Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Mexican Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I sure hope 2017 marks the end of the Merc total dominance we have seen these last three years. Red Bull was dominant the 4 years Vettel won, but not this dominant. Anyway I don't have a problem with the Mercs being good, it's getting rather boring with them having such a huge performance gap over their closest rivals race after race after race after race on most (but not all) tracks.
^ this
Old 10-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

F%$# Verstappen.. that's all I have to say.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
They should put a gravel trap on that section of track at turn #1. Then the drivers would know there will be consequences for going into the turn too hot. The way it was handled in this race was a bit of a joke.
http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/
Old 10-31-2016, 12:48 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Great article. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Right on the mark, IMO.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
F%$# Verstappen.. that's all I have to say.
Me too. I've been saying it all along.
Despite his talent, he is a spoiled, entitled teenager who doesn't belong on a top Formula 1 team. Not yet.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:13 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Me too. I've been saying it all along.
Despite his talent, he is a spoiled, entitled teenager who doesn't belong on a top Formula 1 team. Not yet.
Most of the drivers take a year or so to mature. Grosjean and Vettel both were deemed unsafe at the beginning of their careers.

Max just needs to mature a little bit and I think by next year he will calm down a lot.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:24 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Great article, but the problem I have with gravel traps is that they invariable bring out safety cars. I would rather see a sludge type of material that slows the car to a crawl, but doesn't leave it beached. Race continues, drover pays a big penalty and no need for arbitrary calls from race control that may or may not come down.

The lack of or delayed call to give the position to Vettel is the only reason he and Ric got close enough to create another incident. Penalizing Vettel is adding insult to injury.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:31 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Vettel seems to be regressing to join Verrstappen in whiny little bitch-hood. Let them have a slap-off
Old 11-01-2016, 01:09 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb

The lack of or delayed call to give the position to Vettel is the only reason he and Ric got close enough to create another incident. Penalizing Vettel is adding insult to injury.
The "stewards" were probably not paying attention because it was such a boring race. Almost all the drivers would know to have immediately given up the position, but NOT Max... talented but reminds me of TO or Ocho Cinco in F1. I really hope someone puts him in his place soon....

Max was also blocking the entire remaining 4 laps but in a very subtle so he wouldnt get called out. He ultimately out Verstappened the Verstappen rule I agree that Vettal only got called out because of his radio rant....
Old 11-01-2016, 12:16 PM
PPo
Drifting

What a joke the Stewards made of the race.

Was anybody else wondering why Hamilton didn't get asked to concede his spot to Rosberg after the first corner?? Most people here know damn well that if Hamilton tried to keep his car on track he would have never made it around the next two corners and kept the lead. If I was Rosberg, I would have used Hamilton's first lap "line" on the second lap (of racing) to gain time on him and setup a pass.

Verstappen's should have received a much larger penalty then 5 seconds for being a dick. The whole RedBull team, and the whole freaking world saw that Verstappen was backing Vettel into Riccardo. They knew he had to give the position back, and would rather have Riccardo take advantage of it then Vettel. I understand why, but that's not very sportsmanlike and reveals very poor character.

I can't imagine the anger at Ferrari after the FIA penalized Vettel for dangerous driving... It was a total BS setup by RedBull. If anything, the team should also be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct, or just give the 5 seconds to Verstappen and call it a race.

I have nothing but good things to say about Riccardo and totally respect his driving and attitude towards the sport. I was a bit disappointed when he let Verstappen by, but i understand why they made that decision. He is better than the BS RedBull showed this race. He should strongly consider another team after what I saw this weekend...

Verstappen has what Italians call "Una faccia di schiaffi". A face you just want to slap...
Old 11-01-2016, 06:19 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Here's the explanation from Martin Brundle.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/240...asnt-penalised

Seems to me like the stewards suffer from information overload when making these decisions with all the data they have at their disposal. They should just use common sense like most of us arm chair F1 fans have.

Yeah and I'm sure Vettel's swearing at Charlie had no effect on the penalty he eventually received.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:22 AM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Was out of town and just watched the race last night. Very exciting last few laps, reminded me of F1 prior to the current Mercedes dominance when there was something to cheer for.

But I have several questions:

1. Why wasn't Hamilton penalized for the first corner corner cutting? He gained a massive time and space advantage for locking up?

2. Is it me or does it seem that F1 stewards are favoring Verstappen when it comes to NOT penalizing him? If his own team is telling him to give the position back, but the stewards are telling him that it will be investigated after the race, then there appears to be favoritism IMHO.

3. I didn't see anything wrong with Vettel defending his position against Ricciardo, that was some good old fashion racing. The butt hurt feelings from the FIA are ridiculous. Vettel was pissed from the heat of the moment and would not have otherwise said those things on radio.

I guess it all worked out in the end as if ALL this other stuff didn't happen, my favorite driver, Ricciardo, would more than likely have taken 3rd position anyway with the fresher tires and his pace.

Max is a young talent with incredible speed, but doesn't know how to win yet. I thought he burned through his tires in pushing Nico for 2nd when he knew he could never have held that spot to the end even if he had got by Nico. His 3rd should have been a 5th because of it.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:35 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Was out of town and just watched the race last night. Very exciting last few laps, reminded me of F1 prior to the current Mercedes dominance when there was something to cheer for.

1. Why wasn't Hamilton penalized for the first corner corner cutting? He gained a massive time and space advantage for locking up?

2. Is it me or does it seem that F1 stewards are favoring Verstappen when it comes to NOT penalizing him? If his own team is telling him to give the position back, but the stewards are telling him that it will be investigated after the race, then there appears to be favoritism IMHO.

3. I didn't see anything wrong with Vettel defending his position against Ricciardo, that was some good old fashion racing. The butt hurt feelings from the FIA are ridiculous. Vettel was pissed from the heat of the moment and would not have otherwise said those things on radio.

I guess it all worked out in the end as if ALL this other stuff didn't happen, my favorite driver, Ricciardo, would more than likely have taken 3rd position anyway with the fresher tires and his pace.

Max is a young talent with incredible speed, but doesn't know how to win yet. I thought he burned through his tires in pushing Nico for 2nd when he knew he could never have held that spot to the end even if he had got by Nico. His 3rd should have been a 5th because of it.
#1) Many people have been asking that same question. No answer.

#2) They are clearly been favoring Ves. He can do no wrong in their eyes. If they would have starting penalizing him from the very beginning, a whole lot of on-track stuff would have never happened, including this big mess in Mexico.

#3) I didn't either. I thought that was good racing, but it was something that never would have happened if not for the little ***** backing Vettel into Ric. Ric would not have caught Vettel if Ves would have given the position back that Vettel earned on track.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:05 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by CFGT3

Thank you!! I know you know your stuff about F1. Nice to read about another person completely in line with how I viewed the incidents.

Hanging around some long time (25+ years) F1 fans, car racers, and total car guys on Monday afternoon... we all had very similar conclusions. How come sooo many VERY knowledgable, VERY experienced fans independently come to the same conclusion, but the FIA can't? BS politics is the only answer...

How about those Mexican race fans!! Awesome to see them hooting, cheering, and enjoying the race so much. It made me want to go to the race next year! ;-)

Quick Reply: 2016 Mexican Grand Prix