Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Weekend in White Group at Mosport

Old 10-25-2016, 12:13 AM
GentlemanRacer
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust View Post
Your 'apprehension' at 4 is well founded, and the odds are that if you ever did feel slip there, it wouldn't end well.

There is some camber on the left side of the track; use it to help you over and down the hill.

Have fun.
Hill? I thought turn 4 was just a valley? Keep your foot on the gas, turn left and head for the apex of 5a.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Wild Weasel
User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer View Post
Hill? I thought turn 4 was just a valley? Keep your foot on the gas, turn left and head for the apex of 5a.
The entry is at the crest of a hill. That's why you can't see it.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:08 PM
GentlemanRacer
User

To paraphrase the Oracle from The Matrix " There is no Hill"
Old 10-25-2016, 04:04 PM
chartersb
User

Once, I asked Richard Spenard where he lifted and turned in to T4, referring to a Rothman's Turbo Cup 944. He told me "you don't need to lift, you always get to the bottom; you just adjust your entry to T5 when you get there".
Old 10-26-2016, 11:28 AM
PPo
Super User

Originally Posted by Sir5n View Post
Not sure coasting into turn 4 settles the car as well as going as fast as the car will go and then lightly tapping the break at the crest of the hill and pointing into the turn.
Without question your suggested approach is the goal. A long coast into 4 and building up the speed as you start to get comfortable is how you can get to that point. In my teams 924S on 180 tread wear street tires, it's flat out after turn in to 3, with either a a tenth of a second lift or a left foot brake jab for the turn into 4. Mind you, I could only do that a few times this year as I built up the nuts to do it and/or had too much race traffic around. Typically, I lift for longer then I should, or brake slightly, but I know I am leaving speed on the table as I am working on other things...

I was recommending a long cost into 4, without using the right foot on the brake pedal, as a way to get used to not using the brakes into 4. For many drivers, after 100s of laps applying brakes into 4, the muscle memory alone of not using the brakes scares the crap out of them. Once you try it 10-15 times and get comfortable with the idea of not braking, you can really start to carry speed INTO 4. In my opinion, the bottom of 4 into 5 is the scariest part of the track... it's when the teams car feels the fastest.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:59 AM
CL944135I
User

I'd bet if you looked at your data or video, you are doing almost the same speed at the bottom of 4 as you are at the end of the back straight in your 924s. I know we do in our SP2 cars.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:37 PM
gbuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo View Post
A long coast into 4 and building up the speed as you start to get comfortable is how you can get to that point.
Just make sure that if you do this you don't find yourself coasting over the crest; you need to be on the power so the car digs in and settles. This season I wrestled with lifting before T10 v-a-v tapping the brake to settle the car, then power....latter feels better but my exit w/o brake is 1-2mph faster IF I don't stay off the power for too long before the turn.

Gary
Old 10-26-2016, 04:03 PM
seanseidman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbuff View Post
Just make sure that if you do this you don't find yourself coasting over the crest; you need to be on the power so the car digs in and settles. This season I wrestled with lifting before T10 v-a-v tapping the brake to settle the car, then power....latter feels better but my exit w/o brake is 1-2mph faster IF I don't stay off the power for too long before the turn.

Gary
i can't imagine taking T10 without a tap ( I'm in a Spec Boxster), what do you drive?
Old 10-26-2016, 05:56 PM
gbuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seanseidman View Post
i can't imagine taking T10 without a tap ( I'm in a Spec Boxster), what do you drive?
Your car is MUCH faster than mine, and just about all the cars I've followed through there do at least tap.....I'm in a non-S Mini (121hp) so if I get through 9 OK (i.e. not drifting out too wide) I can get away with it. Puts me WAY out on 10's exit curb, though --glad there's that little extension outside of it!

Gary
Old 10-26-2016, 08:38 PM
seanseidman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbuff View Post
Your car is MUCH faster than mine, and just about all the cars I've followed through there do at least tap.....I'm in a non-S Mini (121hp) so if I get through 9 OK (i.e. not drifting out too wide) I can get away with it. Puts me WAY out on 10's exit curb, though --glad there's that little extension outside of it! Gary
The earlier I can get back to throttle the better
Old 10-27-2016, 01:08 AM
Sir5n
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PPo View Post
Without question your suggested approach is the goal. A long coast into 4 and building up the speed as you start to get comfortable is how you can get to that point. In my teams 924S on 180 tread wear street tires, it's flat out after turn in to 3, with either a a tenth of a second lift or a left foot brake jab for the turn into 4. Mind you, I could only do that a few times this year as I built up the nuts to do it and/or had too much race traffic around. Typically, I lift for longer then I should, or brake slightly, but I know I am leaving speed on the table as I am working on other things...

I was recommending a long cost into 4, without using the right foot on the brake pedal, as a way to get used to not using the brakes into 4. For many drivers, after 100s of laps applying brakes into 4, the muscle memory alone of not using the brakes scares the crap out of them. Once you try it 10-15 times and get comfortable with the idea of not braking, you can really start to carry speed INTO 4. In my opinion, the bottom of 4 into 5 is the scariest part of the track... it's when the teams car feels the fastest.
Sounds like a very sensible way to build up to it. I usually try do a lot of this on the cool down lap.

I would like to see events with a NO BRAKE Race segment. Never done it but the concept rings in my head every warm up and cool down lap.

Just saying it could be fun....
Old 10-27-2016, 07:56 AM
Paseb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, vince just saw your new avatar!

that's looks like a nice car!!!
Old 10-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Wild Weasel
User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n View Post
Sounds like a very sensible way to build up to it. I usually try do a lot of this on the cool down lap.

I would like to see events with a NO BRAKE Race segment. Never done it but the concept rings in my head every warm up and cool down lap.

Just saying it could be fun....
My last instructor had me doing exactly this on the cool-down laps and I kept it up during the past DE running solo. I think the only time I used the brakes at all was for turn 5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My First Weekend in White Group at Mosport

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: