after a race, each nut/bolt is marked so i can quickly scan to see if it has moved...Alignment checked once, or if tire wear accelerates and handling gets weird...My question would be "how often do you find your race car out of alignment" ? I can't imagine it happens too often ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How often do you check your track alignment?